Novice: Drive letters changed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice: Drive letters changed.

(Tried posting this, my first, a few hours ago, after registering, but got a message about 'Invalid Forum' or some such. Re-composing now, so hope it gets through. I'll take a clipboard copy this time!)

After installing, several of my drive letters changed, presumably making room for this 'Generic SCSI drive', labeled G. Is that normal? It obviously loses any shortcuts I had referring to those drives (CF card, SD card, Digicam) and the names need editing. What's the best approach - make those changes or re-assign G to something lik X, when hopefully I'll get my old labels back?

--
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

Execute: Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc and reassign the drive letters the way you want.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Thanks for that fast response.

OK, understoood.

I successfully accomplished my task (thanks!) so, to free up tray space, I exited Daemon. I sort of expected to see G: vanish, and the H, I and K shuffle back to become G, H and I again. But I see that G: remains. Is that OK? Can I assume it will be there after a reboot too? No side effects to watch out for? For example, won't affect my DVD and CD drives (T and V)?

Sorry if some of these are truly basic questions - but I've never used a 'virtual' drive before.

--
      Terry, West Sussex, UK

Comment

Originally Posted by terrypin
        Thanks for that fast response.

OK, understoood.

I successfully accomplished my task (thanks!) so, to free up tray space, I exited Daemon. I sort of expected to see G: vanish, and the H, I and K shuffle back to become G, H and I again. But I see that G: remains. Is that OK? Can I assume it will be there after a reboot too? No side effects to watch out for? For example, won't affect my DVD and CD drives (T and V)?

Sorry if some of these are truly basic questions - but I've never used a 'virtual' drive before.

--
        Terry, West Sussex, UK
        No it will not affect your other drives and yes it will stay there after reboot. Closing out Daemon tools doesn't mean you turned off the virtual drive. If you want to turn it off, right click on the daemon tools icon in bottom right corner of Windows, go to Virtual CD/DVD rom, set number of devices = 0.

If by any small chance it does affect your other drives I'm pretty sure it would only affect your direct shortcut links that are user made. If you run into the problem feel free to post it on the boards and we will help you out.
        Last edited by Xristaki; 31.10.2005, 00:49.

Comment

Thanks a lot, Xristaki, appreciate your help.

--
          Terry, West Sussex, UK

Comment

Working...
          X