RAR/ZIP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAR/ZIP Support

I don't know if this would be a do-able. Basically, the idea is to mount a RAR/ZIP/ACE file(s) and treat the content as a Data CD. Think this is a suggestion?

It is not possible and can't be done

Comment

Originally Posted by Player1
      It is not possible and can't be done
      Not "possible"? Why's that?

Comment

Basically you want something like winxp's compressed zip folder's right? I'm not aware of any programs that do this for other formats, but i'm sure there is. It is definately possible, but just not a feature apropriate for daemon tools.

Comment

Sorry, I just wrote it short because its one of the most suggestet features.

It can't be done because the image had to be decompressed completely and the mounted. That doesn't save time and space and thats why its not done

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
            Basically you want something like winxp's compressed zip folder's right? I'm not aware of any programs that do this for other formats, but i'm sure there is. It is definately possible, but just not a feature apropriate for daemon tools.
            Yes, that's the idea, however, the only difference is that it will be mounted as a CD drive instead of a temporary folder.

Sorry, I just wrote it short because its one of the most suggestet features.

It can't be done because the image had to be decompressed completely and the mounted. That doesn't save time and space and thats why its not done
            I see this. However, does it "really" have to be decompressed? Suppose that I simply "store" the file in a RAR/ZIP file? Then the resulting RAR/ZIP would pretty much resemble an ISO right? Is it possible that Daemon-Tools support "Uncompressed RAR/ZIP" files? The reason for this is, I'd like to pack a set of MP3 that I've converted and archived as RAR/ZIP files. But I don't want to un-rar/zip them so that I can listen to them. I would love it if I can treate the RAR/ZIP (uncompressed format) as an ISO file and mount it as a CD drive. That would make life a lot simpler. Wouldn't you say so?

Comment

Why do you want to store it as a rar? What would be the difference if you store it as an uncompressed ISO image? Without compression I can see no difference...

Comment

yes, I hope this is an feature too. I have a 1.8G DVD, after making an iso file, it is still 1.8G iso file. I compress it with winrar 3, then the size becomes 540MB, so I can burn to a regular cd.
                however, everytime I want to use that iso file, I need to unrar that rar tile to my harddrive, then mount it. so it will be much easier to mount a compressed image file and save harddrive space too if I can do so. thank you
                Bob Yang

Comment

Why do you want to store it as a rar? What would be the difference if you store it as an uncompressed ISO image? Without compression I can see no difference...
                  Player1,

To answer your question, it's pretty simple. WinRAR have Recovery/Repair support that are somewhat (and sometimes) useful. With .ISO, if the image file goes bad, you have pretty much no way to recover it. I know The Recovery/Repair support in WinRAR is not perfect, but at least sometimes it works. Also, the reason to store it as rar is as follows. Suppose I have a deck load of MP3s, I know I can store a load of it as a RAR file so that instead of a whole bunch of files, I only work with one RAR files. Also, for example, per CD basis. If I can simply mount a RAR file (stored not compressed);
                  INSERT INTO `portal_posts_text` VALUES
                  I would be able to access those MP3s without having to unRAR them to a directory first. Then I can treat the RAR as a CD and just load any player to play it as an MP3 CD. Just my thought. Might be worth something I guess....

PixelaseR

Comment

Well....I guess rar is outta question. But I am definitely eyeing on that GZISO or BZISO. That's almost like RAR

Comment

Working...
                    X