Virtual USB driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual USB driver

I read the virtual IDE driver is difficult to implement.
    Maybe the devs should consider creating a virtual USB-driver. This should be possible, the USB-over-IP solutions must have a similar driver.

As USB drives seem to be off limit for most protections, it would give DT a huge advantage for some time to come. And they cannot simply restrict running the software from USB drives (like they do with SCSI) because USB is much more popular in mainstream PCs today than SCSI ever was.

Bye,
    XSL0702

Re: Virtual USB driver

Games don't have insertable USB devices when you buy them. They come on CDs. Hence the virtual CD/DVD drive. You can't make a CD game become a USB game. The game will still look for a CD.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

well i was more thinking of emulating a CD/DVD drive attached to an USB port, not to a SCSI port or an IDE port.

Comment

O.K. I should have followed you in the first place. I remember hearing something about Starforce 3.6 not allowing USB CD-ROM drives in newer versions of Starforce. I'm not sure though.
        Last edited by Underheaven; 13.01.2006, 01:50.
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I can image that StarForce sooner or later will not allow any SCSI drives anymore (under no circonstance, with or without other CD drives). Those SCSI CD/DVD drives are becoming so rare, they might simply not care about the few frustrated customers.

This might change with the emergence of more SATA DVD drives (recognized by Windows as SCSI devices), but this doesn't seem to happen right now.

But doing so with USB drives, they risk to upset a lot more customers, maybe more than the game publishers would accept.

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
            O.K. I should have followed you in the first place. I remember hearing something about Starforce 3.6 not allowing USB CD-ROM drives in newer versions of Starforce. I'm not sure though.
            You're right, SF since 3.6 does not support USB Drives anymore.

Furthermore I thought, most of the vIDE has been already done yet...

Comment

Working...
            X