PDA

View Full Version : APE support!

KoolMonkey
26.05.2003, 01:01
It would be wonderful if DT would mount an APE file. APE is the file extension for Monkey's Audio which is one of the best lossless audio compression schemes around. Monkey's Audio can be found here... http://www.monkeysaudio.com. Normally APE files are one big 200-300mb file. So it would be great if you could load it up in Daemon Tools and have it display just like a regular audio cd.

- km

Jaime
26.05.2003, 18:49
There are no practical reasons for doing so; instead of playing the disc as CD Audio, create a cue file for it and play it with WinAmp 2.x + mp3cue.

mp3cue is a plug-in that will show an additional playlist with the contents of a cue file, so you'll be able so select tracks from within the file, ...

KoolMonkey
27.05.2003, 01:36
I'm aware of the .cue file and plugin and use them extensively. There is a practical reason for me requesting this. If Daemon Tools was able to mount a .ape file, then you could rip the audio to other formats, mp3/mpc/ogg etc. without first having to decompress the .ape to a .wav file. So it would be great to simply be able to use the .ape file with DT. Plus there are other programs that use audio besides Winamp.

- km

KoolMonkey
02.06.2003, 23:39
hmm doesn't seem like anyone wants this feature apart from myself. it would have very easy to implement and would have added to the legend of DT. oh well, I'll keep hoping this does happen.

- km

Copytrooper
03.06.2003, 11:28
The problem is that we wonґt implement image formats without permission, moreover the whole mp3-stuff is not free, we would have to pay license fee for the mp3-usage - so donґt count on it :?

KoolMonkey
04.06.2003, 08:40
APE is free to implement without any licensing hassles. Have a read of http://www.monkeysaudio.com/developers.html. APE doesn't have anything to do with MP3 as it's its own format and doesn't rely on anything else. Personally I would think it would be a great addition to DT.

- km

Copytrooper
04.06.2003, 10:00
May be the developer will have a closer look if he has some time - atm thereґre more important things to do.

damageboy
14.06.2003, 00:38
I would like to have this feature as well. :)

I've also done a preliminary check and the MA SDK does allow for
random seek inside an APE file, and that should be equivalent to an
uncompressed PCM 16 bit 44.1KHz WAV file....

I'd be really happy to see this feature as well....

Development
14.06.2003, 08:07
I'll take a look at it, thanks.

damageboy
14.06.2003, 22:44
wow! thank you!
Thaks for considering this... :)

Development
15.06.2003, 03:49
I looked - i will need many weeks to rewrite this source. It is written in C++ and designed to work with Win32 API, absolutely unacceptable.
The only acceptable way is to use pure C code (no classes!) which uses some external API for file I/O and can be compiled with DDK.
Current version of Daemon driver is compiled with Win2000 DDK.
Maybe i wil try to make soem interface in the future so that will make it possible at least in external module.

KoolMonkey
16.06.2003, 09:59
thanks VeNoM386. if you do get a chance to re-write the code, many people including myself will be very happy and thankfull you added this feature.

- km

Andareed
16.06.2003, 17:23
I think it might be better to create a common interface to allow custom image formats. This way it would be easy to add future formats and would allow many ppl to work on including formats.

PixelaseR
16.07.2003, 07:37
I think it might be better to create a common interface to allow custom image formats. This way it would be easy to add future formats and would allow many ppl to work on including formats.

I "totally" agree with this. It make it much easier for ppl to work on unsupported formats. Of course, if they choose to implement an illegal format, they'll have to take the blame? :)

Development
16.07.2003, 16:20
Such interface is already implemented in current beta. But support for images with compression is different story - it is planned later.

TKS
24.07.2003, 17:16
So it would be great if you could load it up in Daemon Tools and have it display just like a regular audio cd.

Yes, APE is a very interesting format. But the question is if it is really useful to mount them as a normal audio cd.
This would only be intersting if you want to rip single files out of the APE or to playback them.

If this is what you want to do check out Foobar2000!
http://www.foobar2000.org/

It's a freeware Audio player that is able to open MP3, Ogg,... , and CUE-sheets!
So F2k can oben your CUE-APE playback the tracks or extract some of them. Plugins for APE, Ogg, MP3... compression are avaible.

