No USB Storage Devices in explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No USB Storage Devices in explorer

Hi, I hope this question isn't on the forum yet. (At least I didn't find it)

I've tried to install DT4 but failed all the time with the "system file error". So after 3 days trying I gave up yesterday and uninstalled DT4 and all traces I could find of it and the smtd or something.
    Now my usb mass storage devices have disappeared from "My computer" (I run swedish XP but I hope thats the right translation, I mean like an usb mp3player or memorycard reader).

They are all fine in the device manager and my portable HP harddrive works just as good as before and so does my usb mouse/keyboard.
    When I for example uninstalls my "generic musicdrive" (mp3player) and then plug it into one of my usb-ports, Windows installs it and goes like "new device found, the new device is installed and ready to use" and it shows up the way it's supposed to in device manager again.
    But explorer don't seem to detect the device. It also looks a bit weird when I look at properties of the volume on my SD memorycard, no drive letter is given...

At http://lastgeneration.se/sidor/egna_.../deviceman.jpg I have put together three screens of my devicemanager showing the things I talked about. It's unfortunately in swedish, but I think it's understandable for englishspeaking persons. And it's on the same loations as in your OS.

I hope at least some of you can read this poorly written text and that you might have a clue what to do about it. I don't want to reinstall windows or something just becouse of this. (And I hope also it's DT that caused the error and not my stupidity =)

//Micke

Edit: I found out that I could find the disks at disk management in computer management. But they all lack drive letters. When I assigned a drive letter to my SD memorycard I could access it in explorer by pointing to F:\ (the drive letter I assigned) but it's still not listed at my computer. And I can't assign a drive letter to my MP3-Player. It just says something like "This disk is not activated, restart your computer to activate it". (And of course I've tried to restart my computer both with and without the player connected).
    So... anyone have a clue?

Screenshot of Disk Management: http://www.lastgeneration.se/sidor/e...management.jpg

Edit 2: NVM, got the "systemrestore" (can't find a good translation, but you know what I mean) to work and could restore a week back and now it works perfect again. Thx anyway =)
    Last edited by Kingen999; 23.11.2005, 14:03.

What OS and service pack

What OS and service pack are you using? (I've read about reinstalling service pack 2 working for someone- but his/her problem might have been different)
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I'm using Windows XP Home with SP2.
      Is it just to download and install over my current version?

//Micke

Comment

same problem

I have the same problem.

i have to assign a letter to my usb drive and click open to access to it.

more over i can' t install the daemon tools v4, when afer the first install i rebooted the message "system file error" appear.

I have Win XP SP2

thanks for your help.

Comment

this issue may also be from blocking the 'mounteddevices' key in the registry (the 'registry trick' for emulation detection for safedisc/securom etc), as i know this can cause problems when a new drive is detected and the system tries to assign a drive letter to it, but cant because the key is blocked
          my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Working...
          X