PDA

View Full Version : "Failed to open config key" when installing 4.0.3

bobtheburrito
03.01.2006, 06:41
When trying to install 4.0.3 I get the SPTD setup error message "Failed to oped config key" after the "This program will install SCSI Pass..." message.

Steps I took to get this:
Run 4.0.3 install
Used installer to uninstall 3.47, installer closed
Ran installer again, restarted comp to continue install
Ran installer again, it did not start automatically.
Accepted agreement and clicked ok for SPTD Setup info message.
Received "Failed to oped config key"(yes oped not open)

Operating System: WinXP Pro(fully updated)
Burning Software: Nero 6.X
Anti-Virus/Spyware: AVG, MS Antispyware(beta), Spybot
DAEMON Tools Version: 4.0.3 X86

Things I've tried to fix:
Ran starforce removale program from here:
http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

I never got 4.0 to work. I tried many suggestions and fixes all over this forum, such as uninstalling DT manually, registery fixes, starforce removale, ect... DT 3.47 runs great. Hope this was enough info! :)

<3 DT

-Bob

bobtheburrito
04.01.2006, 01:14
Got it to work! I went through all the steps that didn't work with me in 4.0 and this time they worked. I installed in safemode without loading SPTD drivers(hit esc). Restarted back into safemode continued with installation and everything just worked after that. :)

05.01.2006, 17:35
I have this problem too,but error is "failed to opend config key!"
If anyone has a fix please tell me:rolleyes:

marcin111
07.01.2006, 19:03
I try to install daemon tools 4.03 but there is a problem with SPTD instalation all the time. The mesagge "fail to open config key" comes out (I don't have SCSI discs). What is it and what to do??

Stef007g
08.01.2006, 14:14
I tried every suggestions on the forum but still get the same error "failed to oped config key" after the reboot.

Got problem when removing Alchool 120% and previous Daemon so I did it manually.
Pnp Bios Extension has a yellow mark, cannot remove it (freeze the computer), removed manually the reg key
Removed the sptd.sys in save mode, restarted and relaunched install. Reboot as asked still the same message (sptd.sys is recreated).

:confused:

Next step: reinstall Windows :mad: or if U have any suggestions
Thanks,
Stef.

Red_Mist
08.01.2006, 18:36
so how you do it?, i recently had to do a repair install of xp and upon reboot , dtools would not work, wouldn't uninstall and get the same error as you upon a new install & i cannot fix it .....help

NetSoerfer
08.01.2006, 20:23
Red_Mist, please post only once. The forums are moderated which is why your posts don't show up immediately.

RaWi
19.01.2006, 08:33
Hi,

the solution in this thread worked for me:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?t=9024&highlight=failed+open+config

Boot in safe mode, start "sptdinst_x86 remove" in a command window, reboot normal and install daemon tools.

RaWi

drakvakt
19.01.2006, 21:04
Windows xp home (sp2) just repaired.
no alcohol or any other products like that.

I tried to disable my NAV/NIS but it still said "Failed to open config key"

Tried to boot into safe mode, still the same problem.

Any ideas at all?

(3.XX versions still works, so i'm cool for a while, but i'd really like to be able to install 4.03)

EDIT:

Ok, i finally got it working, here's what I did:

1. Reboot windows into safemode with command console (might also work with just safe mode).
During boot into this safe mode there appars two things that you can stop from loading by pressing ESC.
The first is a file named d3-something. This file is totally ok, so let it load.
Then comes a file named SPTD something. This is where you press ESC to keep it from loading.

2. Now you can use the console to install the sptdinst_xXX.exe file with "sptdinst add" command.

3. Now just reboot into normal mode again and the installation should work.

note: you might get a message that your current 3.XX version cant find the virtual drives, this is ok however since your gonna need to uninstall your 3.XX version.

Shadow_F
21.01.2006, 18:11
Hello,
I have a problem during the installation of "Daemon Tools 4.03", the installation stops and I have this message:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/cgi-bin/jvforums/rd_forums.cgi?http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9384/sanstitre2zn.jpg

Can you help me please ? Thank you in advance.
The older versions worked.

PS: I don't speak English very well so I couldn't understand certain explanations on the forum.

Shadow_F
22.01.2006, 15:50
I solved the problem yesterday:
1. I've downloaded SPTDinst
2. I've booted in safe mode
3. I've run SPTDinst remove
4. I've run SPTDinst add
5. I've booted in normal mode
6. I've installed DT 3.47
7. I've updated DT 3.47 to DT 4.03

And now it's work very well ! Thank you ! DT is a very good program :D

Poldi
23.01.2006, 11:37
Hi,
I've tried serveral versions of DT ... but everytime I try to install the installation fails at the early point of the SPTD installation ... I just get the message: "Failed to oped config key"

I once had a version of DT running ... but it crashed and so I deinstalled it ... well I tried ... when I want to deinstall I get the message: "Setup is unable to validate installation"

what shall I do ... any suggestions??
thanks a lot

AnalCobra
23.01.2006, 12:40
Download the SPTD Setup:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5

Start in Safe Mode (press F8 at startup), remove the sptd driver (http://www2.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t6828-my-system-wont-boot-after-installation-of-v4-or-problems-with-sptdsys.html)
Install the sptd driver with the setup, restart in normal mode and try to install DT again.

belzebul
23.01.2006, 22:04
error : Failed to oped config key.
sptd setup v1.24 duplex secure.....

