Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools and Addware!

Hey,

When installing the new version of DT for x64, my virus checker found DT to try and install addware on my system! Does anyone know anything about this??
    the file SetupDTSB.exe is a Win32/Adware.SaveNow application.

Im interested to know why this has been put in Daemon Tools.

WanaGo

Originally Posted by WanaGo
    Hey,

When installing the new version of DT for x64, my virus checker found DT to try and install addware on my system! Does anyone know anything about this??
    the file SetupDTSB.exe is a Win32/Adware.SaveNow application.

Im interested to know why this has been put in Daemon Tools.

WanaGo
    This is an option that you can choose to wherever install or not. This is for the team to continue with there work!
    Click here to visit my website.]

Comment

Does nobody read the information on the download page?

This version has an option to install client-side software applications (DAEMON Tools Searchbar and Save Now) that deliver a limited number of behaviorally targeted and contextually relevant coupons, ads and comparative shopping results directly to consumers desktops - without compromising the privacy, security or smooth functioning of peoples computers! No URL hijacking or redirects! In order to support FREE distribution of DAEMON Tools we highly encourage you at least to try out this optional software! (you can remove it anytime later when you wish: via Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs)

Comment

I had previously thought it was impossible to download DAEMON Tools without seeing that .
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
          I had previously thought it was impossible to download DAEMON Tools without seeing that .
          Sometimes I think, that some people don't want to read it
          My system
          Boycott Starforce!
          Wiederstand ist zwecklos! Ihr Assis werdet miliert!

Comment

lmao...
            I am beginning to think some people cant read at all...

Possibly they have learnt the words "Download" and "Next" and that is as far as their literacy goes......
            SpeedLabs Inc. - Welcome to the real world...

Comment

Why is it labeled adware

Why does the installer not offer a CLEAR EXPLANATION that this software is being installed and that antivirus may think it is bad. Also, the user should have to interact to confirm that they are installing this, not set it by default.

Users have the right to want to only know how to 'read' "Download" and "Next". Dont you want downloading and installation of applications to be easy?
              It is possible to clearly explain to the user what the software is doing, while at the same time making it simple for the user.

I guess users of this kind of program are smart enough to know how to figure out what this is about. But think of all the searching efforts and scratching heads that you would additively save by simply adding a clear concise explanation screen to the installation.

I do applaud that DT at least TRIED to be upfront about the ad software. Most software isnt.

Comment

Originally Posted by nyeates1
                Why does the installer not offer a CLEAR EXPLANATION that this software is being installed and that antivirus may think it is bad. Also, the user should have to interact to confirm that they are installing this, not set it by default.
                even if you miss the check box, you can cancel the adware setup at its EULA. so you cant really say you missed the option to not install

Comment

And you can uninstall it from the Control Panel, and yes i think that usually press on "Next" button without read.
                  Mejor morir de pie, que no vivir de rodillas.

Comment

Originally Posted by nyeates1

Users have the right to want to only know how to 'read' "Download" and "Next". Dont you want downloading and installation of applications to be easy?
                    It is possible to clearly explain to the user what the software is doing, while at the same time making it simple for the user.

I guess users of this kind of program are smart enough to know how to figure out what this is about. But think of all the searching efforts and scratching heads that you would additively save by simply adding a clear concise explanation screen to the installation.

I do applaud that DT at least TRIED to be upfront about the ad software. Most software isnt.
                    So you believe that users have a right to be drooling idiots in front of their computer? If they can't even opt out of a single install that allows them to, how can they be expected to keep their machine safe from spyware and adware the rest of the time? I guarantee, anyone that believes they can just click next through an installer, already has a ton of malware on their machine. One more adware toolbar isn't going to make a difference at this point.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463
                      So you believe that users have a right to be drooling idiots in front of their computer? If they can't even opt out of a single install that allows them to, how can they be expected to keep their machine safe from spyware and adware the rest of the time? I guarantee, anyone that believes they can just click next through an installer, already has a ton of malware on their machine. One more adware toolbar isn't going to make a difference at this point.
                      HEAR HEAR!!
                      SpeedLabs Inc. - Welcome to the real world...

Comment

I totally agree with you Jito463

Comment

Isn't there an old saying..."Ignorance is no excuse..."

I'd have to say Daemon-Tools has been THE MOST upfront about its Adware feature than ANY OTHER software I know of.
                          1. They Announced it on the mainpage.
                          2. They have a forum area dedicated to the discussion of it
                          3. It's optional at D-Tools install (clearly marked if you want it or not).
                          4. You can cancel out of it during the D-Tools searchbar install.
                          5. You can uninstall it through Add/Remove (it doesn't try to hide itself or disguise itself like other Adware/Malware).

It's CLEARLY stated its Adware (they never once tried to hide this)--so is it a leap to think that Anti-Virus programs (in which more and more have build in Anti-Spyware/Adware fuctions) are picking up on it?

Comment

Originally Posted by Zyxthior
                            Isn't there an old saying..."Ignorance is no excuse..."

I'd have to say Daemon-Tools has been THE MOST upfront about its Adware feature than ANY OTHER software I know of.
                            1. They Announced it on the mainpage.
                            2. They have a forum area dedicated to the discussion of it
                            3. It's optional at D-Tools install (clearly marked if you want it or not).
                            4. You can cancel out of it during the D-Tools searchbar install.
                            5. You can uninstall it through Add/Remove (it doesn't try to hide itself or disguise itself like other Adware/Malware).

It's CLEARLY stated its Adware (they never once tried to hide this)--so is it a leap to think that Anti-Virus programs (in which more and more have build in Anti-Spyware/Adware fuctions) are picking up on it?
                            there is no excuse for saying you didnt see the checkbox or know about the adware or how to uninstall it

Comment

cant find adware unistall

Hmm.... I've read the message that says I can goto add/remove programs to uninstall the adware, but those entries are not showing in my add/remove programs. I just installed 4.06 64 bit version. The adware was installed, but no add/remove item was added.

This makes me super mad because I actually read the information and I actually am willing to give the stuff a try to aupport the cause, but not being able to uninstall it makes it no longer adware, it is now malware and so it the program that installed it.

This is a completely clean system that's never had any version of daemon tools installed on it before. (ie, its newly reinstalled).

I plan to uninstall and reinstall and try again. But for now I'm P-O'd!!

Comment

Working...
                              X