Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could not make the time sync thing work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could not make the time sync thing work.

In my XP the time synchronization thing has quit working for a while now. Whenever I click "Update Now", it will return error. I have tried both of the default addresses including "time.windows.com and time.nist.gov. But they are just not working.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Originally Posted by JUPITER
    In my XP the time synchronization thing has quit working for a while now. Whenever I click "Update Now", it will return error. I have tried both of the default addresses including "time.windows.com and time.nist.gov. But they are just not working.

Strange, because I have no problems synchronizing with time.windows.com.

Fow how long haven't it worked?

Comment

Ok, you have to check two thing then I can answer your question.

1) Check the time zone, if its not correct fix it and try again.

2) Manualy Set the time and try to update, windows wont update it if is more that I think an hour off.

Comment

Thanks

I will try that as soon as i get home.

Comment

No, I did set it right. I live in Colorado, so I set it to Mountain Timezone... Still, it just returns error.
          It hasn't been working since 2 years ago. It worked nicely the first year I bought my PC. But then it just stopped working.

I really don't get how timezone setting can affect it. I mean, if I set it to a wrong timezone, wouldn't it just set my clock to the time accroding to my timezone settings?

Comment

No, I did set it right. I live in Colorado, so I set it to Mountain Timezone... Still, it just returns error.
            It hasn't been working since 2 years ago. It worked nicely the first year I bought my PC. But then it just stopped working.

I really don't get how timezone setting can affect it. I mean, if I set it to a wrong timezone, wouldn't it just set my clock to the time accroding to my timezone settings?
            hmm, ok I found it ^_^

If time synchronization fails
            When you click the Update Now button, your clock should be synchronized immediately. If it fails, it might be for one of the following reasons:
            • You are not connected to the Internet. Establish an Internet connection before you attempt to synchronize your clock.

• Your personal or network firewall prevents clock synchronization. Most corporate and organizational firewalls will block time synchronization, as do some personal firewalls. Home users should read the firewall documentation for information about unblocking network time protocol (NTP). You should be able to synchronize your clock if you switch to Windows Firewall.

• The Internet time server is too busy or is temporarily unavailable. If this is the case, try synchronizing your clock later, or update it manually by double-clicking the clock on the taskbar. You can also try using a different time server.

• The time shown on your computer is too different from the current time on the Internet time server. Internet time servers might not synchronize your clock if your computer's time is off by more than 15 hours. To synchronize the time properly, ensure that the date and time settings are set close to your current time in the Date and Time Properties in Control Panel.

This was taken from the Help and Support Center,

So basicly you just need to check your firewall to make sure its not blocking it....

Comment

Did you disable the Windows Time service?? Type "services.msc" in run, scroll to windows time and check the status. If this service is disabled, the error message should say the RPC server is unavailable.

Comment

Originally Posted by al1uk
                Did you disable the Windows Time service?? Type "services.msc" in run, scroll to windows time and check the status. If this service is disabled, the error message should say the RPC server is unavailable.
                Heh, why didnt I think of that..

That wouldnt span reinstalls though, unless a peice of software stopped it...

Comment

To use the time syncronization utility that's included with Windows XP, if you have a third party firewall, you're required to configure your firewall to allow srvchost.exe. (or similar name)

Comment

My XP Window Time Service was unable to sync with internet time server. Whenever i click on the "Update Now" button, error msg "An error occured getting the status of the last aynchronization. Element not found" showed up....

Anyone can help to solve this problem?

Comment

Could not make the time sync thing work.

Original post from weiliang:
                      "My XP Window Time Service was unable to sync with internet time server. Whenever i click on the "Update Now" button, error msg "An error occured getting the status of the last aynchronization. Element not found" showed up....
                      Anyone can help to solve this problem?"
                      I just fixed the same problem. Here is the text from helpwithwindows.com:
                      Adjust Internet Time Synchronization
                      Windows XP has the capability to automatically synchronize the clock on your system with an Internet time server. By default, only two servers are provided: time.windows.com and time.nist.gov.
                      You can add additional time servers:
                      Start the Registry Editor
                      Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ DateTime \ Servers \
                      Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New > String Value
                      Name the new value with a number one higher than the last (so the first you add will have the value 3, since 1 and 2 are given)
                      Double-click this new value, and enter the hostname as it's Value data
                      Close the registry editor.
                      Here are a few servers you can use:
                      clock.isc.org
                      europe.pool.ntp.org
                      north-america.pool.ntp.org
                      Could this help you?

Comment

That's ridiculous that they make you go through all those steps. There's a much simpler way to add new time servers. Just open up the "Date and Time Properties", click on Internet Time, type the new timeserver into the box and click Apply or OK. Viola, you've just added a time server to the list.

Comment

Working...
                        X