???????????????:confused:

freestyle
25.01.2006, 04:24
I'm a chinese,and are not good at English.I wish you can realize what I've said.
My computer can use "DAEMON TOOLS 3.47",but when I want to install 4.03,the operating system says "This program will install SCSI Pass Through direct (SPTD) layer on your computer.WARNING-SPTD is not compatible with kernel mode debuggers (SoftICE, WinDBG etc.)! Please cancel setup if you plan to use kernel debugger on this machine.",but after I chose
"确认"(means I agree),and then it says(Failed to oped config key),and only have "确认"(agree) to choose,after choosing it ,the process of installment closed,failed to install.
How to solve the problem?
Thank you very much.

NetSoerfer
25.01.2006, 11:06
Hello freestyle,

please check the following two threads and see if they solve your problem:

How to remove DAEMON Tools v4 and
My system won't boot after installation of v4, or problems with SPTD.SYS

ramoh
26.01.2006, 02:41
I have the same problem with my computer, installation ends at "Failed to oped config key", im not sure how those links are supposed to help me, they dont.. (btw is it supposed ot be 'oped' or 'open')

AnalCobra
26.01.2006, 18:00
Have you tried it with NetSoerfers infos. If it won't work for you, shutdown your pc and start in safe mode (F8) remove the sptd driver (see Netsoerfers infos) and install them with the sptd setup: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5
then reboot and try to install DT 4.03.

poloce
29.01.2006, 03:51
First, I read al the report and solution ppl get for this problem.

So, I tried go to save mode, and add the SPTDinst X86, than reboot to install the program, same problem. Does not matter if I boot back into safe mode with hitting Esc key or without, or even boot to the normal windows. THE ERROE MESSAGE STILL POP UP.

Second, I go to windows/system32/drivers to remove sptd.sys and sptd5517.sys, reboot. Windows than tell me that I am missing a service file, run the installation program, need to reboot to finished the installation. After reboot, ERROR message again.

I am using windows 2003 enterprise, and I have tried everything ppl already talked about on the forum. Please help me.

itom
29.01.2006, 14:26
Maybe you could try this:
When testing Daemon Tools with Vista (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t9386-daemon-tools-4-on-vista-build-5270.html) (it doesn't work), I discovered that a key created by sptdinst has incorrect permissions, I don't know if it is related, just give a try and give your feedback.

The key is the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd\Cfg

To apply correct permissions on it, you should:
1. run regedit
2. goto the key
3. right mouse button -> permissions on th Cfg key
4. "advanced" button
5. I've got only one permission entry for administrator. Delete it
6. Check inherit from parent ... and replace permissions entries on all child objects ...

and apply.

HTH,

Underheaven
29.01.2006, 23:08
The key has correct permissions. I recommend not changing them.

space
30.01.2006, 19:03
can't run installer it stops with this error:
http://elviz.be/daemontools.png

i was unable to uninstall for reinstalling and removed registry entries matching "daemon tools" and all binaries

what could help me to install 400 or 403 version? thanks!

Copytrooper
30.01.2006, 19:31
Try to run setup in safe mode to complete SPTD layer installation, then continue with Daemon Tools installation in normal mode.

poloce
31.01.2006, 22:56
I tried it, still can't get it to work

Underheaven
01.02.2006, 06:03
I tried it, still can't get it to workDoes Windows Server 2003 have more stringent registry or file reading/writing permissions?

What Service Pack are you using and what kind of CPU do you have (32 bit, 64 bit)?

Mauricen
01.02.2006, 14:05
I downloaded the sptdinst_x86.exe app. I booted to safe mode command prompt. When I try to install, it says the same thing "failed to oped config key"

When I try to remove, it tells me it is not installed.

What now?

When happened: XP Home to XP Pro upgrade

poloce
01.02.2006, 23:20
Does Windows Server 2003 have more stringent registry or file reading/writing permissions?

What Service Pack are you using and what kind of CPU do you have (32 bit, 64 bit)?

I think it's pretty much the same as XP, I use dual core 3800+
service pack 1 I think

by the way, I reinstall win 2003, and it let me install in the beginning, and it reboot, after reboot, the installation continue, and I got the same error message, so I don't know if 2003 stops any program from doing any change to Sptd once it's install. In that case, I can't install it in normal mode and safe mode will just keep repeating the same procress by keep instaling the Sptd.

