PDA

View Full Version : SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

daq
25.01.2006, 20:24
First of all, i did read the thread about sptd and remove DT. I had that problem, removed DT 4 and computer booted ok. But is there any way to fix it, or I can't use DT anymore? Any attempt to restore the sys file leads to a non-bootable machine. DT worked just fine before, this error happened out of nowhere after I was using DT 4 for about a month or two. Moreover, i downgraded to 3.47 and now computer fails to boot because of dt347bus.sys, so i had to remove that version too. Is there any fix to this or is DT just not going to work on my machine anymore. And why was it working before?

Thank you!

Underheaven
26.01.2006, 02:12
If your machine doesn't boot with SPTD in place please give the full and exact error or message you see. Enable the saving of minidumps to the Windows\Minidump folder (hopefully its already enabled) and then contact us so we can receive such file.

What OS and Service Pack do you use? Antivirus software? A list of all your burning programs, etc....

joshery420
26.01.2006, 06:59
Yeah, I was having the same problem with SPTD.sys. I also had it with vax347b.sys (It's part of Alcohol 120%) so I'm pretty much screwed out of emulation at the moment. I know how to fix the problem when my comp won't boot, but can we even use it at all now? I'm running Windows XP Home (so not x64) with SP 2. I'm using AVG Free antivirus and Nero 7 Ultimate for burning. I've tried Daemon 3.47, 4.0.0, and 4.0.3, and also Alcohol 120% 1.9.5.3105 but they all prevent my comp from booting past the Windows XP splash screen. I've looked everywhere, but daemon only tells me how to get my comp to boot again. But what now? I'm without an emulator and LAN's are fine with alcohol... as long as I don't try to reboot. Then I have to rename the file, then rename it again. Daemon won't work at all though. Underheaven, whatever help you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks lots. Oh, and I'll check the minidump folder.

daq
26.01.2006, 08:24
There is no error message just hangs after Windows loading screen goes away. When reboot in safe mode, allows to ESC out of loading most recently added driver.

System:
WinXP SP2 nLited
Nero 6.6.0.18
Symantec Corp Antivirus 10

The worst part is that nothing changed as far as i can remember, it just started for no reason after one of many reboots. No new soft installed, didnt upgrade DT, nothing, it was working, and now even the old version doesn't work.

daq
27.01.2006, 01:15
Yeah, I was having the same problem with SPTD.sys. I also had it with vax347b.sys (It's part of Alcohol 120%) so I'm pretty much screwed out of emulation at the moment. I know how to fix the problem when my comp won't boot, but can we even use it at all now? I'm running Windows XP Home (so not x64) with SP 2. I'm using AVG Free antivirus and Nero 7 Ultimate for burning. I've tried Daemon 3.47, 4.0.0, and 4.0.3, and also Alcohol 120% 1.9.5.3105 but they all prevent my comp from booting past the Windows XP splash screen. I've looked everywhere, but daemon only tells me how to get my comp to boot again. But what now? I'm without an emulator and LAN's are fine with alcohol... as long as I don't try to reboot. Then I have to rename the file, then rename it again. Daemon won't work at all though. Underheaven, whatever help you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks lots. Oh, and I'll check the minidump folder.
How did this start for you? Same as me, out of nowhere? Or did you upgrade daemon-tools and than it started? Did you install something? I installed a few games before I restarted:
Cold Fear, already uninstalled.
AOE3
Sniper Elite
Warld War -- Tactical COmbat

Do you have any of those too?

joshery420
27.01.2006, 01:30
I have the exact same problems. Except that Alcohol 120% worked for about 2 weeks, then messed up. Daemon however just suddenly stopped working one day and it hasn't worked since. I've tried upgrading/downgrading the versions, but the same thing. If someone knows how to disable the windows Kernel Debugger, that would help. That is what it says when you install Daemon. Something like "Warning! SPTD is a scsi bus driver that is not compatible with kernel debuggers." or something to that extent. First off, why the hell do we even NEED a scsi bus driver? If someone knows how to disable the Kernel Debugger, that would certainly be a lot of help.

daq
28.01.2006, 02:33
Well, u need a SCSI driver to create drives without restarting, and you probably don't have any kernel debugger installed, so I don't think that's the problem. Cmon guys, i'm sure there is more than two people having this problem if it's a sticky in common section.

I can't play any of my games without DT, please somebody, help!
I'll love you forever!!!

daq
28.01.2006, 04:58
I noticed two more things. First of all, there's no error message, like I said before, it seems the driver goes into an infinite loop. It does this right after the windows loading screen dissapears (the one with the bar running from left to right.) Another thing is, it tries to access my real dvd-drive right before. I don't know if this helps, but I would be forever grateful to a person who could suggest the solution, fix the driver, or at least tell me why it started happening out of nowhere!

Thank You!!!

joshery420
28.01.2006, 08:12
I hadn't done ANYTHING... wait, yes I did. I installed a new skin for Firefox and King Kong. Both are gone, but the problem persists. I'm pretty much screwed out of Emulation b/c of this damn problem. And because XP can't get past the splash screen when it boots with sptd.sys installed, it won't make a minidump like they want. So I've got nothing to go on. Anything change with you daq?