Regards
TKS

anophelus
22.10.2003, 14:56
Yes, APE is a very interesting format. But the question is if it is really useful to mount them as a normal audio cd.
This would only be intersting if you want to rip single files out of the APE or to playback them.Actually I am interestead in this feature too, as I have a lot of ape files on computer and I don't like the ideea to install another player just for them. At the moment I use only winamp3 as player, with a plugin for ape files. The problem is that I cannot find a cue plugin too for it (are some available but only for winamp 2.x);

so the files are seen in winamp just as one track, not having the posibility to choose a specific existent track from inside.

I see that the messages are quite old, is any new progress in the development of ape files support in daemon-tools? Is one of my favorit software! Thanks!

NetSoerfer
22.10.2003, 23:08
This idea sounds interesting to me too. However, I don't use APE for several reasons, among which the long decoding time (which means no on-the-fly burning of APEs) ranks highest. I chose FLAC (http://flac.sourceforge.net/) (Free Lossless Audio Codec). It's asymmetric (longer encoding time but much shorter decoding time);

free, open-source, did I mention fast?...

After having read VeNoM386's words I should possibly also add that there's a FLAC C API (http://flac.sourceforge.net/api/index.html) which should make implementation easier.

Being able to mount those files (maybe even with an EAC CUE sheet - see below) would greatly simplify converting to other codecs (e.g. MP3 for a portable MP3 player). It would also make burning easier - EAC doesn't support on-the-fly burning of FLAC files (e.g. if you want to listen to the album on your car audio - nobody would (ab)use original CDs in his car, right?).

So, if Daemon-Tools supported EAC CUE sheets and FLAC(/APE);

it would be very useful for High-Quality Audio Archiving freaks (like me) as well. (Yeah, I'm already using it but sshhh... ;))

Example EAC CUE sheet: Apocalyptica - Reflections (cropped)

PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
TITLE "Reflections"
FILE "01 - Prologue (Apprehension).wav" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Prologue (Apprehension)"
PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "02 - No Education.wav" WAVE
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "No Education"
PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Faraway"
PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
INDEX 00 03:16:57
FILE "03 - Faraway.wav" WAVE
FILE "04 - Somewhere Around Nothing.wav" WAVE
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Somewhere Around Nothing"
PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
etc...

Jeronimus
17.10.2005, 08:49
Hello,

I'm fairly new here but are intreged by the cool daemon tool you made, so thanx for that anyway.
Lately I'm finding more and more music files/cd's compressed into ape images and me no like this...
The only (easy) way to get them on my pc as something I can listen to is by burning them on a cd useng a sort of plug-in I stumbled upon excidently..

So my whish is to have Daemon support ape...

(pretty please? :roll: )

Kind regards Jeronimus

Underheaven
19.10.2005, 02:43
Not to ignore your suggestion ... did you see the link to foobar2000.org ?

AndyMutz
26.10.2005, 22:58
Being able to mount those files (maybe even with an EAC CUE sheet - see below) would greatly simplify converting to other codecs (e.g. MP3 for a portable MP3 player). It would also make burning easier - EAC doesn't support on-the-fly burning of FLAC files (e.g. if you want to listen to the album on your car audio - nobody would (ab)use original CDs in his car, right?).[/code]

like someone already said, foobar can do this (open cue+ape/convert/burn).

-andy-

Nikos
27.10.2005, 03:28
Is APE actually a CD-image format? If not, wouldn't this make DTools more bloated?

Jito463
27.10.2005, 03:39
Nope, it's an audio format that, combined with a cue file, allows you to burn it like an image. Much like cue/wav and cue/mp3.

Nikos
27.10.2005, 05:00
Nope, it's an audio format that, combined with a cue file, allows you to burn it like an image. Much like cue/wav and cue/mp3.Looks like "cue/anythingyoucanimagine" to me.

Red Dwarf
02.11.2005, 12:09
This makes perfect sense, also supporting of non-standard CUE sheets as created by EAC: Re-ripping of dozens and hundreds of CDs is much faster. These re-rips may be necessary when you switch from one application to another that doesn't understand the former ripping "format" (i.e. non-standard cue + append gaps to multiple tracks -> single image wave + standard cue).

If DT would understand non-compliant CUE sheets and has the ability to support multiple audio formats either built-in or through third party plugins, then it would surely be the only virtual CD software to do this. Which would be great for DT (and those who are desperately waiting for such a thing).

telin
09.11.2005, 00:54
I too have been looking for ape support with Daemon. In fact, it was the first thing I looked for, after creating my first .ape image file. It is true that there is some limited support in WinAmp for example and that it is possible to burn through Nero with a third party plugin but it is not as easy as one would hope and one is stuck with particular programs. I think that lossless audio format is the future and this will be gradually more appearant as people get more serious about having their PC:s do everything. We already have the cheap hard drive space. The sound is distinctly better. It would certainly give Daemon Tools an extra edge! I would certanly be prepared to pay for it.

scanboy
07.12.2005, 22:57
I would like to see DT support .APE file as well.