Underheaven
02.02.2006, 04:09
poloce, the continual loop you speak of has been experienced by people on all OSs. I'm not sure of the cause.

You could try manually deleting sptd.sys and installing in safe mode as mentioned in the following post:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?p=48022#post48022

Bullco
04.02.2006, 00:21
This error happened right after I had repaired my windows xp. I tried to reinstall Daemon again, but first this warning comes....

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/1069/warning6om.jpg

Then when I click "OK" I get this error and it cancels the installation!! Please help!

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7150/error2xa.jpg

poloce
04.02.2006, 16:36
poloce, the continual loop you speak of has been experienced by people on all OSs. I'm not sure of the cause.

You could try manually deleting sptd.sys and installing in safe mode as mentioned in the following post:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?p=48022#post48022

I already try that a few times too, deleting the sptd files, but after it reboot, still can not install the program

Leandro
06.02.2006, 11:01
hi
i tried all as poloce, but the diference is that my computer is a 64bit processor and a real raid 0 i used the DT 4.03 x64, maybe the drive of raid 0 is causing problem?
thanks

cavas
11.02.2006, 10:07
3. I've run SPTDinst remove
4. I've run SPTDinst add

Can someone explain these 2 steps after boot in safe mode?

Underheaven
12.02.2006, 05:01
cavas, Did you run the SPTDinst program? What happened when you did it?
If you didn't know how to run it-- it can be run from the command line. "sptdinst_x86 remove" or "sptdinst_x86 add"

Phunky
13.02.2006, 04:24
i finally got this to work after 5 hours of trying and pulling my hair out!
The only thing i did wrong was that is when i tried to run SPTDinst_X86 i didnt include the path, i wrote SPTDinst_X86 add when i really should write c:\SPTDinst_X86 add...
It works now :D
I think someone should write a very detailed tutorial on how to do this correctly. Because i couldnt find one :/

I could do this tho..
The only thing i need is someone who can translate it from swedish to english cus my english sucks. Or maybe i could do it in english and then have someone to correct my grammar.

Folken
15.02.2006, 11:28
Hmm i must second Itom's post, that key obviously hasn't got the right permissions.
Even being logged as an administrator one cannot either display it or change its access permissions (trying to change the parent key permissions and set them to propagate to children keys doesn't even work).
The problem surely relies here, the SPTD setup creates that damn key with corrupted/invalid permissions, which leads to a non possible setup as it tries to change it.

I did try to upgrade my DT 3.47 to 4.03 and it failed with that "Failed to oped config key" error and now i'm stuck.

The "SPTD drivers remove into safe mode" trick cannot be used, as it doesn't even sees itself as being installed (I get that stupid "SPTD is currently not installed" message).

I cannot install it, i cannot remove it.

Well done, pals ! :mad:

cavas
17.02.2006, 18:46
cavas, Did you run the SPTDinst program? What happened when you did it?
If you didn't know how to run it-- it can be run from the command line. "sptdinst_x86 remove" or "sptdinst_x86 add"

when i opened it it showed this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/seanpaul_sexy/here.jpg
then i press OK and nothing happens

Underheaven
18.02.2006, 01:20
cavas, that is because you are not running it from the command line. Start run, cmd.exe

cavas
18.02.2006, 07:21
Okay, can you please tell me what to do next?

Accela
18.02.2006, 13:23
Hmm i must second Itom's post, that key obviously hasn't got the right permissions.
Even being logged as an administrator one cannot either display it or change its access permissions (trying to change the parent key permissions and set them to propagate to children keys doesn't even work).
The problem surely relies here, the SPTD setup creates that damn key with corrupted/invalid permissions, which leads to a non possible setup as it tries to change it.

I did try to upgrade my DT 3.47 to 4.03 and it failed with that "Failed to oped config key" error and now i'm stuck.

The "SPTD drivers remove into safe mode" trick cannot be used, as it doesn't even sees itself as being installed (I get that stupid "SPTD is currently not installed" message).

I cannot install it, i cannot remove it.

Well done, pals ! :mad:

i am having the same problems, all the above solutions does not work. i'm at my wits end..

cavas
19.02.2006, 18:51
ah well what I did was
i booted up in safe mode, i opened the file ''sptdinst_x86.exe'' with cmd.exe and it gave the same error
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/seanpaul_sexy/here.jpg
well since that didnt work i went to run>cmd then hitted enter
i typed sptdinst_x86 remove or sptdinst x86 remove, i tried these two, it was unknown command

UHM is there anyonehere that has Msn and allows me to add him for help?? ( i have real vnc so if that would be easier ill let you use that)

SageRyokian
23.02.2006, 10:01
What you have to do is go into start>run, then type in cmd.exe

and for the sake of simpleness move the sptdinst_x86.exe to your C: root, in other words go to my computer, then C: and then put it directly in there.

now while in command promt(cmd.exe) type "cd.." without quotations until all you see is C:\ where you can type things.