Copytrooper
28.01.2006, 11:45
Which Daemon Tools version do you use? King Kong is protected by Starforce, probably the prosync1.sys driver is causing the problem, Daemon Tools v4.03 contains a workaround for problems with Starforce drivers.
So remove prosync1.sys (if still present) - you can also try the Starforce removal tool mentioned in thread about BSOD in SCSIPORT.SYS in common problems and solutions forum.

daq
28.01.2006, 19:03
I've tried the starforce removal utility, it found nothing as I expected, i watch my system very carefully for malware like that. Other than that, still no change, I'm also screwed out of emulation! I just had to find no-cd cracks for the games I really want to play, others are waiting for a fix.

It's really strange though that there are no workarounds, I'm sure there's more people that are having this problem, DT is probably on every other computer on this planet.

switch
28.01.2006, 19:48
I have the EXACT same problem. The system 'hangs' on startup. Can only be booted in safe mode by pressing ESC to avoid loading the SPTD driver. There is absolutely NO ERROR whatsoever. Same happens with the 3.47 driver or the alcohol 120 driver. This only happened AFTER installing 4.03 and using it for a while.

First occurence was when I tried to reinstall my copy of Indigo Prophecy from my 100% accurate backup images. The install would just hang after the second cd was mounted and at the next reboot the sptd problem would arise.

Second occurence happened apparently 'out of the blue' while I installed a nVidia driver. Wierd thing is that I installed a driver that I KNOW WORKED before on my system while I still had 3.47. It's the most stable driver version for my card (geforce 6600 from AOpen).

I've had a thread about this a few days ago, nobody seem to care. Seems like more and more people are having the same problems. Might be a problem with DT 4.x after all...

joshery420
28.01.2006, 22:42
Thnx for the help copytrooper, but prosync1.sys isn't there. King Kong and everything with it is gone now. If people haven't understood this already, this problem appears to be happening with daemon 3.47, 4.00, and 4.03. ALL of them. Not just 4.xx versions. That is why it's so confusing. I can't find anything that would cause this problem out of the blue. I'll try to remove starforce drivers like you said, then I'll get back to u guys.

switch
29.01.2006, 01:12
I for one DO NOT have and never DID have StarForce on my system, yet I still encountered these problems just like everyone else posting here... :(

d3ejmz
29.01.2006, 23:03
I have the exact same problems. Except that Alcohol 120% worked for about 2 weeks, then messed up. Daemon however just suddenly stopped working one day and it hasn't worked since. I've tried upgrading/downgrading the versions, but the same thing. If someone knows how to disable the windows Kernel Debugger, that would help. That is what it says when you install Daemon. Something like "Warning! SPTD is a scsi bus driver that is not compatible with kernel debuggers." or something to that extent. First off, why the hell do we even NEED a scsi bus driver? If someone knows how to disable the Kernel Debugger, that would certainly be a lot of help.

What I did when I had a "turn off kernel debugger" message was open My Computer Properties, click the advanced tab, click the startup and recovery setting button, and change the option for system core dump to [none]. Then I rebooted and Voila! :)

daq
30.01.2006, 09:56
Since i'm completely empty of ideas, i tried setting core dump to none. Then I rebooted and Voila! Nothing happened, computer still froze.

But now i know there's a bunch of people having same issue. If this thread gets big enough it'll be noticed, there has to be a workaround, we just need to find it.

joshery420
30.01.2006, 23:23
I had the same outcome as daq. I tried the setting the mem dump to none, but all it did was... actually, it didn't do anything at all. I'm still waiting for DT to hopefully take more notice of this continuing problem. If we get lucky, then maybe they'll make it a top priority.

joshery420
30.01.2006, 23:32
ok, I think that I found the problem. It was in another forum by posted by VeNoM386. It talks about how to completely remove DT from your system. It's here at http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t6992-how-to-remove-daemon-tools-v4.html
anyway, to make it short and sweet, go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers and delete "sptd.sys" and "dtscsi.sys" THis should fix the problem. At least it did for me. Well see if it stays fixed or if it's just a temp fix. good luck guys and I'll keep watching the posts!

joshery420
30.01.2006, 23:42
False alarm... It didn't detect the scsi port driver and it froze when I tried to restart. Damnit... thought that I had it...

daq
31.01.2006, 02:29
I found this while searching for sptd.sys on google:

Have you ever gotten a "System File Error" when installing Daemon Tools. This is how i got mine fixed.
It has to do with the SPTD drivers or files or whatever the hell it is.

1. run a search on "SPTD" (without quotes)
2. delete the found files but leave it in the recycle bin just in case. i found 3 files (2 .sys files and 1 .pf file)and deleted them. might be different for you. as long as u find 2 .sys files, delete them (sptd.sys and sptdxxxx.sys [xxxx being a number])
3. Then restart your pc. that error about daemon tools not initializing will pop up but if it doesn't all the better.
4. run daemon tools installation file. It will then install the SPTD thing again and then restart the pc.
5. the installation will then continue after reboot saying daemon tools is already installed and ask if u want to repair/reinstall or unintall. Select Uninstall and click ok.
5. it will then say a device can't be removed. i think it's the virtual cd-rom drive it created. just select ignore every single time. if it doesn't appear all the better. if it gives an error about a device can't be removed, restart your pc else go straight to step6.
6. Run the installation file again and it should install nicely without errors.

