Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD-RW drive can't read any disks

Hello.

I installed daemon tools 3.47 recently, and mounted an image on 1 virtual drive. Upon system re-boot, I discovered that my dvd-rw drive cannot read any disks. I am using WindowsXP with SP2. At one point, I had roxio on my system, but I deleted it and all of it's registry keys. Windows can see my dvd-rw drive, but it thinks it's a cd drive. Could someone help me resolve this issue?

Thanks.

What happens when you uninstall 3.47?

P.S. DAEMON Tools 4 is the latest version of DAEMON Tools.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Uninstalled daemon, didn't help. I didn't download version 4 because it has adware in it (I know you can choose not to install the adware), but I'm kinda leery of anything that has adware in it period.

Comment

Common Problems and Solutions

Did you use the normal uninstall process to remove roxio? What burning software do you still have installed (or once had installed) on your computer?

See the topic "No drive letter(s) assigned to the virtual drive(s), or virtual drive(s) disappear" in the Common Problems and Solutions forum to determine the steps for listing the CD drivers in use on your system and reply with a listing .
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Yes, I removed roxio normally. Here are the drivers for the virtual drive and the drive that is not working:

Virtual drive:
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\storprop.dll

DVD-RW drive:
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\storprop.dll

Comment

Okay, I was hoping to see some suspect driver listed. I'm out of ideas.

So you're saying that anything other than a CD can't be read. Store bought DVD video, home burned DVD disc with files, home burned DVD-Video-- all those cause errors when you insert the discs and try and use or play them? What about installing burning software besides roxio (ex. Nero), maybe windows can't recognize DVD discs but some burning software can (oh yea- I'm just guessing here, I'm not really sure if that will work).
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

No, nothing can be read. No cd's, no dvd's. I'm at a loss for what to do, I've tried everything.

Comment

try going into device manager & deletingyour dvd drive ,then re-booting & letting winxp re-detect your dvd drive...

Comment

Try your DVD drive on another system. That will let you determine if you're having hardware or software problems. Also deleting upper or lower filter drivers by hand can break things if you don't know what you're doing.
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Uninstalling my drive and re-booting and letting windows redetect it seemed to make it work again. I'm a little nervous about burning something on it but I'll have to see. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X