Currently I'm doing .ape -->.nrg use nero with a ape plugin, then mount .nrg image with DT.

Thank you for the good work.

John

AndyMutz
08.12.2005, 01:20
Currently I'm doing .ape -->.nrg use nero with a ape plugin, then mount .nrg image with DT.

why would you do something like that? why not just listen to/convert/burn the .ape file directly??

-andy-

Houses0nfire
09.02.2006, 04:55
"why would you do something like that? why not just listen to/convert/burn the .ape file directly??"

Because then it'd quite tedious to rip individual tracks off an audio cd. Many ppl don't have time to edit and single out 20+ tracks with cooledit pro

dt_user
20.03.2006, 15:59
why would you do something like that? why not just listen to/convert/burn the .ape file directly??

-andy-

One example would be checking DTS volumes.
I use powerdvd for listening to 5.1 DTS audio CD-s.
If I just throw the .ape file at it, it wont recognise it, of course.
I need to mount it as a volume, in order to get powerdvd working with it.

Getting a dvd-audio/DTS player software that recognises all the formats DT does _PLUS_ .ape would be another solution...

duancg
20.05.2006, 10:01
I hope I understood the topic correctly. And if I did, then I finally see some discussion that makes sense. I was looking for the ability to mount APE files as CD drive for a long time. I have many CDs ripped into APE files and store on HD, I often want to 1) listen to then through my favorite players (iTunes, etc.) on the PC, and 2) transfer the music from APE files to portable devices. Since most players/programs know how to get music on audio CDs, I always want to the ability to directly mount the APE file as a virtual CD. I konw there are other ways, like "use your original CD" or "convert the APE to WAV first", but they are just too many hassles. BTW, I wouldn't mind too much about performance as long as I can play the virtual audio CD in 1x speed.

Even DT team just open the plugin APIs, I am sure there will be 3rd parties willing to create such plugins. Thank you and I am really looking forward to it!

Nina92
07.07.2006, 11:07
I'm looking for the same feature :)

fishstyc
13.08.2006, 21:15
If you ever look into this, it might be interesting to check if you could somehow use directshow for decoding (not sending the data to the audio card of course).

That would open up "cue sheet + compressed file" support for a whole lot of formats, including mp3, wma lossless, without the need for licensing formats imo. (I think also for flac, some directshow filter should exist somewhere).

Don't know if that's a stupid/impossible idea, or worth considering...

The reason I'd like this, as someone already mentioned, is that you could rip cds losslessly, play them in winamp, but for thranferring to portable players, could re-rip them with their proprietary software and encode in their proper format.

Anyway, thanks for your nice work.

cRzcCs
22.08.2006, 17:04
I just wanted to say that I fully support this suggestion, as this would really be a simple, yet cool, addition to daemon tools.

onionbobo
13.09.2006, 15:19
Ok, here is the main reason why I want to DT mount APE, I love my Ipod, but now, if I want an APE image to be converted and transffered to the Ipod in Apple's Lossless format, we are talking in hours. So if DT could just directly mount APE, Itune can directly convert the music via virtual drive! As far as I'm aware, there is NOT a single software able to do this now, if DT can be the first, I'm sure it will be very popular.

Kikko82
30.10.2006, 18:34
I had the same problem, and I've finally found a solutions. It doesn't involve daemon tools, neither image mounting (I tried that way first, too) ; so I hope it's appropriate.
I've found the solution here (monkey's audio forum; bottom of the thread) --> http://www.monkeysaudio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1871

I want to give more accurate instructions to be sure you'll try correctly:

the concept is to not to try to mount directly an ape image with the cue and make it work like an audio cd, but compress it directly to an unique mp3 file and then split it using the cue file and an apposite program.

1) I used nero to compress the ape track. U must have installed correctly the ape audio plugin for nero, it can be found on emule for example. Since there are various versions of nero I can't give exact instructions here, but u'll find easily a function named "decode audio files" or similar, properly configure it to decode the ape (remember to select the ape file, not the cue) and set compression parameters at your likes.

