Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win 2000 SP3--NO MORE CD ROMS! ROXIO PROBLEM: Beware.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2000 SP3--NO MORE CD ROMS! ROXIO PROBLEM: Beware.

I AM AN IDIOT. Please read this whole thread. I was wrong and did the research and found the real problem and how to "fix" it. Read on!--edited on NOV 21, 2002.

Win 2000 Pro SP3

After installing DT 323 and then uninstalling it, my CD Roms will not comunicate with my OS.

THIS WAS NOT DTs FAULT. Please read on

Very sorry and I delted all of my stupidity.
    lipps2000 w lipps2000

If your system cannot load the driver for your CDROMs then most likely somebody deleted cdrom.inf or you are running some filter driver that prevents system from installing it. We cannot be held responsible for other programs that are running on your system.

Comment

Another post by my idiotic self. Please read resolution below. Appologies to all DT people.

<bows head in shame>
      lipps2000 w lipps2000

Comment

Instead of complaining about Daemon Tools you should give us some info about the software installed on your system, and your system configuration (cpu, board, ram ...).
        We tested Daemon Tools on all MS OSs including Win2k, installed, un-installed, updated, mounted, unmounted, ... I tested it with Win2k SP3 myself - no problems at all, never!
        So whatever caused your problem, we wonґt figure it out by complaining for sure.
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by lipps2000
          I don't use "filter drivers" and no one but myself, as the administrator, runs my machine, ever. Period.
          I bet you don't even know what filter driver is. So be careful before making any assumptions...
          For your information: such software like CloneCD, Easy CD Creator and many others may install filter drivers and don't even warn you about that
          (unlike Philip Morris )

Comment

You know what? You are both correct on all accounts. I am an idiot, and I didn't know wht a filter driver is until I really started digging. God damit I'm sorry. I was frustrated and took it out on you guys, but your program ROCKS. Even when I was pissed I thought the program was cool as hell.

OK, so you want an apology, you got it from the bottom of my heart and I want to explain to you what I think happened.

I uninstalled Roxio right before installing DTs. Yeah, now you know WTF went wrong and so do I. I went to MS support page and did a search for Win 2000 "error 31" and what comes up--if you uninstall roxio EZ CD Creator your CDROMS go south. Why? Because of the FILTER DRIVERS Roxio puts in. I've always hated Roxio anyway.

I feel really dumb.

FOR ALL RUNNING ROXIO AND WIN 2000 BEWARE. You can read it your self here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;270008

Here is the text: NOTE: there maybe multiple entrys the same as the one they tell you to delete. I deleted all of the FLITERS I could find and ended up not having keyboard or mouse functions. I suggest going to the very first registry key entry and delete those then reboot and continue until you fix the problem or it gets so bad you gotta reload anyway

From the MS website:

Cannot Access CD-ROM and Code 31 Error Messages Occur After Removing
            The information in this article applies to:
            Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
            Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
            Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

This article was previously published under Q270008
            For a Microsoft Windows XP version of this article, see 314060.

This article also applies to Adaptec Easy Creator 5.01. IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SYMPTOMS
            After you remove Adaptec Easy CD Creator versions 5.01 and earlier or DirectCD version 3.01 or 3.01c from your computer, your computer may experience the following behavior:
            You are cannot access your CD-ROMs in My Computer.
            In Device Manager, the following error message occurs with all CD-ROM devices connected to your system:

The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).
            The Device Manager displays the following error code message:

A driver for this device was not required, and has been turned off (Code 32 or Code 31).
            NOTE: You may also receive an error code 39 message that indicates that the driver is corrupted.

The Device Manager displays the following error code message:

Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)
            This code means that the registry returned an unknown result.
            RESOLUTION
            WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

There are two supported methods to resolve this issue.
            Method One
            Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

NOTE: If you are getting a code 39 message, it may be that additional third-party filter drivers were added to UpperFilters and LowerFilters values in addition to Adaptec filter drivers. In that case, you may try to remove the non-Adaptec filter drivers first, leaving the Easy Creator filters in place to see if the Code 39 goes away. If you still receive an error code 39, 32, or 31 message, remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely in the preceding key.

Restart your computer.
            Method Two
            If the above method does not resolve the code 31 error message and restore access to your CD-ROMs, if you also have Media Player version 7.0 installed, you can uninstall Media player version 7.0 and download and install the latest release posted at the following Microsoft Web site:

STATUS
            This is a known issue with Easy CD Creator versions 5.01 and earlier, and DirectCD versions 3.01c and earlier.
            MORE INFORMATION
            This issue may also occur with the latest versions of Easy CD Creator 5.01 and DirectCD 3.01d or later.