Now assumeing you have moved the spdtinst_x86.exe to the C: root directory, type in "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" without quotations, and it should do the trick for you. Hope this helps.

-Sage

PaulAnthony
23.02.2006, 22:30
When testing Daemon Tools with Vista (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t9386-daemon-tools-4-on-vista-build-5270.html) (it doesn't work), I discovered that a key created by sptdinst has incorrect permissions, I don't know if it is related, just give a try and give your feedback.

1. run regedit
2. goto the key
4. "advanced" button
6. Check inherit from parent ... and replace permissions entries on all child objects ...

and apply.

HTH,

Could somebody please put this key up for download? I can't open/modify mine at all; says "Cannot open cfg: Error opening key". I know once I fix this single key, I'll be able to do the safeboot/cmd SPTDinst thing.

Underheaven
23.02.2006, 23:15
PaulAnthony, the key has correct permissions. I recommend not changing them or importing someone else's .reg file export.

Pixodus
25.02.2006, 12:13
when i got the game Starwars: empire at war
it didn't work because of starforce.
my friend got it up and running after a while and he told me to get the newest DT (DT4 i think...)
when i was downloading it i thought i should uninstall the old DT. but when i did i got my first bluescreen EVER! (in win xp i meen).
i have an original XP home with all updates.
when i started the comp again DT was still there but i couldn't use it. i tried to install/upgrade to DT4 but i got bluescreen again.
so i installed the old DT 3.20.
then i upgraded to DT4 nad when the installation was complete it wanted to reboot the comp, so i did.
when the comp started again the installation got an error (i can't remember the error...sorry) and the installation aborted.
i think DT is gone from my comp, but i can't install the new DT4...
i get the question if i want to install SPTD and i click ok, and i get an error "Failed to open config key"
and i get the same error when trying to install the SPTD file...

i have:
alcohol 120%
winoncd
clone DVD
MCAFFE virusscan and firewall
alot of games :P (newest games: SW:empire at war, sniper elite, GUN...
and of course a lot of other programs (but they have worked fine).

PLEASE help, i can't go on without DAEMON-tools!!!!

Underheaven
25.02.2006, 19:33
Pixodus, you can try running the sptdinst_x86.exe program while in windows safe mode. People have written about success doing that earlier in this thread.

PsycobtK
27.02.2006, 07:18
im not sure at all but i had deamon tools on my hard drive c:/ when i switch to a amd athlon 64bit i had to repair windows now when i tried to start it it says error you are running kernal32 debugging or somethin like that so i removed it and it said cannot find unsti.exe so i did it manualy i dont think i took it out of registar i even tried to use the 1 in the folder and not the 1 in the startup and it said error in set up and somethin about a key now when i try to reisall it it says that error about a faild to open config key can someone plz help me!!!!!!!!!

dbpvr
02.03.2006, 21:47
as I posted elsewhere to fix this problem after a repair install of xp remove the SPTD.SYS from your system32/drivers folder(or rename it) reboot and and then install dtools and it should work fine. even if SPTD isn't running the setup will not overwrite that file and give you "failed to oped config key" but in this case it means really to replace/overwrite "windows/system32/drivers/sptd.sys" file by default the installer asumes if the driver is there its doing an upgrade and wants to check the previous config settings in the registry only they don't exist anymore which gives this error

Hope this helps

selflove
07.03.2006, 09:09
I have the same problem with the "faild to oped" error message. I tried booting in Safe Mode and adding it in cmd prompt but it gave the same error. I tried to run the remove command but then it said that it didn't find it installed.

The latest version of Alcohol 120% also gives me the same problem when installing.

rickydark
09.03.2006, 17:14
Ive been having the same problems as all of you guys and when I try running the "SPTDinst_x86.exe add" i get the same errors as when Im out of safe mode and installing daemon.

When I try remove I get told nothings running.. :|

any help?

darknothing
09.03.2006, 22:54
like the above says i try to install the program and i get that error message. thxz.

KrypticK2
12.03.2006, 19:51
Ive been having the same problems as all of you guys and when I try running the "SPTDinst_x86.exe add" i get the same errors as when Im out of safe mode and installing daemon.

When I try remove I get told nothings running.. :|

any help?

Exactly the same thing with me. I boot in to safe mode run SPTDinst_x86.exe remove and it says "SPTD is currently not installed" So I click ok.
Then try SPTDinst_x86.exe add and I get the same "Failed to oped config key."

I really love daemon tools but I can't get it installed which is disappointing. Can't their just be a release that doesn't require this since everyone and their mothers seems to be having this problem?

ddrueding
14.03.2006, 07:50

1. run regedit
2. goto the key
4. "advanced" button

and apply.

