StarForce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarForce

Hi guys this stuff was probably asked (and answered ) a lot of times but I think we need organize things a bit.

Making backup copy of StarForce using Alcohol

First we have 2 types of StarForce : with and without key (key on media?).
    Then we have StarForce for CD and StarForce for DVD.

So here I will update and summarize your post, so far I know that :

- Uninstal StarForce drivers if installed using SF driver remover (link below)
    - to create (any type?) backup you need to turn on DPM option (need to enable "ignore disk error" on CD ? on DVD ??).

Tools to use
    - Alcohol 120% (http://shop.alcohol-soft.com/en/alcohol_info.php)
    - StarForce drivers uninstaller ( http://onlinesecurity-on.com/downloads/sfdrvrem.zip )
    - StarForce Nightmare ( http://starf.bestmedia.kiev.ua/ )
    - SFCure - works to allow SFNightmare work with new versions of SF ( http://rapidshare.de/files/6036094/sfcure01h.zip.htmll - remove .html ext after downloading)

Is it correct , what are the other considerations ?
    Is options listed above (keyed/keyless and CD/DVD) are the only "diversions" of StarForce or am I missing something ?

Let's together organize things a bit.
    Another issue - how to play such copies ?
    if I understend correctly even with good image file created as abouve you need to use SFNightmare and SFCure/ Win2k3Node disabler - is it correct ?
    Anyway I think we also need to create a generic manual for using images too.

[b]Aperent order of orerations to play image[b]
    ?
    Last edited by Lord KiRon; 01.11.2005, 17:55.

You've to uninstall the sf drivers if you want to make a copy, because if you have it installed you couldn't read the dpm anymore (with Alcohol) it will abort at about 33%!
    On dvd's you only have to enable the dpm option, but you could enable the ignore disc error option, too.
    Last edited by AnalCobra; 01.11.2005, 16:20.
    Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

This is a great idea. Put together all the information, I can make a sticky like the SecuROM one then if you want me to.
      "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

How do you unistall SF drivers?

Comment

Originally Posted by Torrent
          How do you unistall SF drivers?

Comment

Oh, I've found this thread through the search when I searched for a HowTo for making Images of DVDs with StarForce (got my first StarForce protected game today, StarForce 3.6)...

So, any tips, any HowTos for someone who got his first StarForce protected game today?

... and who are YOU?

Comment

Make an image (Alcohol 120%) with the dpm option enabled and high precision. Use DTv4 to mount the image and unplug your ide-drives. If you have an Nforce 3/4 board it can work without unplugging, but for SF 3.6 unplugging is the only way if you havn't an NForce board.

Comment

i'd like to ask a question:
                if i unplug my IDE drive could it then be that the drive letters of my other hardware (hdd, usb hdd, fdd) may change?!
                i don't want that because there's always a mess with that kinda stuff...
                thx in advance:wink:
                Greetz LooDos
                My sysProfile!

Comment

Funny thing. I've gotten more interested in SF protection then I am in playing the games it protects.

I am particularly interested in the IDE check that is performed by SF that requires me to disconnect my burners power connector.

Is it one of the low level drivers that is involved in this detection? Are they loaded at boot time because any disabling that you do in XP is not in affect this early in XP initialization?

Comment

If you disable the drivers the Starforce-protected game will reinstall them and prompt you to reboot before you can launch the game. And this leads to a situation of some game putting older drivers on your system that you'll need to update to the latest Starforce version.
                    the modern world:
                    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

so back to my question:
                      Could it be that unplugging my IDE DVD my HDD drive letters change???
                      If yes would they restore if i replug my IDE DVD???

thx in advance, LooDos
                      My sysProfile!

Comment

Originally Posted by LooDos
                        so back to my question:

thx in advance, LooDos
                        For me it changes nothing!

Comment

Originally Posted by LooDos
                          so back to my question:

thx in advance, LooDos
                          If you want to insure that drive letters won't change in XP then go into Disk Management (Run | diskmgmt.msc) and change the letter to one that you want.

Right click on your CD/DVD ROM icon on the lower portion of the screen and select "Change Drive Letter and Path".

Comment

thx a lot.
                            i think i'll try it 2morrow. we'll see.
                            but still i hope on the vIDE...
                            My sysProfile!

Comment

I have tried sfdrvrem.exe and it says it has unistall starforce. I restart. I run it again and it says there is no starforce in my pc. But when I ran regedit it finds starforce. Am I missing something?

[I had asked this question again elsewher, but forgive me I don't remember where]

Comment

Working...
                              X