Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Problem?

Hey Guys,

I installed DT4 about a week ago and lately i've been having problems with my dvd burner. I know there are numerous threads about this, but none i've seen are the same as my problem. Well, sometimes when i have to restart my computer, the dvd drive will not be detected before post. Then i end up into windows and have no drive. Nothing is showing in the device manager...

I know others with this problem at least have an entry in the device manager saying there was a problem with the drivers. But in mine there is nada. I removed DT4 and removed the drivers from Windows/System32/Drivers and followed all the other steps to no avail. At the minute i have to keep restarting until the drive gets picked up, this is not exactly ideal...

I checked the cables and they are all fine, i haven't checked the drive on another computer as this is my main one. But i can say the problems only started after i installed DT4 and i am reluctant to do another reformat as i've recently done one.

If anyone can help, i'll be eternally grateful!

BTW,
    I'm running XP with SP2 & .NET Framework Beta 2,
    My dvd burner is a NEC ND-2500A running master on IDE Channel 2...

Try buying a ide controller card and connecting your roms through that...........

The lord giveth and the lord taketh away
    ReBeLlIoN

Comment

Well i was hoping to get my computer back to the way it was without having to buy anything...

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Sounds like a hardware problem, probably of the power connector(s) of the drive(s).
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
          Sounds like a hardware problem, probably of the power connector(s) of the drive(s).
          So you think it could be just the drive itself and not the molex or PSU? I'm not sure whether it's hardware or software at the minute as it seems too convenient that it stops working after DT4 has been installed. It could be coincidence and there is a hardware problem...

Is there another way to test the drive without having another rig?

Comment

If the drive is not recognized on BIOS level, it's for sure a hardware problem. So try to change the power cable, or check it - e.g. if you can remove the cable quite easy.
            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Funny you should mention a hardware problem actually...I was playing CODII last night and Civ 4 today and they both froze and my HDD was making noises like it powered down and back on again...I'm thinking i got a dodgy PSU, Will try DT4 again when i get this box of crap sorted

Comment

Originally Posted by hobophobic
                Funny you should mention a hardware problem actually...I was playing CODII last night and Civ 4 today and they both froze and my HDD was making noises like it powered down and back on again...I'm thinking i got a dodgy PSU, Will try DT4 again when i get this box of crap sorted
                Yeah.... I was getting those funny noises from my HDD too after I installed DT4 the first and second time. Hung me up a few times. A subsequent reboot got hung up on the XP boot screen.

I had to boot into safe mode and stop SPDT.SYS from loading.
                Got rid of DT4 and reinstalled. Did this twice before I finally got a stable system.

Do you also have Alcohol 120 by any chance?

Comment

No i don't have Alcohol installed...Weird that you're getting the same probelm as me though...I thought for sure that it was a hardware problem...There's definately been funky things happening since i installed DT4...

Maybe i'll try a reformat and see how it runs

Comment

Working...
                  X