ndis.sys BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ndis.sys BSOD

I first wrote that the problem was NOT DT related, but it seems I was wrong. After the chkdsk/f problem (written below), I ran memtest, had no probs, and then thought that I'd check if it was something to do with DT. I uninstalled DT4, rebooted, ran chkdsk/f, rebooted again..., and it worked perfectly. No bsod this time. 'Cos the bsod used to reference ndis.sys, im making an uneducated geuss that somehow DT4 and ndis.sys conflict, but it only happens when I reboot to run chkdsk. Any help really appreaciated. Below is what i wrote the first time when the problem started. never had this prob with 3.47. could starforce drivers conflict with dt4 installation??
    -----
    I turned my pc on, and went to the bathroom. When I came back, i noticed that windows was not responding, it was stuck on the welcome screen.
    So i restarted it, and after windows loaded, I run chkdsk/f, which asked me if I want to check windows at next startup. I chose Yes, and rebooted.
    chkdsk came up, and scanned my hd. After reboot, windows gave me a blue screen, saying a problem with ndis.sys.

I rebooted again, and the same problem. Third time, i got through to windows, and after googling, i found that ndis meant "Network Driver Interface". I remembered that I had patched my tcpip.sys file to open the max no. of half open connections to 50, and unpatched it again.

After loading my mini-dump in WinDbg, it stated that the problem was a Graphics Driver Fault.
    So i reinstalled my nvidia driver, although I'm pretty sure that is not the cause.
    After this, i ran chkdsk again, and no problems this time. i also used sfc/scannow to check my system files.

BUT, can someone please have a look at the minidump, and help me find the problem. Last time this happened, i had to reinstall windows 'cos afterwards, it just stopped working properly.

My specs:

Win Xp Pro- SP2
    512 RAM
    120 HD
    Intel p4 3.0ghz

Attached is the mini dump, and the patcher i used for tcpip.sys.
    Last edited by al1uk; 05.06.2006, 15:54.

uploaded files

Note: only customers can access your uploaded files. Maybe you want to put them in a more public place.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Sorry about that, I had no idea about this restriction on non-customers.

Here are the public links:

Minidump: http://rapidshare.de/files/8101822/minidump.zip.html
      Patch File: http://rapidshare.de/files/2425701/E...3d-en.zip.html

Comment

ndis.sys BSOD

Hello,

iґve not had a look at your dumps. But as far as i know itґs not nessessary to modify or change a tcpip.sys or so. The limitation of halfopen TCP-connections was implemented in SP2 as a try to limit the risk of spreding worms and trojans.

For users of filesharing programs or other webservices this may cause some problems with your internet connection if too many connections are set up.

You should be able to solve this problem by inserting a key in your registry.

!-- Do this at your own risk --!

First search with regedit for this section

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters

Then you have to create a new DWORD-key with the name TcpNumConnections.

The last step is to change the value by right clicking this new key and inserting this HEX-value "fffffe".

After a reboot you should be able to have approximately 16.7 million connections.

Good luck

Comment

Re: TcpNumConnections

fyi: I found an article with comments at the bottom of the page which suggests this registry fix doesn't work

hxxp://bink.nu/?ArticleID=2208
          the modern world:
          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

It works!

Originally Posted by Underheaven
            fyi: I found an article with comments at the bottom of the page which suggests this registry fix doesn't work

hxxp://bink.nu/?ArticleID=2208

Iґve used the reg-key on my own machine. It definitely works!
            Here is a part of my screendump from the diag.

:

Comment

Okay, I made the reg key.
              also yesterday i used a windows tweak program to increase the value of the key "tcpwindowsize"

Comment

tcpwindowsize

Originally Posted by al1uk
                Okay, I made the reg key.
                also yesterday i used a windows tweak program to increase the value of the key "tcpwindowsize"
                Why do you want to change this value. The default size is already 32767. Older win versions only had 8192. That was too small for DSL connections. But the default value for XP should be fine.

Comment

the bsod happened again, after running chkdsk/f and rebooting. it happens when the countdown begins for the scan. no minidump although my settings are set to write one.

Comment

Hellooo, anybody there????

I first wrote that the problem was NOT DT related, but it seems I was wrong. After the chkdsk/f problem (written below), I ran memtest, had no probs, and then thought that I'd check if it was something to do with DT. I uninstalled DT4, rebooted, ran chkdsk/f, rebooted again..., and it worked perfectly. No bsod this time. 'Cos the bsod used to reference ndis.sys, im making an uneducated geuss that somehow DT4 and ndis.sys conflict, but it only happens when I reboot to run chkdsk. Any help really appreaciated. Below is what i wrote the first time when the problem started. never had this prob with 3.47. could starforce drivers conflict with dt4 installation??
                    Last edited by al1uk; 06.12.2005, 12:45.

Comment

Please wait at least 24 hours before bumping.
                      the modern world:
                      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

problems got worse. now chkdsk doesn't work with dt3.47, still get the ndis.sys bsod at the countdown. ive deleted sptd.sys, and uninstalled dt, it hasn't helped :-(

Comment

Working...
                        X