Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space

ok, so riddle me this, iv'e only just staarted using dtools, and i have noticed that the image files are quite large, similar in size to the actual installed game, so, does that then mean that you have twice the space requirement for a game on your hard drive, and if so, is there anyway around this, or am i just complaining about something that can't be changed?

That's right. You need the space for installing the game and the space of the image files. To save space you could create mini-images but this only works for Safedisk and for Starforce in old versions and you couldn't install the games using this mini-image.
    Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Originally Posted by AnalCobra
      you could create mini-images but this only works for Safedisk and for Starforce in old versions and you couldn't install the games using this mini-image.
      cool, thought so, now, two questions, how do i go about making a mini-image?
      and could i RUN the game with this mini image, if i installed the game from another source, say a purchased disk, or a full image? i know this is not really this forum, but hey, thats where the conversation has taken us...

Comment

So for making a mini-image for Safedisk on cd start amking an image with Alcohol with very low speed and ignore read error option enabled. After you've got 2-3 read errors abort image making process and click that you don't want delete the image files and try if it's work (mount it and start the game).
        For Safedisc on dvd make an image with alc and choose a low speed press ignore read errors and press if it start reading the image on abort (after serveral mb of reading) and press don't delete and try.
        For Starforce use IsoDirectory (IsoDir.exe).

Comment

Here is a guide of how to make a mini-image.
          But as AnalCobra said, it only works with Safedisk and older Starforce versions.

Comment

So for making a mini-image for Safedisk on cd start amking an image with Alcohol with very low speed and ignore read error option enabled. After you've got 2-3 read errors abort image making process
            Hmmm... I thought you must include all the errors? That would be about 20MB. Have to try out that one.
            For Safedisc on dvd make an image with alc and choose a low speed
            Many users report that Alcohol won't let them choose a speed while reading DVDs. In this case, you can try to set the speed lower with Nero Drivespeed before starting the read.
            To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos
              Many users report that Alcohol won't let them choose a speed while reading DVDs. In this case, you can try to set the speed lower with Nero Drivespeed before starting the read.
              Thats correct, you can't choose speed or profile when you are going to create an image of a DVD in Alcohol.
              But it works anyway, just press cancel as fast as you can.

Comment

The "errors" you need are before the errors, after you should abort the process, atm i don't know how these "errors" are named.

Comment

The "errors" you need are before the errors, after you should abort the process, atm i don't know how these "errors" are named.
                  I think I know what you mean. Some sectors can be read perfectly fine and don't show up as errors, but you actually cannot write them (at least not with every CD-RW, and certainly not with DVD-recorders).

My DVD-drive reports "disc read error" with some sectors, while with other it says "read data examination error", so maybe that's it? Anyone knows more?

Comment

Hmmm... I thought you must include all the errors? That would be about 20MB. Have to try out that one.
                    I've read that you only need about 2-3 errors.
                    But I know that it don't need to be 20MB, that's to big.
                    I know that because my BF2 mini-image is only 3MB, I can probably get it smaller.
                    Last edited by Methadon; 06.11.2005, 16:01.

Comment

Originally Posted by Methadon
                      I've read that you only need about 2-3 errors.
                      But I know that it don't need to be 20MB, that's to big.
                      I know that because my BF2 mini-image is only 3MB, I can probably get it smaller.
                      I was talking about CDs. Or is thers a CD version of BF2 (Battlefield 2)?

Comment

I was talking about CDs. Or is thers a CD version of BF2 (Battlefield 2)?
                        Oh, I was talking about the BF2 DVD, but mini-images of a CD can you usually get smaller than that.

Comment

Oh, I was talking about the BF2 DVD, but mini-images of a CD can you usually get smaller than that.
                          OK. That's what I was getting at. On safedisc DVDs, there are no errors. But on CDs, there are about 20MB of "bad sectors" at the beginning, and I didn't know that it's not needed to include all of them in the mini-image.

Comment

safedisc mini images

Neat, I didn't know that.
                            the modern world:
                            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
                              Neat, I didn't know that.
                              But you have to be fast on that cancel button, real fast.

Edit: I tried to make my BF2 DVD mini-image smaler. It was 3MB before, now I did get it down to 2MB.
                              I also was so fast that I did get it down to 1MB but that mini-image didn't work, the games crashed when I tried to use it.
                              Last edited by Methadon; 10.11.2005, 12:41.

Comment

Working...
                              X