Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversized CDs

Hi Guys
    I am a newbie to Daemon Tools but am starting to warmup to it. How ever there is something I will like to ask the community about.
    I have seen some CDs which in CD properties show them to comtain more than 1 GB of data. Also if I copy all the files onto the hard disk the actual data is same as that noted in the CD properties.
    Could somebody help me. I think this is done by somehow modifying the TOC. Could somebody tell me how to do this & what tools to use.
    Thank You
    bornlibra23

if you mean alcohol image files, yes, they are always larger then the true size but still burnable. if you mean physical cds it could be the copy protection.

which do you mean, images or actual cds??

Comment

When you read an image with Alcohol 120% and you use the RAW read method, then the image will have a bigger size than the hole CD.
      Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

If you are looking for a way how to put more than a gig of data to a CD-R, I'll have to disappoint you, that's not possible.

There's not enough space on a disc to put that much data on it. You're right, that's often done by manipulating the TOC, but that doesn't mean there's actually more space on the disc, but rather that some files are counted doubly in the TOC.
        "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Originally Posted by NetSoerfer
          If you are looking for a way how to put more than a gig of data to a CD-R, I'll have to disappoint you, that's not possible.

There's not enough space on a disc to put that much data on it. You're right, that's often done by manipulating the TOC, but that doesn't mean there's actually more space on the disc, but rather that some files are counted doubly in the TOC.
          Well... technically no, not possible.....
          But... I believe he is referring to some of the microsoft all-in-one images that get around from time to time... Like an office 2003 AIO or a Windows 11-in-1... (These can also be made by end users, although it is still illegal, even if you own every piece of software on them, as the re-authoring is in breach of Microsoft's EULA)

Anyway, microsoft use an imaging tool to create their isos which is capable of creating cds where all duplicates of a file are replaced with a pointer to the original file, saving space.
          This is the same as the "Symbolic links" which can be made in linux, and the file pointers report as being the same size as the file they are pointing to....
          This then means that since you have removed the files which are just duplicates, like having the same file in every I386 directory on a windows AIO, then the image is truly only say, 680MB... but it will still report as being like 1020MB as the fake files are treated as real ones...
          SpeedLabs Inc. - Welcome to the real world...

Comment

OverSized CDs

Thank You all you guys for the info. But my problem still persists. I am not talking about any Alcohol image here.

NeoSurfer:
            Yes files may be counted double on the TOC. But if a sector on the CD is counted with two files that would mean that the two files have some portion of their byte sequence same & that can be burnt only once on the CD but counter twice. This will still allow me to put more apprent data on the CD wont it?

AnalCobra:
            I dont mean any CD image that I have created on the hard disk. I just copied the data on the CD onto the hard disk using explorer & it was actually little more than a GB on the hard disk. When I created an ISO image of the cd on the hard disk the image file was only about 700 MB which is about the maximum capacity of the CD.

al1uk:
            The CDs didnt have any copy protection as I was able to copy them onto the hard disk without any errors. Also the CD was not mastered by any company but by a friend who refuses to tell me how he did it.

Well guys the only plausible answer seems that it is illegal manipulation of the TOC but hoiw to do it I dont know. However if any of you guys are residing in INDIA I think I saw something on the issue in DIGIT magzine a couple of months back. I think it claimed that UltraISO can make such CDs but I dont have that issue of the magzine. Also the website doesnt mention that.

Any help will be appreciated.
            Thank You

Comment

So then, it is pretty much exactly as I've said.
              Basically ur friend most likely used cdimage.exe to make this iso....
              Then he burned it
              If you use the -o switch, it will encode duplicate files only once, but will reference them in the TOC for every folder they appear in...
              This makes the file act as if it was physically there....
              If you copy the data off the cd into a folder on your computer, it will recreate all the duplicate files, as the TOC dictates that they SHOULD be there....

For reference (Check the -o switch):
              Code:
              CDIMAGE 2.47 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility

Copyright (C) Microsoft, 1993-2000.  All rights reserved.

For Microsoft internal use only.