Do at your own risk. One way to remove this problem is to do a clean install of windows. since i was already going to do so i just tried out what was mentioned above and discovered it worked. so don't blame me if your pc get more messed up. but if you're like me and don't give a horses Bordar (Bordar is a kweyol word for you can guess what) then give it a try. I did this twice and it worked both times.

Death Scythe

It sounds too simple, but it worked for me. Thanks Death Scythe :-)

Pizr
31.01.2006, 13:26
I tried your workaround daq, as i have the same isue with the install.
But at step 4, you restarted your pc after the second installation, this time you don't delete any files, with out deleting those files, i just can't reboot, cause my pc stops loading windows at the bootscreen of winXP! :confused:

Tim Raats
31.01.2006, 16:13
I have the exact same problem as all of you guys.
Strange thing is that the problem only occurs on my new pc. A few weeks ago I bought a new computer and while I have been using Daemon Tools without any problems on my old pc for quite some time, I instantly got this problem on my new one.
Now, the big difference between the two computers is that my new one has got a RAID-controller. I have no idea wether this could be part of the problem but i found it remarkable that i never had any problems with my old pc while I certainly do with my new one. For all I know you guys already know that RAID-controllers are the problem, if so, ignore this post :).

daq
01.02.2006, 01:19
I tried your workaround daq, as i have the same isue with the install.
But at step 4, you restarted your pc after the second installation, this time you don't delete any files, with out deleting those files, i just can't reboot, cause my pc stops loading windows at the bootscreen of winXP! :confused:

I didn't think it would work either, because it's basically just replacing those files with the same files, but it did. Just make sure you uninstall DT after you remove those files.

Endorphin
02.02.2006, 10:58
Same problem. SPTD installs normally, then reboot, then DT also installs, but after the second reboot - BSOD. And then only deleting of sptd.sys helps.
Funny thing - Windows (XP, sp2) is just installed.
List of installed programs:
Outpost Firewall, NOD32 antivirus, TrafficCompressor, Opera 8.5, K-Lite codec pack, qip, RegOrganizer, TotalCommander.
And drivers - Catalyst 5.13, SoundMaker Value 5.1, Thrustmaster ForceFeedback driver.
That's all.

Copytrooper
02.02.2006, 14:26
Do you have a minidump (in Windows\Minidump folder) related to that BSOD? Send newest file to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to your post in this thread.

Endorphin
06.02.2006, 11:36
I've sent you my minidump-log, please, check the mail :)

poogemister
06.02.2006, 17:22
Hello, I have this problem with Windows not getting past the load screen. I cant start my computer and i dont know how to get it working so it will start up. It sounds like some of you have goten past the start problem, so can any of you offer any advice on how to get the computer at least started up? I have tried all of the modes of starting up. (safe, safe w/network, command prompt, last good, normally) Please help, I cant get my computer started at all.
Thank you

Copytrooper
06.02.2006, 19:25
Did you press ESC when prompted to abort loading of sptd.sys during boot into safe mode?
If so, and it still hangs, boot with your Windows cd into recovery console, log on to your Windows installation (requires administrator password), change dir (cd) to Windows\System32\Drivers folder, rename sptd.sys, and reboot.

Tackzx
08.02.2006, 17:25
Windows and everything works fine. No problems there at all. The only thing that doesn't work, is DT. I have used DT for years now, and it suddenly stopped working when I reinstalled windows. I have all the same programs that I had before I reinstalled windows, but for some reason It won't work. It's the kernel debugger error thing. I have tried all the ways people tell me to fix it, but nothing works. I even tried reinstalling windows a second time, but that didn't work either... Any other new suggestions???

Endorphin
09.02.2006, 10:47
This is not a complete solution of the problem, but you can try to disable all virtual drives before turning off or rebooting computer. It helps me to avoid minidump.

Copytrooper
09.02.2006, 10:53
This is not a complete solution of the problem, but you can try to disable all virtual drives before turning off or rebooting computer. It helps me to avoid minidump.
Can you send the minidump related to that BSOD to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to your post in this thread?

Endorphin
11.02.2006, 04:38
Can you send the minidump related to that BSOD to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to your post in this thread?

Already sent (from adress "adskaya@pochta.ru"). Didn't you recieved it? :confused:

Copytrooper
11.02.2006, 11:31
No, please re-send unpacked.

Quaterman
12.02.2006, 12:16
I tough the same problem but i think i has yet the reason. I make following steps to install DT:
-Ensure that you deinstall all old DT files (spid and so on)
-Install only the SCSI driver with the sptdinst_x86.exe manually
-Reboot
-Install DT ( accept the installation for the sptd driver)
-Before you now reboot the system go to run, enter "msconfig" go to "system" and deactivate the checkbox deamon, go to "services" in the msconfig and deactivate the checkbox at the machine debugger. Than you can restart.

I hope this can help you

Endorphin
13.02.2006, 04:39
No, please re-send unpacked.

