Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

v4 problem with handling NTFS-compressed images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v4 problem with handling NTFS-compressed images?

I am not sure if this is really a bug - more likely a not 100% emulation:

Short bug description: NTFS-Compressed Image of Starforce Game does not work

How to reproduce: compress a working image of a Starforce game and try to launch - it fails at least on my system

Details: I'm working with a good image of UFO-Aftershock (Starforce 3.6 afaik). When I mount the original file it works fine but as soon as I try to enable NTFS compression on the image it fails to launch.
    It does mount and show the files but the protection just hangs.

Possible problem sources/solutions: could be timing issues, is DT4 using the normal win32 API to access the image? Shouldn't filesystem compression be transparent to applications?
    Starforce is checking for LBA entries - are those the same if running a compressed image?

Re: v4 problem with handling NTFS-compressed images

What OS and Service Pack are you using? And Serial ATA / SCSI / RAID controllers? If you have the time and another computer available I'd try and reproduce the Starforce cd-check hang with the same image file.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I'm using an SI 0680A based ATA controller for the Optical drives to get around Starforce IDE checking.

Anyways, I tried again and apparently sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. So I'm really starting to think this is a timing issue with compressed files.

I'd be glad if someone could try it with any Starforce image and see if it gives him/her the same trouble.

Comment

What OS and Service Pack?
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Sorry for not mentioning it.
          The "standard": Windows XP, SP2

Comment

Re: v4 problem with handling NTFS-compressed images

OK, that's not my windows version (The "standard") so I can't personally test.

is DT4 using the normal win32 API to access the image?
            No, DAEMON Tools accesses the image in kernel mode.
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
            X