HTH,

This fixed it for me. I had corrupted permissions for the entire spdt key. By changing the owner, then giving myself full permissions, I was able to delete the key. After deleting the key I was able to re-install.

geriatric
12.04.2006, 20:45
After having the same "Failed to open config key" error as everyone else for months and being unable to install Daemon Tools 4.03 x86, I finally got it to work.
I was also able to solve the problem where people would run "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" and have errors saying that no sptd was installed, etc.

To solve error with "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" where error message says no sptd is installed: See Steps 2 - 4.

My setup:
Win XP up-to-date with all service packs
AVG Antivirus
Daemon 3.47 installed

Step 1. Download SPTDinst_x86.exe from here (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5). Save to your C:\ drive for easy access.
Step 2. Restart computer in safe mode but DO NOT hit esc when windows says sptd.sys is loading.
Step 3. When safe mode starts, go into Start menu, click Run... and type "C:\sptdinst_x86.exe remove" without the quotes.
Alternate Step 3. Start windows safe mode with a command prompt. At the prompt type "C:\sptdinst_x86.exe remove" without the quotes.
Step 4. Restart your computer to boot windows normally.
Step 5. Run Daemon Tools 4.03 Installation program.
Step 6. When it asks you to restart your computer, do so, but do not enter into safe mode. Just restart normally.
Step 7. Run installation program again and it should work!

There is NO need to fiddle with the registry or to delete any sptd files from your WINDOWS/system32. This solution worked for me and I hope it works for many of you. I tried to make it as clear as possible. Good luck to everyone!

Meri-chan
16.04.2006, 08:36
If there would just be good manuals, then people wouldn't have to keep asking what the hell they should do. I also have all these problems, and I have no Idea what most of you people talk about. Is there no one who can make a manual with some screenshots and some good explanation in normal english?

luka_matei
17.04.2006, 09:56
Looks like I have the same problem like most of the guys here. I had to repeir my win xp,and I guess something went wrong.I cant install the new verson of deamon because it failed to open config... error message.Could someone tell me how to add sptdinst_x86.

TheSolder
19.04.2006, 19:35
The only thing I can think of is to wait for a sepret download for SPTD

Tingeltangel Bob
24.04.2006, 18:27
Hi, guys,

I have the same prob getting this "Failed to open config key" error message after doing a repair install of WIN XP Pro SP2. I tried all solutions brought up in this thread and changing permissions as itom and ddrueding mentioned seems to be the right step.
My cfg folder is obviously completely screwed up, and I can not even access it. Translation (from German) of the error message would be "Cfg cannot be opened". I'm not able to change permissions, either.

Can anyone help me out? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thx
Tingeltangel Bob

bobbymack
10.05.2006, 18:27
I have the same problem as everyone here, i have tried all the fixes that have worked for other with no sucess.

I too have recently repaired my installation of XP Pro, and wondered if this was true for all those with the problem? I know a few mentioned this in there replies, is this a common theme?

I got an error message from DT after the repair and tried to remove, reinstall, etc.

I now get no error message but cannot install and use DT.

Has the repair and updates from M$ screwed the install?

This is getting old and this thread is growing, if anyone has a fix plz post.

Bob

spe_ripper
13.05.2006, 00:58
for the problem with "failed to open config key"
do:
- switch in safe mode...hit ESC when trying to load sptd.sys
- use sptdinst_x86.exe remove....if it says that no sptd drivers installed there is no problem....go to the next step
- use sptdinst_x86.exe add
- it will ask you to restart the computer after they are installed
- restart in normal mode...install daemon 4.03 and it works!!!!! it will not ask you to restart after installation.

for two hours I read this thread and get a little scared because I don't know a lot about comp and it seem s like some big problems here :) ...

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz dual core
1 Gb Ram
XP Professional SP2
...and it works fine..i hope it will not hang when i boot my computer :)

dazon
17.05.2006, 15:25
I was able to use Daemon for years, but after my last system reset (yesterday), the following message comes up, if i try to install daemon tools: SPTD Setup V1.24.... "Failed to oped config key". After that message, the installer closes. What may i do in order to fix that?

post moved to this thread by Underheaven

dazon
17.05.2006, 16:03
My problem is the fact that my windows root is in E:\windows......

