Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mechanics of Daemon Tools

Hi -

I'm not sure where to post this sort of a question so I'm putting it in the off-topic. This is to the programmers of Daemon Tools.

I've been thinking about a project to take up in my spare time (all thirty seconds per day). That project would be to write an app that could mount ext2/3 partitions under Windows. I've seen something like this before, but it was a userspace app that just browsed the ext filesystem within the program. I'm pondering something that would mount the filesystems to drive letters under Windows so it could be played with in Explorer.

No doubt this will be a difficult project, but there's plenty of documentation on ext filesystems so that shouldn't be too bad. The one place I don't have any idea where to start is how to create a virtual drive under Windows. If the creators of Daemon Tools or someone else could give me pointers to documentation about this, i.e. Windows routines or registry hacks or however DT does it, I'd appreciate it. I'm asking here because DT is the only software I know of that creates virtual drives, and does so rather effectively. Note, I'm not interested in the image mounting aspect, just the creation and destruction of drive letters under Windows.

Thanks, Chris

You need not virtual drive - you need new file system driver, same like CDFS, UDF, NTFS, VFAT etc. This is a very complex task and you will also need IFS Kit from Microsoft (costs around $1000). It contains samples of several file system drivers.

Comment

This has already been done before and there's source code available :

You'll need the Windows NT/2000 DDK and a recent Visual C++ version to build it.

Comment

Daemon Tools conflict with EXT2IFS

EXT2IFS is a little bit unstable, but generelly it works just fine. Bit if you load up Daemon Tools too ext2ifs starts to break down making the computer really unstable..

Well.. unstable might be an overstatement, it's just that when an application accesses drives with EXT2 it locks up. Opening Explorer (Win+E) will do that..

Comment

Paragon makes a couple programs to mount ext2 volumes: see http://www.paragon-software.com/file_system_drivers.htm

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed View Post
            Paragon makes a couple programs to mount ext2 volumes: see http://www.paragon-software.com/file_system_drivers.htm
            I don't think they are still selling them. At least all the referenced seem to have disappeared from the website.

Comment

Working...
            X