RAID controller fixes Starforce!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID controller fixes Starforce!!

I know I'm new here, but I've been keeping track of the starforce problem for awhile now. Today I tried something new. My motherboard has an onboard RAID controller. I checked, and anything plugged into it (hard drives or CD/DVD drives) show up as SCSI devices, not IDE. So I plugged my DVD drive into the RAID controller, and tried running POP: The Two Thrones. Works perfectly! And I still have the use of my CD/DVD drive. I would think that this should work for anyone. If you don't have a built in RAID controller you could probably use an add on PCI RAID Controller to get the same result. I'm curious to see if this works for anyone else. Hope this helps someone out there!

Ruharc

Yes, this does work for other users too. The search button is your friend!
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Originally Posted by Ruharc
      I know I'm new here, but I've been keeping track of the starforce problem for awhile now. Today I tried something new. My motherboard has an onboard RAID controller. I checked, and anything plugged into it (hard drives or CD/DVD drives) show up as SCSI devices, not IDE. So I plugged my DVD drive into the RAID controller, and tried running POP: The Two Thrones. Works perfectly! And I still have the use of my CD/DVD drive. I would think that this should work for anyone. If you don't have a built in RAID controller you could probably use an add on PCI RAID Controller to get the same result. I'm curious to see if this works for anyone else. Hope this helps someone out there!

Ruharc
      This workaround is fixed in Starforce 3.7,to play Games with this protection you have to disable the entire Raid-Controller or unplug the optical drives again.

Comment

So the latest version of Starforce actually detects if there is an optical drive on a RAID controller and if so won't let the mounted image run? So at this point if someone had a motherboard with a RAID contnroller and had a SCSI drive installed they would have to disable the RAID controller entirely?

Comment

Yup, for TM:Sunrise eXtreme you need to disable the IDE controller too, and that with StarForce v3.6 already.

Comment

I`ve just bought a new ST Labs PCI ATA 133 IDE card with Raid support (optional) yesterday.

But I have a problem.When I plug my optical drives into it and start my computer. The controller does not detect my optical drives.

Please tell me how to fix this?

Comment

Does your controller support ATAPI devices? Some cheap IDE cards only support hard discs (at least some RAID controllers on motherboards do).

Check if your jumper settings are correct, and if you plugged in the IDE cable correctly (the blue plug goes into the motherboard, the black one into the master device, the grey one into the slave device if present).

Comment

Originally Posted by NetSoerfer
                Does your controller support ATAPI devices? Some cheap IDE cards only support hard discs (at least some RAID controllers on motherboards do).

Check if your jumper settings are correct, and if you plugged in the IDE cable correctly (the blue plug goes into the motherboard, the black one into the master device, the grey one into the slave device if present).
                Maybe you`re right. It was quite cheap. It detects hardrives ,but when I plug my optical drives on it ,then nothing happens. It detects my two HDDs and thats all.
                I think I have to give up ,and sell it to some one else.

Comment

Originally Posted by hmmm
                  sell it to some one else
                  This sounds like an easy way to avoid headaches.
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by NetSoerfer
                    Yup, for TM:Sunrise eXtreme you need to disable the IDE controller too, and that with StarForce v3.6 already.
                    Assuming you mean TrackMania, That's not true. I played it just using StarForce Cleaner.

But StarForce definately sucks. But if you go into hidden devices in your Hardware Device Manager there are 2 StarForce drivers installed. You can manually uninstall them from there or use StarForce cleaner. Then the game still runs fine This worked for TM Nations aswell....

TM is one of those ones that doesn't tell you it's installed, unlike King Kong or Cold War which blatantly tells you it's gonna install StarForce protection.

Comment

For TM:Sunrise Extreme it's true you need to unplug your drives or disable your controller. The extreme add-on updates the sf driver to versio 3.6. Without the extreme add-on it can be played only with disabling your drives, there's no need to unplug them.
                      You're right with TM.
                      Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Originally Posted by smokinxp
                        Assuming you mean TrackMania, [...] I played it just using StarForce Cleaner.
                        That is very interesting, I will look into this as soon as I get home.

Comment

why do you guys bother unplugging your hard ware #1 it may cause a static and ruin your hardware

easy fix go to windows device and unstall your cd rom

unplugging ide is dangerous and can break your cables or cd rom

Comment

Working...
                          X