As i try to install: failed to open
as i try to remove with tool: cannot find (safe-mofe with .sys loaded)
as i try to remove by hand: system clean (safe-mode without .sys loaded)
- if i try to install deamon -> reboot-> failed to open (in normal mode)

If i try to open the regedit->.......->cfg:
h*tp://uselast.fasthoster.de/error.jpg

iceshooter16
17.05.2006, 19:40
Hey, I am having a ton of trouble installing the latest version of daemon tools. When I get to the step where it installs the sptd driver I get the common error of "System File Read Error". After searching the forums all morning I have tried many things such as delete any references to sptd and dtscsi on my computer and in registry, turn off virus scanners, safe mode, ect... but nothing works. The main file that people say is the cause for these problems is the sptd.sys file in the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder. However after looking there I dont not even have that file. I have a file called sptd03 with no extension on it and right beside that a couple files called sp with no extension also. I attempted to delete this file but I get an error saying that the file does not exist. I tried many brute force deletion methods but none of them work. So here I am stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix my problems? I'm running windows Media Center Edition 2005 with all of the latest updates and patches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

iceshooter16
19.05.2006, 17:02
anyone with any suggestions at all? A little bit of further input on what I have discovered. Before I edit the registry at all I get the "system file read error" but after I delete all the instances and keys for sptd I get the new error "Failed to oped key". However as soon as I restart my computer the registry fixes it self and I have to go in and delete the keys for sptd again.

Godmyster
01.06.2006, 12:09
Hi, im getting that stupid problem with DT4.0.3, when i try to run it it gives me this message:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6223/prob.jpg

When i try to uninstall it says: Setup is unable to validate installation.

When i try to reinstall the program it gives me this message:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9384/sanstitre2zn.jpg

Anybody finnaly got this thing to work? i uninstalled alcohol thinking it resolve now if i try to install alcohol it gives me the same messages, now i cant run anything!!!!!!!!!!!

Some help here? Thanks

Firefox321
19.06.2006, 11:36
the same error for me.

dont think the daemon tool cant write into the folder "windows/system32/drivers/"
cause I removed the sptd.sys before I install daemon tool,
then reboot system
after that, I checked the the folder "windows/system32/drivers/", there was no sptd.sys in it. then I double clicked daemon tool v.403, this time worked, and ask me to reboot. before I clicked "ok", I checked the folder again, now there was a sptd.sys in it.
I think daemon tool installed that file into the folder.

after reboot, the daemon tool poped up again to continue install.

However this time failed, I got the error message "failed to open config key".

my wild guess is if there is no sptd.sys in the folder, the installer will create one and ask to reboot to continue. but if there is a sptd.sys then i will get error message.

I did another experiement:
after the 1st reboot, i went into safe mode and remove the sptd.sys the daemon tool created, and back to normal mode, the daemon tool continued, but this time it asked me to reboot again..............
thx for your help

Thank again for all the developers and contributors

Firefox321
20.06.2006, 09:22
Step 1. Download SPTDinst_x86.exe from here. Save to your C:\ drive for easy access.
Step 2. Restart computer in safe mode hit esc when windows says sptd.sys is loading.
Step 3. When safe mode starts, go into Start menu, click Run... and type "C:\sptdinst_x86.exe remove" without the quotes.
Step 3.1 type "C:\sptdinst_x86.exe add" without the quotes.
Step 4. Restart your computer to boot windows normally.
Step 5. Run Daemon Tools 4.03 Installation program.
Step 6. So it worked fine for me.

cyclops1
20.06.2006, 16:51
Microsoft artical 908523 for x86 & KB914784 for x64 systems are the updates and have more information.

On my x64 system I just removed the update and everything worked fine.

Simply remove those updates (if possible) and you should be okay.

GalaxyNET
21.06.2006, 19:16
as I posted elsewhere to fix this problem after a repair install of xp remove the SPTD.SYS from your system32/drivers folder(or rename it) reboot and and then install dtools and it should work fine. even if SPTD isn't running the setup will not overwrite that file and give you "failed to oped config key" but in this case it means really to replace/overwrite "windows/system32/drivers/sptd.sys" file by default the installer asumes if the driver is there its doing an upgrade and wants to check the previous config settings in the registry only they don't exist anymore which gives this error

Hope this helps

Yes pal THANK YOU THIS WORKS JUST PERFECT AND NOW 4.0.3 INSTALLS PERFECT.

merm
03.07.2006, 16:25

Hope this helps

Thank you, this was just the answer I was looking for. I had done a "Repair" of my Windows XP SP2 installation and was getting this error. I deleted the sped.sys and then was able to uninstall, then reinstall the software.

Thanks.

Minkus
08.07.2006, 08:30

Hope this helps

This is the only thing that worked for me as well. I know a few posters above me endorsed this. It did indeed work for me after everything else had failed. I renamed the file when I was in safe mode. I rebooted my system, then tried to install it again. It prompted me to restart, so I did. I then uninstalled the old version using the 4.0.3 installer, then installed it. Works fine now.

Underheaven
08.07.2006, 11:58
This is the only thing that worked for me as well. I know a few posters above me endorsed this. It did indeed work for me after everything else had failed. I renamed the file when I was in safe mode. I rebooted my system, then tried to install it again. It prompted me to restart, so I did. I then uninstalled the old version using the 4.0.3 installer, then installed it. Works fine now.Glad you got it installed Minkus :).