Done

I hope this can help you

Mmm... I'll try.

safehex
13.02.2006, 19:18
Can't boot here also. Hangs just before the Desktop should appear.

XP Pro SP2
Daemon 4.03
AVG Antivirus 7.
Kerio 4.2.3

It ran fine for a while without any problems but suddenly started to act up and I don't know why. I didn't install anything new.

This is what works for me.

I had it set up to automatically go to my Username , no login screen. I changed it so that it prompts you for the user.

I booted up in Safe Mode, in a cmd prompt I entered "control userpasswords2" and entered. I checked the box for "Users must enter a Username and Password, etc."

Perhaps it's just a coincidence but so far so good. YMMV

Gh3tto
14.02.2006, 02:22
Search your computer for sptd.sys and delete that sucker. Fixed me right up!!!! Mine was in C:\windows\system32\drivers

Good luck!!!!

cyburn
14.02.2006, 11:29
yeah but now without sptd.sys you cant run dt anymore, can you?

Copytrooper
14.02.2006, 12:38
No, you can't.

xzaz
15.02.2006, 21:27
I have the same problem, it keeps rebooting and says a error for about 0.2 seconds. What the error is i cant say. Windows will not boot in safe mode and stops with loading: vax347b.sys. If i press esc the same thing will hapen. All i can see its a smaler massage.

The next thing is that i cant get to my HD i have a ATA and the Windows CD-Rom cannot access my HD (maxtor 6L160M0). If anyone has suggestions tnx for that.

I had nothing changed it was just a normal boot up.

mootube
15.02.2006, 22:45
How mine messed up differs a bit to most others here. I got the same effect (rebooting) by installing an old Alcohol version without DT being involved.
When I did this, Windows wanted to install RAID drivers, instead of finding my mainboard disk, I let windows install it's own drivers. This had the same constant serious error/rebooting effect until I removed the RAID drivers from safe mode. I then turned to DT and it didn't continue installing after the reboot. I've now got it to the point of giving disable Kernel debugger errors, DT is in my start menu but obviously isn't properly installed because it reboots when started.

I can only be a bit vague in my description here, sorry but it may be relevant about the RAID driver effects being the same as SPTD.

Niqo
18.02.2006, 04:14
For starters, my problem exactly matches the original problem explained in this thread, and this thread was the first one I found that did.

To recap, the problem is that the computer will hang on boot (not crash, if it ever where that simple) when the spdt driver is loaded.

--- DISCLAIMER ---
TRYING TO DO ANYTHING EXPLAINED IN THIS POST MAY LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER IN A REALLY BAD STATE, AND YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RECOVER FROM THIS WITHOUT REINSTALLING WINDOWS (DELETING EVERYTHING ON YOUR HARDDISK)
--- END OF DISCLAIMER ---

First off, there is some kernel boot options that is helpfull when debugging this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833721

There is the /numproc option, which tells the kernel how many cpus to use. And there is the /noguiboot option, which allows you to see what drivers are loaded (and possibly abort loading of them).

What I have found is that if I use the /numproc option to set my system to single cpu (AMD X2), the spdt driver will load just fine every time.

When I boot into multiproc kernel, the driver will fail about 75% of the time. The computer will then enter a tight loop on one of the cores, since loading of windows apparently continues on the other core for a short while, since there is hd activity.

If I cancel the loading of the spdt driver, my computer will always boot correctly, no matter what.

The 75% may just be because of the cpu speed of my dual core, and/or driver load order. Others may experience this as a complete lockup or 25% failure rate, depending on how easily this soft hang is triggered on their system.

I've also seen reports that unmounting the images from the drives helps, but I can't confirm or reject this right now.

Another thing that I should mention is that there is no possibility of sending you a memory dump, since this bug eventyally deadlocks the kernel. Which the kernel won't react to, since no error has occured.

If you know the procedure to get this memory dump through enabling debugging and grabbing or saving a dump through serial ports, I'll run down to the hardware shack and buy a cable!

Hope this helps,
Kenneth

graastein
18.02.2006, 10:14
System will not boot with SPTD.SYS installed. (neither with v4.0 nor v4.03 of DT)

Asus P4C800E Dlx (i875)
WDC 74GB Raptor (S-ATA)
WinXP Pro Corp SP2 with all current updates (18.02.06)
No anti-virus installed
No SF-files or games installed
Nero of some sort (6.3xx to 7.0) have been installed from time to time
"Easy CD Creator" never installed (as you've asked for knowing)

We have come to rely on Daemon Tools and many of us don't know how to game without. Please prioritize :)

Edit: I have now recently formatted and reinstalled XP, and DT4 finally installed :)

Zhombe
18.02.2006, 16:52
I too suffer from the sptd.sys won't boot, hangs before login screen death. I have narrowed it down to 1 of 3 things. Either:
1. CureROM frelled it up when it changed all the permissions and hid daemon tools
2. Star Wars Empire at War silently installed a I HATE DAEMON TOOLS mod that silently frells up your computer from the back door
3. The latest 5 pack of microsoft updates delivered a new change that has irreperably broken sptd.sys for the moment.

Those are the only 3 things that have changed on my system.

