How would IDE-Jammer work if...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would IDE-Jammer work if...?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and have a question .

How exactly would the new Daemon Tools functions (virtual IDE drivers and the IDE-Jammer, I think?) bypass things like, say, Starforce for the people who unplugging the IDE drivers doesn't even bypass Starforce like it's supposed to?

Just a curious question as I'm not too learned on the whole emulation and copy protection stuff .

Thanks in advance for any replies.

the ide jammer works quite like SFN. this will probably work for older SF games (3.4 and older) but not for recent ones.
    the vIDE (only for the pro version) is a new virtual drives which may bypass all SF copyprotections and u dont have to unpug your IDE...
    My sysProfile!

Comment

Question about IDE-Jammer?

Hi guys, I tried posting this yesterday, but for some reason, I can't find the post anywhere, so I'll give it another go.

Basically, just a curious thought:

I can't get Starforce 3.6+ games to work without the disc inserted on my setup (Intel P4), even with unplugging the IDE cables--the one sure-fire way to bypass Starforce.

So my question is, how can the IDE Jammer (or virtual IDE device or whatever :P) that is going to be in the new Daemon Tools bypass Starforce 3.6+ on my setup, if unplugging the optical devices doesn't even work?

Just curious if it does something other than the name suggests, because to me (I'll be the first to admit though, I'm not too knowledgeable on stuff like this), it just sounds like a less shady StarforceNightmare type of device.

Thanks!

Comment

I just merged today's thread and yesterday's thread for you .
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Disc Check?

I'm not sure why a virtual IDE drive would bypass that disc-check the Starforce protection program ends up doing.

I mean, even if Starforce thinks the IDE drive is the real deal (or whatever it needs to think), wouldn't it still have to perform the disc check and notice something's not the same?

Comment

Because the vIDE is not a SCSI Device, SF will accept this drive as "real" optical drive.
            Then DT emulates the DPM data and SF thinks, it is the real CD/DVD, since DT is not blacklisted by SF at the moment.

I think I understand that right, if not, someone of the developers should correct me.

Comment

Are you using the latest version of Daemon Tools (i.e. 4.03)?
              Do you have any other virtual drives than Daemon Tools' in your system? Those might be blacklisted too.

If 'external' causes like other programs being blacklisted can be eliminated, it sounds like your images might be broken. How did you create them? The StarForce drivers interfere with Alcohol's DPM process so you'll need to uninstall them before creating images.

By the way, the forums are moderated which is why your posts didn't show up immediately.

edit:
              Originally Posted by DomiOh
              Because the vIDE is not a SCSI Device, SF will accept this drive as "real" optical drive.
              Then DT emulates the DPM data and SF thinks, it is the real CD/DVD, since DT is not blacklisted by SF at the moment.
              That's right. Only because Daemon Tools has become very hard to blacklist have SCSI blacklists been introduced, so we may hope that the vIDE drives will prevent any kind of blacklist for a long time to come.
              "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Working...
              X