Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Daemon-Tools be involved here?

G'day all,

I have just finished building my new machine, and installing my copy of Windows XP. I have also installed Daemon-Tools 3.33 and it appears to be working fine. However, with all things Micro$oft, I've got problems with my install of WinXP. :x I'm not sure if Daemon Tools might have an effect on this problem, so I though I might ask the experts.

The problem is that I'm getting the famous "squeal-of-death" BSOD with my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card. However, I my case it's a little different. I'm running a...

CPU = Pentium 4 3.0ghz / 800 512k cache Socket478 NorthWood CORE
    MOBO = Intel B875PBZ i875 chipset
    RAM = Two Kingston 512Mb PC3500 HyperX DDR Ram in dual channel mode
    CD-ROM = CD-ROM IDE 52x SONY 5231s OEM
    AUDIO = SoundBlaster AUDIGY 2 Retail box 24bit, 106db SNR, 6.1 Surround sound, THX
    HDD = Seagate Barracuda V 120GB 7200rpm Serial ATA150 HDD - 8MB Cache

I am running with hyper threading enabled, with dual channel memory mode on. When I get the "squeal-of-death" BSOD, I hear the squeals but also a number of the normal game sounds playing in the background.

At this stage I think it's the Audigy drivers crashing one of the two hyper-threading threads, as it can't handle the new technology, but I also want to know of the virtual drive devices run by Daemon Tools might be contributing to the problem.

This is possible?

Try to disable onboard sound/game port support in bios.

Comment

OK, but...

Im sure this board does not have any on-board audio features. The only thing on-board is the Serial ATA RAID controller and LAN though the Southbridge. The board I'm using can be view below:

However I have planned to do a number of other things, which are detailed at this URL below:

My main concern was to see if Daemon Tools might be involved with this problem.

Thanks for the tip though.

Comment

Try to uninstall dtools and see if your problems go away.

Comment

Thanks.

Will do. Once I try that suggestion I'll gat back to you with an update.

Cheers.

Comment

Daemon Tools was NOT at fault after all.

As usual with computers, I nailed down the problem and it's got nothing to do with anything I initially suspected. It was the joystick all along!!

The discovery goes like this...

Once I got the chance I opened my box and extracted the Audigy card and game port connecter, from the case. I then re-installed the card from PCI socket 2 to socket 4, being my first choice for testing. At this stage I didn't bother plugging in the game port bracket back into the card. I figured that I'll be moving the card around a lot, so I wouldn't bother plugging the game port back in, until I was happy with the new socket position.

Anyway, once I had done this I rebooted the computer and loaded up one of the games that was causing me grief. To my surprise I got no lock-up. I played for about 15 minutes, going to areas in the game where I knew the lock-up would occur, but everything ran fine.

Happy with the outcome I plugged the game port and joystick back into the Audigy card. Rebooted the computer and loaded up the same game. Within about 5 seconds on playing, BANG!!, BSOD with all the squeals as before.

Damn!! I thought. Then I realised that the last thing I had done was to plug in the joystick. I then removed the joystick, rebooted the computer, ran the game. Low and behold, no BSOD!!

To test my theory I put the card back into PCI socket 2 and tested as I did before. As you could guess I got the same outcome. Joystick connected = BSOD, no joystick = no problem.

I then did further checks and found that my joystick, a Gravis xTerminator Dual-Control running xPerience v4.5 software, has install it's own game port along with the Creative game-port. I guess that the Creative's hardware game port was conflicting with Gravis's software game port.

In the end, after much testing and tweaking, I found that the Gravis xPerience software had some major problems with XP and the Audigy 2 sound card.

So I'm going to retire that stick to the annuals of history and get an... *** urgh ***... Micro$oft Sidewinder. Not my first choice in joysticks, but it should be compatible with XP, since both are made by the same company.

Moral of the story... Daemon Tools was NOT at fault after all. :mrgreen:

Comment

My favorite stick/gamepad:

The Adaptoid is expensive, but it's the best money can buy for emulation.

Comment

Re: Would Daemon-Tools be involved here?

Originally Posted by Ripperjack

CPU = Pentium 4 3.0ghz / 800 512k cache Socket478 NorthWood CORE
                MOBO = Intel B875PBZ i875 chipset
                RAM = Two Kingston 512Mb PC3500 HyperX DDR Ram in dual channel mode
                CD-ROM = CD-ROM IDE 52x SONY 5231s OEM
                AUDIO = SoundBlaster AUDIGY 2 Retail box 24bit, 106db SNR, 6.1 Surround sound, THX
                HDD = Seagate Barracuda V 120GB 7200rpm Serial ATA150 HDD - 8MB Cache
                LUCKY BASS. JK. COngrats.

:shock:

Comment

Working...
                X