The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

NOTE: There may be other third party CD-Writing Software that exhibit similar behavior. Some or all of these troubleshooting steps can apply to them if they also add entries under the UpperFilters or LowerFilters registry values by either adding their filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values outlined in this article that start with:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Anyway let me offer once again my humble appologies and thanks for doing a good job of telling me off. Really sorry about that. I hope my research here makes up a little for my stupidity.
            lipps2000 w lipps2000

Comment

Yeah! Everybody is friends again!

To avoid problems like this in the future, we will probably add/sticky some posts with common issues. For example, the easy cd issue.

Comment

Yeah but I f*ucked up and I'm sorry. Feel like a dip shi*t too.

I want to load DTs again but I am running NERO now. Will that cause problems? I have an image of MEch 4 that I burned for back up reasons and it has a write disk error whn it gets to disk 2 at 48% loading the maps ("Error writing to disk or file is read only"<--have 20 gigs on the disk partition and the file doesn't even exist yet on the drive). I can't figure it out. So I wanted to mount the original image to see if it would work using DTs. If so, I know the burn is bad.

WIN 2000 pro SP3
                SCSI Adaptec 2940 UL card attached to a pioneer CDROM (No otehr drives. I use to run full SCSI long time ago, JSut don;t have money for another IDE reader yet).
                IDE Recoder Mirsumi 480 XATE
                AMD 1200
                MSI 6330 MB
                384 MBram
                GF 2 GTS/PRo <--stilla good card dammit!
                lipps2000 w lipps2000

Comment

Nero should work with Daemon Tools, just use the newest Nero version (5.5.9.17 atm) ...
                  and use the newest Daemon Tools version released today
                  I hope you deleted all Easy Coaster Creator bullshit drivers for good - so you wonґt blew up your Win2k again ...
                  btw did you update the ASPI drivers?

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
                    Nero should work with Daemon Tools, just use the newest Nero version (5.5.9.17 atm) ...
                    and use the newest Daemon Tools version released today
                    I hope you deleted all Easy Coaster Creator bullshit drivers for good - so you wonґt blew up your Win2k again ...
                    btw did you update the ASPI drivers?

Hahaha, Easy Coaster Creator <--good one. I absolutely have always hated that program. Well, I formated my system directory and then reinstalled Win 2000, so that should have gotten rid of anything. I'm using 5.5.9.17 Nero too.

Is this the coorrect ASPI:

Filename: aspi_v471.exe
                    Date: 28 May 2002
                    Size: 546,464 bytes
                    Language: English
                    Version: 4.71
                    Estimated Download Time:
                    Modem (56k) - 0 minutes, 9 seconds
                    DSL (256k) - less than 5 seconds
                    T1 (1.4Mb) - less than 5 seconds

Description:
                    Updated ASPI drivers version 4.71 for Windows 98, NT 4, Me, 2000 and XP. Includes ASPICHK version checking utility Changes Between v 4.70 and v 4.71) Previous versions of aspi32.sys for Windows 2000 and XP may not return the proper Maximum Number of Targets (HA_MaxTargets) in reponse to Host Adapter Inquiry (HA_INQUIRY). This has been corrected.
                    Caution:
                    Do not use this version of the ASPI layer in Windows 95. Use ASPI version 4.60 found under the EZ-SCSI 5.x downloads for Windows 95. Adaptec provides this software without charge and as a courtesy to Adaptec product users but offers no technical support regarding this software.

Installation Instruction:
                    This file extracts by default to the c:\adaptec\aspi directory. If you have changed this directory, please note the directory you have chosen. For Windows 98, NT 4.0, Me and 2000, use the enclosed ASPIINST.EXE file to install the ASPI layer. For Windows XP, select Start - Run from the menu, and then the Browse button. Locate the INSTALL.BAT file in the directory the files extracted to and select the OPEN button. In the command box, add a space and either XP32 for Pentium I/II/III/IV processors or XP64 for Itanium processors. The command should look like: c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP32 or c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP64. Then select the OK button to run the XP installer.

Is there anything I need to know before I install it and end up reloading again?? -- LOL

For instance, on the web page it says to use the ASPIINST.EXE to instal it, but in the zip file I downloaded, it says to use teh bat file. I assume that the ASPIINST.EXE invokes the bat file?
                    lipps2000 w lipps2000

Comment

Well, it seems Adaptec updated their ASPI drivers to 4.72 already ... (or 4.71.2 or whatever) ... anyway, you should update your ASPI drivers as the drivers coming with Windows are buggy ...

Comment

Working...
                      X