I safe mode booted hitting escape to not load sptd.sys and removed the driver. I then rebooted, changed permissions on all sptd related registry entries and deleted them. I'm going to try a cold reinstall of daemon tools etc after I'm sure all references to it are removed and see what happens. I'm pretty sure though that something installed recently frelled everything up.

The people saying (I didn't change anything ) probably didn't include or care that they'd installed all of Microsoft's frelling updates.

dreamfusion
19.02.2006, 01:27
I too suffer from the sptd.sys won't boot, hangs before login screen death. I have narrowed it down to 1 of 3 things. Either:
1. CureROM frelled it up when it changed all the permissions and hid daemon tools
2. Star Wars Empire at War silently installed a I HATE DAEMON TOOLS mod that silently frells up your computer from the back door
3. The latest 5 pack of microsoft updates delivered a new change that has irreperably broken sptd.sys for the moment.

Those are the only 3 things that have changed on my system.

I safe mode booted hitting escape to not load sptd.sys and removed the driver. I then rebooted, changed permissions on all sptd related registry entries and deleted them. I'm going to try a cold reinstall of daemon tools etc after I'm sure all references to it are removed and see what happens. I'm pretty sure though that something installed recently frelled everything up.

The people saying (I didn't change anything ) probably didn't include or care that they'd installed all of Microsoft's frelling updates.

I've experiened the same issue as well.

1. I installed Star Wars Empire at war.
2. Installed Curerom 1.30b

Never could get Empire at War to work. Seems that the new version of secure rom is very malicous. I cant say for sure if it was curerom that hosed it or the game itself. Maybe both..

It caused Alcohol 120% to quit working and I cannot get Daemon Tools to work period.

My system hangs after the splash screen , unless I delete the daemon tools driver files.

Looks like I'll be reloading this weekend. :mad:

olegbi_q2
19.02.2006, 08:37
My system is suffering from the same problems.

I think MS updates can be ruled out, I have rebooted multiple times since the last update.
I don't think the game (tried playing it) would do something that sneaky, too much liability.

Last thing I did was install CureROM 1.3. The Star Wars game started to work with it, till first system crash. Now sptd.sys freezes the system.

SmileyMan
20.02.2006, 02:34
Does this bug/error only affect people with dual processor technology? I sure don't hope I will get it..

sYk0
20.02.2006, 15:51
Get CureROM 1.3.1 here (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?t=9783&highlight=curerom)...

nkvd
21.02.2006, 16:05
Hello every one.

Well never had a problem with DT since it was installed on my system well over a month ago. Think I've only used it once or twice.

Woke up to hear it rebooting its self. Don't know for how long it did that.

Booted up with an PE disk and reenamed sptd.sys .

System came back.

Nothing new has been installed and no new games
windows updated some time last week after many reboots.

so ...?

norc
22.02.2006, 14:59
Well I already posted in another thread about my problem and tought I would add something here aswell.

My problem is also hang just before login screen apears. And the wierd thing is it does not hang always. As far as I know a combination of thing causes this. Either spdt or dtscsi.sys, RAID (namely nvraid) and probably something else. I managed to fix it a few times but it would come back after a while. What had an effect was drives connected to PATA ports, sptd loaded, dtscsi loaded (or when it was loaded),... I don't remember all of it.
I've been at this for a while so I can tell you what doesn't work. This i what I tried so far:

1. BIOS update
2. HD firmware update
3. all the posible driver versions you can think of
4. changing the order of driver loading (this had some nice effects :) ). It actually worked for a while when I set the dtscsi to start after login but unfortunately you can't set sptd to start later than SERVICE_BOOT_START and DON'T TRY IT. It's not good for your registry :)
5. CMOS clear (nvidia suggestion after BIOS update)
6. disconnected every drive except the system RAID 0 array
7. removed StarForce drivers

I can't remebmer what I tried last but I got it as far as having all drives connected and now every time I turn on my computer after it has been off for a while it hangs on first boot, then after a quick power off and reastart it boots.

What I haven't tried:
1. Moving the system to a non RAID drive.
2. disabling NCQ in the system since my drives don't support it.
3. kicking the crap out of the box!

Good luck to you all!

System specification:

Giga-byte K8NF-9 Ultra (nForce 4 Ultra)
AMD nForce drivers 6.70
AMD 64 3500+
2x SATA WD2500KS in SATA RAID 0 (system)
2x PATA WD1200JB in PATA RAID 0
CD drive, DVD-RW drive
no Antivirus or Spyware
Clean WinXP Pro SP2 fully updated!

Pixodus
24.02.2006, 15:59
when i got the game Starwars: empire at war
it didn't work because of starforce.
my friend got it up and running after a while and he told me to get the newest DT (DT4 i think...)
when i was downloading it i thought i should uninstall the old DT. but when i did i got my first bluescreen EVER! (in win xp i meen).
i have an original XP home with all updates.
when i started the comp again DT was still there but i couldn't use it. i tried to install/upgrade to DT4 but i got bluescreen again.
so i installed the old DT 3.20.
then i upgraded to DT4 nad when the installation was complete it wanted to reboot the comp, so i did.
when the comp started again the installation got an error (i can't remember the error...sorry) and the installation aborted.
i think DT is gone from my comp, but i can't install the new DT4...
i get the question if i want to install SPTD and i click ok, and i get an error "Failed to open config key"
and i get the same error when trying to install the SPTD file...

i have:
alcohol 120%
winoncd
clone DVD
MCAFFE virusscan and firewall
alot of games :P (newest games: SW:empire at war, sniper elite, GUN...