Usage: CDIMAGE [options] sourceroot targetfile

-l  volume label, no spaces (e.g. -lMYLABEL)

-t  time stamp for all files and directories, no spaces, any delimiter

(e.g. -t12/31/2000,15:01:00)

-g  encode GMT time for files rather than local time

-h  include hidden files and directories

-n  allow long filenames (longer than DOS 8.3 names)

-nt allow long filenames, restricted to NT 3.51 compatibility

(-nt and -d cannot be used together)

-d  don't force lowercase filenames to uppercase

-c  use ANSI filenames versus OEM filenames from source

-j1 encode Joliet Unicode filenames AND generate DOS-compatible 8.3

filenames in the ISO-9660 name space (can be read by either

Joliet systems or conventional ISO-9660 systems, but some of the

filenames in the ISO-9660 name space might be changed to comply

with DOS 8.3 and/or ISO-9660 naming restrictions)

-j2 encode Joliet Unicode filenames without standard ISO-9660 names

(requires a Joliet operating system to read files from the CD)

When using the -j1 or -j2 options, the -n, -nt, and -d options

do not apply and cannot be used.

-js non-Joliet "readme.txt" file for images encoded with -j2 option

(e.g. -jsc:\location\readme.txt). This file will be visible as

the only file in the root directory of the disc on systems that

do not support the Joliet format (Windows 3.1, NT 3.x, etc).

-u1 encode "UDF-Bridge" media

-u2 encode "UDF" file system without a mirror ISO-9660 file system

(requires a UDF capable operating system to read the files)

-ur non-UDF "readme.txt" file for images encoded with -u2 option

(e.g. -usc:\location\readme.txt). This file will be visible as

the only file in the root directory of the disc on systems that

do not support the UDF format.

-us sparse UDF files

-ue embed file data in UDF extent entry

-uf embed UDF FID entries

-uv UDF Video Zone compatibility enforced

-b  "El Torito" boot sector file, no spaces

(e.g. -bc:\location\cdboot.bin)

-p  Platform ID for the "El Torito" boot catalog

-e  Do not set floppy emulation mode in El Torito boot catalog

-s  sign image file with digital signature (no spaces, provide RPC

server and endpoint name like -sServerName:EndPointName)

-x  compute and encode "AutoCRC" values in image

-o  optimize storage by encoding duplicate files only once

-oc slower duplicate file detection using binary comparisons rather

than MD5 hash values

-oi ignore diamond compression timestamps when comparing files

-os show duplicate files while creating image

(-o options can be combined like -ocis)

-w  warning level followed by number (e.g. -w4)

1  report non-ISO or non-Joliet compliant filenames or depth

2  report non-DOS compliant filenames

3  report zero-length files

4  report each file name copied to image

-y  test option followed by number (e.g. -y1), used to generate

non-standard variations of ISO-9660 for testing purposes:

1 encode trailing version number ';1' on filenames (7.5.1)

2 round directory sizes to multiples of 2K (6.8.1.3)

5 write \i386 directory files first, in reverse sort order

6 allow directory records to be exactly aligned at ends of sectors

(ISO-9660 6.8.1.1 conformant but breaks MSCDEX)

7 warn about generated shortnames for 16-bit apps under NT 4.0

b blocksize 512 bytes rather than 2048 bytes

d suppress warning for non-identical files with same initial 64K

l UDF - long ads used in file entries instead of short ads

r UDF - number of ad's is random

w open source files with write sharing

t load segment in hex for El Torito boot image (e.g. -yt7C0)
                         f use a faster way to generate short names
                     -k  (keep) create image even if fail to open some of the source files

-m  ignore maximum image size of 681,984,000 bytes

-a  allocation summary shows file and directory sizes

-q  scan source files only, don't create an image file

NOTE: Many of these options allow you to create CD images

that are NOT compliant with ISO-9660 and may also

NOT be compatibile with one or more operating systems.

If you want strict ISO and DOS compliance, use the -w2

warning level and correct any discrepencies reported.

YOU are responsible for insuring that any generated CDs

are compatible with all appropriate operating systems.

Also note that Microsoft company information is placed

in the image volume header, so don't use this program

to generate CDs for companies other than Microsoft.
              SpeedLabs Inc. - Welcome to the real world...

Comment

Working...
              X