If anyone else encounters this problem and feels the need to use the above steps: There is a program that automates the "rename/delete/prepare for SPTD reinstall process". It is linked to at the following post, look for "Download link".

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showpost.php?p=61738&postcount=4

Development
10.07.2006, 19:40
Just one advice to all who want to disable SPTD temporarily.
Instead of renaming/deleting SPTD.SYS better disable its service: find HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SPTD
registry key and modify Start value from 0 to 4. No need
to rename or remove files then.
This will be compatible even with Vista, because if you rename
file alone Vista will not boot at all, even in safe mode (thx to Microsoft ;().

If you need SPTD back then replace this value with 0 agian.

If you run new SPTD setup it changes this value to 0 automatically so no need to do anything.

sfkilla23
10.07.2006, 20:35
Just one advice to all who want to disable SPTD temporarily.
Instead of renaming/deleting SPTD.SYS better disable its service: find HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SPTD
registry key and modify Start value from 0 to 4. No need
to rename or remove files then.

If you need SPTD back then replace this value with 0 agian.

If you run new SPTD setup it changes this value to 0 automatically so no need to do anything.

Thanks for the hint ;)

Jito463
10.07.2006, 23:06
Well, thank you Microsoft. Why would the lack of a non-system driver file prevent Windows from booting? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Underheaven
10.07.2006, 23:31
a non-system driver file
SPTD is installed as an important driver. Windows thinks it is a boot-start driver.

But yea, I'm furious at Microsoft's blocking of normal and safe mode with this (I didn't know about it 'till VeNoM386 mentioned it). The only side effect is that more home users would learn how to use the recovery console.

Jito463
11.07.2006, 00:15
I disagree, the side-affect is that more home users take their computers in and pay to have it fixed. They'll never bother to learn the recovery console. Well, more money for us PC fixers I suppose, heh.

Development
11.07.2006, 05:17
This shit appeared lately only - Vista Beta 1 could still boot with renamed driver, but Beta 2 now needs it badly "to death".
You need either modify registy somehow via recovery console
or copy correct driver by booting to alternative OS.

molitar
15.07.2006, 07:25
Here is how to fix this problem. Go download from resource kit the file SRVINSTW.EXE and run it. Select remove a service > NEXT > Local Machine > NEXT > Include Device Drivers... search for the service sptd and click to remove it. Now you can install Daemon-Tools without that error.

the_doc735
18.07.2006, 16:44
When trying to install 4.0.3 I get the SPTD setup error message

"Failed to oped config key" after the...

"This program will install SCSI Pass..." message.

HAVE TRIED AND READ SUGGESTIONS SO FAR TO 'NO-AVAIL'

:mad:

...any more breakthroughs please???

Lies
23.07.2006, 01:42
You have a problem with STPD ?
"Failed to oped config key" ?!
And other ?

Easy.

Download CleanUp 4.5.2.
After, choose options in the soft, config the soft in a Standard Mod.
Run CleanUp.
Reboot your system.
Try to install DT 4.0.3.

If good on X64 System.

Enjoy.

And ...
Sorry for this F..k English.

Borg_Illuminati
02.08.2006, 23:56
Just delete all info in registry, then delete drivers with SPTD in Windows/system32/drivers & anything to do with SPTD..

Worked for me:D

Because Like you lot I spent 2-4 hours messing about & then above worked..

Delete info for software with deamon tools alcohol in registry....
from run in start menu type regedit & then locate:)

Dustrider
06.08.2006, 21:59
I copied this from your archives and Changed a few things to make the instillation easier.
Have you ever gotten a "System File Error" or "Unable to open Config.sys" when installing Daemon Tools.

This is how I got mine fixed.
It has to do with the SPTD drivers and the dtsci.sys file.

1. First unistall all virtual drives and DT along with Alcohol 120%.
2. Open your Command Prompt type "cd\ "then enter and then type "cd windows\system32\drivers" and delete sptd.sys, sptdxxxx.sys [xxxx being a number]), and dtsci.sys files
3. Then restart your pc.
4. Run daemon tools installation file. It will then install the SPTD thing again and then restart the pc.
5. The installation will then continue, follow the installation wizard and your up and running.

After you have done the above you can install Alcohol 120% latest version. This took care of the config.sys, kernel, and sptd errors.
Hope this helps. If it doesn't you can go to the archives and figuire out like I did. There are alot of solutions depending on your setup.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/archive/index.php/t-9327.html

romysor
13.08.2006, 12:49
It has to do with the SPTD drivers and the dtsci.sys file.

1. First unistall all virtual drives and DT along with Alcohol 120%.
2. Open your Command Prompt type "cd\ "then enter and then type "cd windows\system32\drivers" and delete sptd.sys, sptdxxxx.sys [xxxx being a number]), and dtsci.sys files
3. Then restart your pc.
4. Run daemon tools installation file. It will then install the SPTD thing again and then restart the pc.
5. The installation will then continue, follow the installation wizard and your up and running.

