suggestions: DAEMON Tools SearchBar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions: DAEMON Tools SearchBar

We know very well that current version of DAEMON Tools Searchbar leaves a lot to be desired!

Therefore please use this thread to provide your suggestions for next version of DAEMON Tools Searchbar.

We appreciate your valuable feedback!

what's the point in the search bar? I would gladly donate money to the Dev team if they set up a paypal account... In my opinion... the search bar really wasn't supposed to be the 'main attraction.' I mean you've got DT4!!! Enjoy =)

Comment

well to see what was what, i installed it but have no idea where this search bar is ? where is it ? when does it kick in ? does it plug itself into internet explorer or what ??

Comment

My Thoughts

I have two small gripes about this "search Bar", but first I would like to thank the developers for continuting to create great free software that I have very much enjoyed for several years.

Ok, First I did read the release notes before installing, and as I recall, the "Search Bar" was refered to as 'Adware'. WhenU software is actually adware/spyware. Now I was more than willing to give this 'adware' a try to help the developers bring in some $$. Thing is, I dont mind a few popups, but this program is a bit of a security risk, and runs all the time. So lets call a spade a spade. Its spyware.

The second gripe is that the release notes said you would be able to uninstall this from add/remove programs. Not on my machine.

I would much rather donate 20 bucks.

Thanks for making a great program (D-Tools)
        John M Browning-designer 1911 .45,B.High Power,Winchester 30-30,Winchester Pump ,B.Auto-5,BAR,B. .50

Comment

Ditch WhenU

My suggestion - ditch WhenU. Their history pretty much qualifies them for a "scum of the earth" award. Their most [in]famous piece of software would have to be SaveNow, which was designed to steal money from webmasters who used comission programs. The webmaster puts up an ad for product X, the user clicks it, and SaveNow steps in and takes over the screen. If the user clicks the ad in SaveNow, the webmaster doesn't earn a dime, even though he made the sale, and the visitor was on his site!

Also, this program is SpyWare. To show ads related to what you browse and search for, the search bar tracks what you browse and search for.. It's spyware, plain and simple. AdWare would be a program running in the background, which shows the same ads regardless of what you run, search for, or browse. If a program that logs what you do and search for on the internet isn't spyware, WHAT IS?

If you must bundle something, bundle the Yahoo or Google toolbars - they are paying $1.00-$1.50 per new install. Heck, Google even has a version for FireFox!

Comment

@Colt.1911; @pixlness

@Colt.1911

Did you try to go to "Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs"
            and delete there "DAEMON Tools Searchbaar"

Didn't work for you?

---
            @pixlness
            @ Я

The whole idea of "DT Searchbar" was to create some user interface so users would be able to mount/umount images etc. via DTSB. And in the same time when they would conduct some kind of search they might see 1-3 text contextual links on the right (if user will click one of those text links, then obviously DT team will receive some revenues).

But unfortunately WhenU developers was not on time to incorporate all our "wish list" in the first version of DTSB (we had to release DT4).
            That is why DTSB looks a bit nagging in minimized state and there are also several more things we definitely would like to see in DTSB version 2 to be improved!

That's why we really appreciate your comments to how to make it better.

In our opinion if DTSB would be really nice, small and NOT nagging in a minimized state, provide some useful quick links to forum and customers support then it may serve well to DT users.
            Last edited by vik; 18.11.2005, 00:35.

Comment

@cyt0plas

@cyt0plas

I guess it is much more valuable for users to see a contextual information.

I mean: if user is looking for airline ticket, then he may view more airline tickets prices
              or if he is looking for a notebook than there might be a more notebooks comparison link.

Or do you prefer to see endless ****** or Penis enlargements ads delievered to your PC?

---
              Indeed, WhenU had problems in the past.
              But if you are aware about fresh abuses please post it here and we will react IMMEDIATELY.

---

Spyware I guess should somehow send this (collected private users information) information to some server and then store it there? Or what what is more accurate definition of spyware?

Do you know from some software analysts that WhenU modules are indeed doing that?

Indeed if some of analysts would discover such practice in current WhenU software it is unacceptable!
              We would appreciate if you would let us know about such found examples.
              Last edited by vik; 18.11.2005, 00:36.

Comment

I quite like the idea of integrating DT control (mounting/unmounting images) via the search bar, this in my book changes it from a way to milk cash out of it into a usefull feature.

However I still think a paypal or similar link for others of us that dont want the search bar, or use a different browser (Firefox et all) to support the continued development of DT would be nice as well.

The whole thing is completely optional, so I dont really see any reason for anybody to complain, its not like the DT team have tried to hide it etc.

Comment

You can register Daemon Tools (14.49 / 15.95 $).
                  Then you will get customer state and will also get the virtual ide-drive and also get DT Pro. And you will support DT further...

Comment

Originally Posted by DarkStar251
                    However I still think a paypal or similar link for others of us that dont want the search bar, or use a different browser (Firefox et all) to support the continued development of DT would be nice as well.
                    Why not register? Then you will get an ad-ware free version and DT Pro as well when it's released.
                    It's worth the money!

Edit: Damn, ghost zero was ahead of me

Comment

I don't see why DT team don't set up a Paypal account, since there is a demand for it.

Comment

@ al1uk

Yes, we will think about setting up a PayPal account for possible donations.

But here is the paradox:
                        in case of "PayPal donations" user will have to pay money and of course not too many people are willing to pay when there is no obligation to do so

BUT if user would install "SaveNow" module when installing DT4 or using for example a link: http://spweb.whenu.com/s3/DaemonTools/dt_agreement.html
                        user will NOT pay his money at all, but in the same time he may provide us a real and very valuable support!

And still some people indeed find value in such applications like "SaveNow" because it helps people save money with highly relevant offers.

I understand that from rational point of view or simply psychologically it might be not worth to install SaveNow on your main PC where user stores financial or other sensitive information.
                        But there might be another PC in the family: intended mostly for gaming, internet browsing and etc. If user would install SaveNow on such computer using above mentioned link (http://spweb.whenu.com/s3/DaemonTools/dt_agreement.html) he will not worry at all about any possible privacy concerns and in the same time when he would try to save some money clicking on various offers, he would bring us needed money for further DT development.

What is your opinion about this thought?

Comment

I think because of the media hype around spyware and adware, users are less likely to install the ad program.

If you have a PayPal account, and even if people give a little, it can add up to quite a bit, and I think that some people are willing to give a donation, then have ads targeted at them.

Also, to get more customers, you should publicize DT Pro a bit more. Therez only one screenshot of the app, and the link has to be hunted down through the forum (it was on the announcements forum before. ) A bit more info is needed, maybe a sticky about DT Pro and a few more screenshots, and what it can and cant do, and benefits, etc. these questions are asked in the forum and answered by people who have limited knowledge about it.

Thats what I reckon is what should be done.

Comment

Originally Posted by al1uk
                            Also, to get more customers, you should publicize DT Pro a bit more. Therez only one screenshot of the app, and the link has to be hunted down through the forum (it was on the announcements forum before. ) A bit more info is needed, maybe a sticky about DT Pro and a few more screenshots, and what it can and cant do, and benefits, etc. these questions are asked in the forum and answered by people who have limited knowledge about it.

Thats what I reckon is what should be done.
                            very true cus I didn't even know pro existed or what if anything else it could do till just now

Comment

Working...
                            X