PLEASE help, i can't go on without DAEMON-tools!!!!

BigBrownChunx
25.02.2006, 06:02
Hey everyone,

I've had this annoying problem too of not being able to get into windows blah blah blah. I got a little further than most though:

When I got into safe mode (pressing ESC when loading SPDT.sys), instead of deleting/renaming SPDT.sys, I deleted dtscsi.sys (mine was actually named 1dtsci.sys to get past Serious Sam 2/SecurRom 7 protection)
Restarted computer - worked fine (except it took forever to load up in comparasion to not having SPDT.sys/dtscsi.sys loading)

Reinstalled Daemon-Tools, restarted. Worked fine.

Now my problem is I start up Daemon Tools and Windows tells me that "The 'scsi/raid host controller' device can now be safely removed from the system." and Daemon Tools complains "Unable to add adapter. Device problem 39."

Could windows be blocking daemon tools from working?
Does the above help anyone else out, or are they stuck with the same problem as me?

murx
26.02.2006, 06:29
at least for my system.

System worked fine - with everything including CureRom and SW:EaW and any Starforce and other thing.

Change done: Updated Firmware of LG 4040B DVDburner (from A103 to A112)

Systemreboot - hang on sptd.sys

Tried a lot of stuff proposed here, including nforce nativethingie disabling (from other thread) - nothing helped.

murx

joshx0rfz
26.02.2006, 18:00
I have been having the same boot problems that other people have (hanging permanently) described except that escaping out of the loading of sptd.sys doesn't seem to help. I've looked around in the forums for other solutions and tried any number of things but it keeps coming back to this.

Had alcohol
I upgraded to DT 4.0 and installed CureRom
Kaspersky anti-virus

The really odd thing is that I went to reformat and reinstall windows but my harddrive doesn't even show up in the list. I have checked connections and such and verified that it is still there and no little computer gnome has run off with it. Any assistance would be appreciated as I am clueless at this point.
Thanks.
-Josh

thefloh
02.03.2006, 10:42
I had the exact same problem black screen of death at windows boot.
Iam resonably sure that CureRom was the guilty party.
I was able to fix the thing by loading a system restore point from before i installed CureRom about 2 weeks ago. I think it somehow did not undo the things it did after using it.
A similar problem occured for me way back with 3.47 and antiblaxx. Unfortunately i had system restore disabled back then and i had to reinstall windows to get DT working again.

PS: I was unable to deinstall DT both times because of an "The installation could not be validated" error. Maybe if this check would be removed and the uninstaller would just uninstall away everything he finds the problem could be removed as well.

deoxx
02.03.2006, 14:17
it think you must install deamon tolls inn order like you got DT 3.20 you must install 3.47 first then 4.00 and 4.03

it's like battefield 2 (but in DT you don't need to install the first patch)

dbpvr
02.03.2006, 22:34
well I had problems after repair install of xp pro

I figured out what was wrong.apparently if SPTD.SYS is still in system32/drivers folder you get the error "failed to oped config key" (Repair install will remove that key by default because it will think its a tape backup driver and fail to install it) now if the SPTD installer would just ovewright the SPTD.SYS by default then it would work fine anyways if you get "failed to oped config key" (spelling bug too) then rename SPTD.SYS(SPTD.S_S) reboot and try installing again and it should install fine

FuSL
03.03.2006, 15:33
hmn, maybe I can add something:

just had a clean format and reinstall of XP pro a few days ago (with SP2), and installed alcohol (1.9.5 3105) and dameon tools 4.03. Then after one or two resboots (not installing anything "big", only stuff like firefox etc, no games or alike) I had the very problem you've all been describing, but in safe mode cancelled loading of Vax347b.sys, which seems to be some Alcohol thing like the SPTD, and then disabled it in my device manager where it was called "Plug and Play BIOS extension". Alcohol emulation now doesn't work anymore, fortunately daemon tools still does. But it was the exact same kind of problem with not getting past the xp loading screen and stuff.

maybe this can somehow help..

