Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-tools V4 x64 completely broke my machine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-tools V4 x64 completely broke my machine!

Because I am currently quite upset, and not willing to write the story again, I will simply copy and paste the e-mail I sent to support.
    -------------
    After installing Daemon tools V4 x64, when I reboot my machine I get an error saying something along the lines of "SQL server failed to intitialize, please reeinstall getname() failed", to sum it up, it seems to not get the name of my computer.

It doesn't start the usual system processes (only starts 13), and I have no taskbar, no internet, and no ability to burn my stuff to a CD for back-up purposes.

I don't know what happened but the point is I am very unhappy, unless you know a fix, I need to reformat, and since I cannot back anything up, a lot of very important data will be lost.

If it comes down to an unbackuped reformat, you may end up with a lawsuit on your hands.

Thank you for your concideration in this matter.

And in case you were wondering, I am obviously on a different computer currently.
    -------------
    Issues include:
    -no taskbar
    -no internet (nor local network)
    -no copy and paste
    -no drag and drop
    -no right click
    -no search
    -and more and more and more (pretty much nothing works)

Boot with your Windows cd into recovery console, log on to your Windows installation (probably requires administrator password), change dir (cd) to Windows\System32\Drivers folder, and rename/remove sptd.sys; also run chkdsk /r.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

well i know a way to backup your data,

get the hd out of the crashed computer and put it in another PC as a second of third etc etc harddisk. so then you can copy al the important data of the hd to the working PC.

It still sucks that your computer crashed, but on the other hand its a freeware program and probaly in the disclamer is a line such as: we are not responsible for crashing PC's:p

Comment

Originally Posted by Aceallways
        ...It doesn't start the usual system processes (only starts 13), and I have no taskbar, no internet, and no ability to burn my stuff to a CD for back-up purposes.
        After you boot up, and have no taskbsar etc., press control+alt+delete, go to processes, file, new task,
        and type explorer.exe.
        This should give you the taskbar, the internet, and the ability to backup your data.

Comment

Originally Posted by Brummos
          well i know a way to backup your data,

get the hd out of the crashed computer and put it in another PC as a second of third etc etc harddisk. so then you can copy al the important data of the hd to the working PC.

It still sucks that your computer crashed, but on the other hand its a freeware program and probaly in the disclamer is a line such as: we are not responsible for crashing PC's:p
          unfortunately I don't have another computer with a motherboard that supports SATA

also, I have tried renaming that .sys already, it did nothing

and running explorer.exe just opened my documents...nothing more

Comment

I don't know what happened but the point is I am very unhappy, unless you know a fix, I need to reformat, and since I cannot back anything up, a lot of very important data will be lost.
            It's your fault.
            Usually you need to do a backup before a crash, not after.

If it comes down to an unbackuped reformat, you may end up with a lawsuit on your hands.
            Pathetic.

BTW: even if the OS is not bootable you can always access the NTFS partition and save your data.

Comment

maybe the problem?

on a completely unrelated forum I found through google, they were having the issue of no taskbar, and this solution came up:
              delete these 2 keys:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe

So I figure, what the heck it is worth a try...and I don't have the keys...anyone know what that is about?

Comment

I understand your upset Aceallways, but honostly........your using a free program that you downloaded on your own free will and chose to use. The comes in claiming DT4 broke your computer and threatens with lawsuit?.....you kidding me? I mean, even if your were a customer that would bring a smile to my face, but your not even a customer, so basicly just using free version you downloaded voluntarely. Besides....havn't seen anyone else claiming DT4 broke their computer, so maybe the fault is elsewhere and it was simply a coincidense that it happend after reboot.

hope you get it fixed and saved your data though. Good luck

Comment

reformat it is

cant fix it, gonna try to reformat today, but I think I know how to get my data, I will put windows on a spare HD I have, and copy my stuff onto it

in the meantime, I am sorry for the trouble, I think it was probably a combination of this + other free crap I was using until D-tools 4 x64 came out (though I uninstalled the crap first, apparently it wasn't good enough)

Comment

Even when you think you have un-installed crap (as you put it)
                    you would be supprised at the amount of crap that gets left behind as this crap builds up it can have adverse effects on other parts of your system, take outdated SF drivers for instance they can put your system into constant re boot mode even though you may have uninstalled the game that installed them Such is the way with computer related software.

Comment

Working...
                    X