Newbie in need of orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in need of orientation

I don't know if this is the correct forum, but here we go...

I have a DVD ROM copy of Civilization IV, but no DVD ROM drive. Is it possible to play it on CD ROM? Can I Split the file and reunite it in my HD?

Thanks,

Zampa

you can, but unfortunately I don't know how

Comment

What you could do is to make an image of the game in Alcohol on some computer that have a DVD and then move it to your computer in some way, by internet or an external harddrive or something.

Or else you just buy a DVD reader, now days you can get one for ~$20-30.

Comment

And it's kinda usefull
        Carpe diem

Comment

Originally Posted by Kinlaadare
          And it's kinda usefull
          Yes, lately most of the games has been released on DVD, and that is just good.
          I'm so tired of the annoying cd-swapping during installation. 5-6 cd games is a nightmare.

Comment

huge dvd image ... zip file spanning

Zampa, here's my recommendation.

Make an image with Alcohol (or Blindwrite) as Methadon mentioned. Winzip 9.0 and 10.0 have introduced a new method of zip file spanning. You can take all your image files and create a zip file out of them (You can't make a split zip file first, you must make a HUGE one first then split it). Then you open the zip file and choose Actions... Split (Shift-H). Then look in the bottom left of the new window for "Part Size" you'll probably want to choose one of the predefined options for CD-ROM (650MB) or CD-ROM (700MB). Now burn the files. You'll need winzip 9.0 or 10.0 on the target system because this method of splitting is not allowed in the industry standard zip file format.

p.s. As long as we're in OT. I prefer the CD-ROM format when I buy games (I know its silly).
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven

Make an image with Alcohol (or Blindwrite) as Methadon mentioned. Winzip 9.0 and 10.0 have introduced a new method of zip file spanning. You can take all your image files and create a zip file out of them (You can't make a split zip file first, you must make a HUGE one first then split it). Then you open the zip file and choose Actions... Split (Shift-H). Then look in the bottom left of the new window for "Part Size" you'll probably want to choose one of the predefined options for CD-ROM (650MB) or CD-ROM (700MB). Now burn the files. You'll need winzip 9.0 or 10.0 on the target system because this method of splitting is not allowed in the industry standard zip file format.

p.s. As long as we're in OT. I prefer the CD-ROM format when I buy games (I know its silly).
              Smart idea, I didn't even think about that.
              You can also do it with WinRAR.

So why do you prefer games in a CD-ROM format? You can't say that you enjoy installing a 5-6 CD game.

Comment

Thans you all

Thank you all for your insights they're very helpful.

I think I'll create a mirror because DVDS ROMS are not so cheap here in Brazil (About 100 reais - $40 for the cheaper ones).

Thanks again!

Zampa

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven

Make an image with Alcohol (or Blindwrite) as Methadon mentioned. Winzip 9.0 and 10.0 have introduced a new method of zip file spanning.
                  Alcohol allows you to split the image in multiple parts, each 700MB. You can even mount the *.mds even if there are multiple *.mdf files.
                  To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Working...
                  X