reh
04.03.2006, 05:15
search function had this thread first, but it looks like there are some more. hopefully this is the right one.
some more facts, i hope some useful.
i was using newest daemon v3 version. it worked good for me, i dont need to emulate this protections things. so i was happy with it. until, im using daemon tools on a notebook and tried to go stand-by as alway. windows freezed, after 10 minutes while windows told me "going stand-by" i pressed to power off button. restart, windows freezed while booting. reboot in safe mode, windows asked me to skip d347.sys. in the second try, i skipped it, cause if not skipped, system freezed. i renamed then this old .sys and windows booted normaly (do you ever noticed that it is impossible to deinstall daemon tools in safe mode? v3 tells me cant run windows installer in safe mode, version 4 tells me no daemon tools detected while in safe mode).
im quite sure what the problem is: i mounted .img from an external device and just unplugged the external hdd. daemon tools just think its there. if you accidently access the drive before unmounting, explorer.exe freezes and you have to unmount the device to continue normal working. this was normaly possible, but this one day, windows always wanted to access this image and freezed the daemon tools icon. but the external device isnt there, so it doesnt work.
ok, i didnt had any chance to unmount this file, because always i renamed the sys file to work again, the system freezed.
i updated to version 4 then (and hoped this thing wont happen again). but it was eben more evil :(. as always, i had mounted an img from an external device, forgot to unmount the img and unplugged the device. now with daemon tools v4, windows thought the drive is still in use, i got write/read errors. and had no chance to tell windows the drive isnt there anymore. daemon tools told me 20 mins "working" (with no result) if i tried to unmount the image. so i had no chance to unmount it again :(
i reboted then and the same problem, normal bot freezes, in safe boot i have to skip the sptd.sys to boot. rename all .sys files and windows boots normal again. but now i dont have any working daemon tools anymore.

so it would be helpfull if in future versions is any way to implement a function which tests if the image is still there if daemon tools tryes to access/mount it.
or add a small ini file in which you can manually edit the mounted images.

and please tell me where daemon tools (version 4 and 3 if possible, i really want to continue using v3) stores which images are in use/mounted. i didnt found something good in the registry.

if im writing stupid things which are already posted in the forum, please point me to the thread, or if daeom tools has some options to prevent this tries to access removed devices, tell me and slap me ;)

--reh--

0600Zulu
06.03.2006, 00:48
sptd.sys fix (hopefully)

After tinkering around with ideas in the forums and having no success, I just started messing around. After a (long) while, I figured out a way to fix the problem, and would like to see if it is successful for anyone else.

SPTD FIX:

http://www.kkaf.net/sptdfix.htm

That links to a short page I made with steps to address the problem.

Hope this works :)

dudemeister
06.03.2006, 23:32
The problem is Alcohol 120%

1. Start Windows in Safe Mode.
2. Search for vax347b.sys or go to Windows\System32\Drivers\vax347b.sys. There should be another file with vax347 in the name.
3. Delete the above files.
4. Restart windows and uninstall Alcohol 120, or just reinstall it.

Rulwok
07.03.2006, 16:23
Well , you have now one more guy who has problems with D4 : me ! I decided to finally upgrade my Daemon Tools yesterday so I downloaded the version 4.0.3 . But after the installation , when I reboot , my PC also hangs up before the Windows Xp loading screen ; I have a blue screen talking about sptd.sys . So I do know how to make my computer start again (by erasing the sptd files in safe mode) but now the problem is : my Daemon Tools doesn't work anymore and though I need it badly ! So if anyone could help us all it would be great , I need to use Daemon or Alcohol (which , by the way , doesn't work either : same sptd problem) .

sptd.sys fix (hopefully)

After tinkering around with ideas in the forums and having no success, I just started messing around. After a (long) while, I figured out a way to fix the problem, and would like to see if it is successful for anyone else.

SPTD FIX:

Hope this works

Actually I tried this , but unfortunately it didn't work :mad: My PC still bugs when I reboot and I'm unable to use it without deleting sptd files as well . So I can't use D-Tools . Please help us .:confused:

Copytrooper
08.03.2006, 12:24
Do you have minidump related to that BSOD (in Windows\Minidump folder)? If so send newest file to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to your post in this thread.

mootube
09.03.2006, 05:09
I couldn't get Alcohol or Daemon Tools working as I mentioned on p5. I managed to get Alcohol working but haven't tried DT yet.
Downloaded the latest Alcohol which gave an error (it also fixed the incomplete Alcohol installation). I looked the error up and was directed to the NVidia site with two downloads to change reg settings and the second download worked for me.
This was mentioned before in post #53.

Still no DT but I'll count my blessings.

joshery420
10.03.2006, 17:43
sptd.sys fix (hopefully)

SPTD FIX:

Hope this works :)
Well, 0600Zulu... I haven't rebooted yet, but without a reboot I got my Daemon Tools up and running. That's all I needed so that I'm good at the next LAN party! I don't know how much time you put into figuring this out, but I am very appreciative of your help. You're awesome!

doktor
11.03.2006, 12:08
I'm using Windows XP x64 and I'm experiencing the same problem with hanging up just before going to log in screen.

The strange thing is, that I tried to instal VD4. All was OK, no problems with using. After reboot computer hangs up with black screen. I choosed "last known good configuration" and system was back all right.

So I tried to install VD4 again, and immediately uninstall it. After reboot it worked fine. It continued loading all programs (NOD32 etc.) and then hang up again. But with no black screen. The cursor was not moving, only hdd led was blinking.

I also noticed, that the CPU fan rises to max rpm during the hanging up.

Maybe this will help...

Pestilence
11.03.2006, 13:52
I tried EVERYTHING now, no chance of getting it fixed for me yet. It's so damn annoying :mad:

0600Zulu
13.03.2006, 00:26
For everyone who was unable to get it working using this possible fix (http://www.kkaf.net/sptdfix.htm):

I've updated the page to now include:

Remove/rename dtscsi.sys. This seems to also contribute to the problem before attempting this fix.