YES! I followed these steps and got my problem fixed . THx man!

twstdpairs
21.08.2006, 20:40

First of all, thanks for all the posts. renaming the dtscsi.sys and sptd.sys, rebooting and then reinstalling Daemon Tools 4.03 got me up and running. After reading these posts and poking around, I have come to the following conclusion:

On NT/2000/XP, the registry permissions for "[HKLM]\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd\Cfg" are INCORRECT in only having the local Administrators group access to the key and only having assigned the "Query Value" and "Set Value" permissions. This key should at minimum have "Delete" capability for proper re-installation or removal of the registry key as needed. If you are capable (experienced) of changing the permissions, I recommend setting this key to "Inherit" the permissions from is parent and set to have child objects permission replaced accordingly.

Also, Daemon Tools 4.x installs the dtscsi.sys and sptd.sys drivers on our computers. Upon sucessful installation and reboot, the drivers are set to load by windows. As these drivers are loaded, they lock the above mentioned registry key. Daemon Tools upgrade or uninstallation needs to either disable the driver properly and/or remove (or prompt the user to remove) the drivers. Currenty, the drivers remain on our computers and get loaded even after Daemon Tools is uninstalled. During this situation, any attempts to update the "Cfg" registry key are foiled because the key is locked and/or because the only group having permission to this key has limited access (does not have read, write or delete).

I believe that safe-mode update/removal may only work if you opt to not load the sptd.sys driver. This is done by pressing "Esc" during the safemode boot process. If you miss this, then the driver will be loaded in safe mode with the Cfg registry key locked with the same problem. I say "may" work because, i didnt actually observe that the sptdinst.exe tool helped me out. This may have been bacause it is sensible that the "sptdinst.exe remove" command probably attempts to remove the sptd registry key including the "Cfg" subkey - in which the "Administrators" group does not have "Delete" permission to.

Hope this is helpful.

Jito463
22.08.2006, 04:54
On NT/2000/XP, the registry permissions for "[HKLM]\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd\Cfg" are INCORRECT
Actually, it is correct. SPTD and Alcohol work perfectly on my system, but access to that reg key is still blocked. It's designed that way to avoid some blacklist methods. Unfortunately, it looks like some people may have to change that make it work on their system for who knows what reason. But to say it's set wrong is incorrect.

twstdpairs
22.08.2006, 05:45
But to say it's set wrong is incorrect.

I think it is a mistake to set only one group of user to have access to a key and then greatly limit that key so that removal of the key (through registry cleanup tool or uninstall) is not possible without either changing the permissions manually or in some advanced automated way. So many people dont know how MS security works and develop programs that need to write user config to the wrong keys and wrong areas of a NTFS hard drive - the reason MS shipped the OS with everyone having Admin privileges - so much of the poorly developed applications function (not associating Daemon Tools as being poorly developed but there are plenty).

I am quite familiar with MS security in the registry and say that it is indeed a blunder / wrong to set the permissions as stated.

At runtime, sptd.sys itself takes care of locking / hiding the contents of the Cfg registry key - whether Administrators have full control or not. Accordingly, I see no reason to have one sole group linked to this key, who doesnt even have permission to delete the key. My local admins group now has 'full control' of that key, but still cant access the key when my computer is booted normally and sptd.sys loaded - maintaining the protection against blacklist methods.

Ref: http://www.greatis.com/security/What%20is%20SPTD%23%23%23%23.sys.htm (a user should not have to go through this much pain for proper uninstallation)

One last point: Software "working perfectly" to an end user, by no means account for the components that the software consists of as having been implemented in a "correct" manner.

Freakanomalos
31.08.2006, 23:53
Hello guys this is my first post and I just solved my problem after some tries. PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE LIKE INSTALLING SPTD FROM COMMAND WINDOW (Especially to people that re-installed windows or anything like it). Thats what worked for me :

Go to registry editor ( RUN -> regedit) in the location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd
and double click to the "Start" value. For some reason mine was set to "0" it is supposed to be set to "1" in order to work!
You can try everything that people in this forum suggests AFTER setting this value to "1"

I really hope I helped some out there - excuse my english ;) Good luck!

Underheaven
01.09.2006, 13:25
Hello guys this is my first post and I just solved my problem after some tries. PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE LIKE INSTALLING SPTD FROM COMMAND WINDOW (Especially to people that re-installed windows or anything like it). Thats what worked for me :

Go to registry editor ( RUN -> regedit) in the location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd
and double click to the "Start" value. For some reason mine was set to "0" it is supposed to be set to "1" in order to work!
You can try everything that people in this forum suggests AFTER setting this value to "1"

I really hope I helped some out there - excuse my english ;) Good luck!
Beware that the value is supposed to be zero.