Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally: an IMAGE/VIRTUAL CD/DVD DRIVE on x64!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally: an IMAGE/VIRTUAL CD/DVD DRIVE on x64!!!

Dear members of PlanetAMD64 community,

I have finally managed to mount a virtual CD/DVD drive on Windows XP x64 thanks to Mr. Gilles Vollant who re-compiled the original 32-bit FileDisk to x64 version. In other words, you can now mount your CD/DVD ISO, BIN images to your precious x64 Windows system.

Follow this procedure (PART 1):

1.) Download filedisk_modbin64_tray.zip file from http://www.winimage.com/misc/filedisk_modbin64_tray.zip
    2.) Unpack the downloaded archive to following directory: C:\Program Files\FileDisk (or any other you want).
    3.) Now, in that directory, you will find a sub-dir named x64. Open it (or enter into it). Inside, you can see 3 files: fdtray.exe, FileDisk.exe and filedisk.sys.
    4.) Click Start button and choose Run icon. In Run command line paste this %systemroot%\system32\drivers\ (without quotes -> ). This will open following dir/map C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
    5.) To that dir/map COPY the filedisk.sys file from STEP 3 above (from mentioned C:\Program Files\FileDisk\x64 directory)!!!
    6.) Now, in directory C:\Program Files\FileDisk youll find a file named filedisk.reg. Double click on it to run it and that will IMPORT filedisk.reg into the Registry.
    7.) On your desktop, create a shortcut linked to following file: C:\Program Files\Filedisk\x64\fdtray.exe
    8.) Finally, REBOOT your system!!!

After-Restart procedure (PART 2):

1.) Double click on the created icon on your desktop. Notice the small new icon on your tray bar, near the clock. Right click on it
    2.) Select Mount new image
    3.) AND THATS IT FOLKS!!!

How to UN-MOUNT or uninstall the image drive??? (The only way to do it!!!)

1.) Open the MS-DOS prompt/console window.
    2.) You should be in root dir, ex. C:\ HINT: To get there write cd:\
    3.) Write following command cd program files\filedisk\x64
    4.) Now, write command: filedisk /umount g: (g: is the letter of your virtual image device!!! It may be any other you have chosen before!!!).

ENJOY YOUR VIRTUAL IMAGING.

Theres a problem with that (said time and time again no doubt) and that is that it doesnt support all image formats, eg - the ones mostly used.

Also if you look around you should be able to find a modified tray icon that makes it alot easier to unmount.

Comment

especially as it is planned to release the X64version of DT this
      weekend

Comment

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg
        especially as it is planned to release the X64version of DT this
        weekend

oh shit, another bloody week of "server too busy"....

Comment

yeah, we are already prepare mirrorsites this time out of the
          box. However, we expect again next wave and therefore
          the server might be slower then usual. Soon we have new
          loadbalancer and the problem should be go away then

Comment

Originally Posted by Yoshio
            Theres a problem with that (said time and time again no doubt) and that is that it doesnt support all image formats, eg - the ones mostly used.

Also if you look around you should be able to find a modified tray icon that makes it alot easier to unmount.
            actually I use this for my x64 environment, it's been around for quite a while (ever since x64 was released) because they just recompiled the 32bit driver in a 64bit enviornment.

anyways, it supports all the image types i use, so i'm quite happy with it, unmounting images is easy, just most try to unmount in the incorrect way.

Comment

for me i can just right click the tray icon, click list of mounted images, select the mounted images and just click unmount.

i never had to do that restart crap.

good to hear the news on x64 daemon 4, i've been dying for it XD

Comment

Working...
              X