2) Now modify the cue file correctly. This is done opening the file with notepad, and on line "FILE" replace "*.wav" with "*.mp3" ; then "WAVE" with "mp3". Save your changes.
Obviously this passage is fundamental ;)

3) Now get "cue_splitter"; I found it here --> http://cue-splitter.enfis.it/ (as indicated in the thread). I'm noticing that the one who suggest the solution is the author himself of cue_splitter :D
This program is really simple, too. It's already configured to get informations from the cue file and tag mp3's properly. Simply load the cue file (make sure it is in the same folder of the mp3) and click on split. The split takes very little time (some seconds).

There is another way, too; u can split the ape file (cue_splitter should support this) then compress the resulting ape tracks. In this way u don't have to modify the cue file; I choose the other way because I got an error msg trying to split directly the ape; but may be u won't get the error message and find this way more useful.

It worked great for me, hope this little guide helps someone ;)

bowbag
18.04.2007, 19:01
Id like to see this feature added because it simplifies the process imensely, instead of a few steps and multiple programs, you can screw with it like a cd.

Tractor
24.09.2007, 22:44
I'm also very interested in this feature.
The reason is
that old CD-based software (i'm talking about Before Mp3 era)
were distributed with separated Audio Tracks.

Trying to keep these CD in proper format, you can't convert music to any lossy compression format, such as MP3, as it would ruin the TOC.
Therefore you have to keep Audio Track as they were (Lossless).

That's exactly what APE can do. And it saves quite a few hundred of Megabytes per CD.
As a consequence, digital distribution of such old software are often done with APE audio files.

Of course, one can still convert them back to Wav with the appropriate program, but that makes the manipulation quite somewhat more complex. Plus it costs more space on HDD.
Well, anyway, that's my current work-around.
However, i would really appreciate if Daemon Tool could simply load such cue/iso/APE format CD.without prior re-encoding.

Regards

vfreak
29.09.2007, 05:40
Hello,
I've been using this program for a few months now.
It looks like many many people would like this feature included in Daemon Tools. Over the last four years! I'm another one.
Is it convenient to add support for APE now?

The reason why I would like it is because I want to convert APE/CUE to MP3 (like many users obviously, and increasingly for sure). The only problem and reason I wouldn't use Foobar like an earlier poster suggested, is the tags. It only uses FreeDB, not the much better CDDB (obviously because of the licensing costs associated with CDDB). So I'm using iTunes instead.

A the moment the quickest way for me to do what I'm doing is to convert the APE to WAV, edit the CUE file to WAV insteed of APE and mount the WAV file with Daemon Tools, which is then ripped with all the nice tags in iTunes.
Adding APE to Daemon Tools would be very attractive and a world first, I'm sure it would bring many new users and a pleasant surprise to existing Daemon Tools users!

Please think about it.
Cheers
-vfreak-

Herculianus CsDianus
04.10.2007, 20:56
Isn't C dead?Wow!So,if anyone in the devs need a undergraduate to do some of his dirty job call me.I may as well gain some reputation for my BsD and who knows...MsD???LoL!

roytam1
26.07.2008, 03:07
sorry for bumping this up but what about making cue/img plugin that supports winamp plugins?

jemerlia
02.04.2009, 06:32
Daemon Tools virtual optical disc reader has come into its own in the era of the 1TB+ drive. From the perspective of a music lover most of the time it makes far more sense to access CUE/BIN images from the drive rather than insert physical optical media. Daemon Tools combined with a large capacity HDD meant that I could take a 400 audio cd collection overseas and listen to them with no loss of quality.

It appears that the latest fashion in lossless audio cd rips is the APE/CUE file format. It would be invaluable if Daemon Tools could handle this combination. Is there any support for this request?

Best wishes and thanks for a great and robust product!:)

jluu
17.02.2010, 10:12
The ape format support is dearly needed, thanks for thinking about it.

Daemon Tools virtual optical disc reader has come into its own in the era of the 1TB+ drive. From the perspective of a music lover most of the time it makes far more sense to access CUE/BIN images from the drive rather than insert physical optical media. Daemon Tools combined with a large capacity HDD meant that I could take a 400 audio cd collection overseas and listen to them with no loss of quality.

It appears that the latest fashion in lossless audio cd rips is the APE/CUE file format. It would be invaluable if Daemon Tools could handle this combination. Is there any support for this request?

Best wishes and thanks for a great and robust product!:)