Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual directory or VHD (CD-RW or DVD-R/W)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual directory or VHD (CD-RW or DVD-R/W)

Well, I have read a few threads going back and forth about making basically a virtual CD-RW / DVD-RW, and always I see people asking to justify it. I'll give a couple of reasons why I need it.

Being a network engineer, I have hundreds of directories in various areas of my HD. Several of them go multiple layers in depth. I try to keep certain directories in an image file because I need them under Virtual Server. Often I update different areas of these directories with different files, sometimes using synchronization software to maintain them. In order for me to access these files under a Virtual Server session (or Virtual PC), I need to mount an image file as a CD drive. Keeping various areas updated to use them in a virtual environment is tedious as best. I can remove the files (or start new) from a previous image and re-add them and then save it, but then I have to select what I need and wait while the image is saved. It would be a whole lot easier to maintain a directory and have the entire contents available virtually. I tried mapping in Disk Management on an NTFS directory, but it isn't what it appears to be (or doesn't create a virtual CD-RW).

Also, I create and manage Bart's UBCD's and SuperWin PE DVD disks for our office. Often I am adding or changing various items within them. Then boot under a virtual environment to test them before releasing them. Other then the original, I maintain all changes offline so I can make changes to it and then simply copy the changed menus and such over to the image. It would save a tremendous amount of time and effort again to be able to mount a virtual CD - DVD with file / dir modification (RW) abilities to make images that you can modify on the fly.

I also don't know if you can do this, but the ability to mount a VHD (virtual HD) with DAEMON would be cool also. It seems that only WinImage has the capability of extracting files from VHD's. In researching, it looks like Microsoft won't allow anyone but the WinImage folks to create anything that has to do with VHD's. Wouldnt it be nice if we could also use VHD's as an image file that can be modified on the fly?

On a personal note, is there a way to "span" or connect virtual images or CD's? Sometimes in multi-CD games, you have to switch CD images. Is is possible to "span" images to a single drive (probably not because of duplicate file names, etc.). But I had to ask.

I have looked all over the internet and underground as well. It seems that a number of people are looking for things like this and I'm not the only one (nice to know that I'm not nutz or alone ), so maybe you could consider the addition of these features for future versions of DAEMON Tools.

Thx,
    UCG

Originally Posted by UnderCoverGuy
    I also don't know if you can do this, but the ability to mount a VHD (virtual HD) with DAEMON would be cool also. It seems that only WinImage has the capability of extracting files from VHD's. In researching, it looks like Microsoft won't allow anyone but the WinImage folks to create anything that has to do with VHD's. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could also use VHD's as an image file that can be modified on the fly?
    Microsoft will license the VHD specification to people or organizations other than WinImage, but for details on the license agreement (other than it's royalty-free) you have to request the license via an email address. See:

Also, there exists some source code (GPL, though) to do this for VMWare virtal disks:

Anyway, this kind of thing would certainly be technically possible for the DT team. However, I'd be surprised if it's something they feel a desire to do. Virtual hard disks are really a rather different animal than emulating CD/DVD drives, even if from one point of view they just mount a file system to a drive letter.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The article that I read talked about someone who worked on WinImage development had worked with Microsoft developing the virtual environment and that is how they received authorization to work with VHD's.

Also, any thoughts about virtual CD-RW's (modifiable on-the-fly directories mapped as CD drives)?

Thanks,
      UCG

Comment

If you Google search for "virtual cd-rw", the first link should take you to a program that works as a virtual burner.

Comment

Sounds neat, I'll try downloading it also.
          the modern world:
          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
          X