If people who continued to have the problem did not remove/rename dtscsi.sys, retry the fix.

If you removed dtscsi.sys and the computer still hanged after rebooting, check to make sure DT worked before rebooting (step 6). If it did, make sure you unmount DT before rebooting. If this fixes the hang, just make sure you unmount before rebooting your computer anytime.

Thanks to Armin T. for bringing this up the dtscsi problem. During my fix I deleted dtscsi.sys, but wasn't sure if it was a contributing factor.

Hope this helps

floogy
13.03.2006, 19:58
For everyone who was unable to get it working using this possible fix (http://www.kkaf.net/sptdfix.htm):

I've updated the page to now include:

Remove/rename dtscsi.sys. This seems to also contribute to the problem before attempting this fix.

If people who continued to have the problem did not remove/rename dtscsi.sys, retry the fix.

If you removed dtscsi.sys and the computer still hanged after rebooting, check to make sure DT worked before rebooting (step 6). If it did, make sure you unmount DT before rebooting. If this fixes the hang, just make sure you unmount before rebooting your computer anytime.

Thanks to Armin T. for bringing this up the dtscsi problem. During my fix I deleted dtscsi.sys, but wasn't sure if it was a contributing factor.

Hope this helps

I may have found a fix for the sptd.sys problems associated with Daemon Tools.

Here are the revised steps to fix the problem (note: I went through a lot more
than this to get it to work. However I believe these are the only relevant steps
to solving the problem)

1. Completely remove Daemon Tools and sptd associations:
* Uninstall Daemon Tools (this includes renaming/removing dtscsi.sys)
* Delete sptd.sys and sptdxxxx.sys (xxxx=some number)
* Delete all registry entries associated with sptd (registry search)

2. Reboot, then install the latest version of Daemon Tools:
* Before rebooting the computer to complete the installation, rename scsiport.sys
to something else, just DON'T DELETE IT (I found that without scsiport.sys in its
proper place, the system doesn't hang on sptd.sys

3. When the computer starts back up and the installation completes Daemon Tools
should come up with an error saying something along the lines of 'virtual device
driver not found' and Daemon won't start

4. Open your device manager and verify that "SCSI/RAID Host Controller" has an error
(a little yellow '!'). If it does not, contact me (through forums or otherwise)

5. Correct the name of your scsiport.sys

6. Return to the device manager
* Disable "SCSI/RAID Host Controller"
* Re-enable "SCSI/RAID Host Controller"

7. Start Daemon Tools, it should function without error

8. Reboot to verify the computer doesn't hang

UPDATE: It seems there may be a problem with leaving images mounted in Daemon Tools.
As a temporary precaution, unmount all images in DT before shutting down/restarting
your computer. Thanks to Armin T. for bringing this and dtscsi to my attention

If these steps do not fix the problem, don't hesitate to leave a message on the forums or
contact me.

-Karl
0600Zulu

karl.hachmuth <at> gmail.com

Hi,

I got issues with daemontools 4.03 x64 , too.
Finally I managed it to work.
I didn't had STOP errors or BSOD's.
I simply wasn't able to reinstall/upgrade/repair a broken DT installation. An WinXP upgrade from eval to retail x64 edition was the cause of the messed install.

Please read here the related threads:
Unable to add adapter. Device problem 12.
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showpost.php?p=52214&postcount=161
SCSI/RAID Probleme mit DT 4.03 nach WinXP upgrade x64 eval -> x64 retail (Sorry German, but with a lot of related screenshots):
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t10235-scsiraid-probleme-mit-dt-403-nach-winxp-upgrade-x64-eval-gt-x64-retail.html

I managed it this way, slightly different to http://www.kkaf.net/sptdfix.htm:

Download SPDTinst(xARCH).exe from the download section (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5 )where ARCH is either 86 or 64, depends on your OS.

Completely remove Daemon Tools and sptd associations:

* Uninstall Daemon Tools
* Reboot into safe mode, press ESC when message sth. like "To interrupt load of SPDT.SYS Press ESC" appears.
* login as a user with root privilege
* Say YES to the popup message, to confirm that you want to work in safe mode.
* In Start > Run type cmd and press ok.
* with cd path_where_SPDTinst(xARCH).exe_is_stored change to that directory.
* Type SPDTinst(xARCH).exe remove and follow the instructions
* Reboot into safe mode again and type into start > run regedit. Search for all spdt.sys "Daemon Tools" and dtscsi.sys entries and delete all of them. You may not be able to delete all entries. If that happens delete as much of the affected tree as you can do. This may happen twice to spdt.
* Start (Win+E) Explorer and go to %systemroot%\system32\drivers . Find spdt.sys and rename it to spdt.s_s. Find also dtscsi.sys and rename it to dtscsi.s_s.

* Reboot into safe mode and install spdt.sys with SPDTinst(xARCH).exe add. Follow the instructions.

* Reboot into normal mode and install Daemontools (I changed the installpath from c:\Program Files (86)\Daemon Tools to c:\Program Files\Daemon Tools).
I think this is one of the most important part:
UNCHECK "Start Daemontools"!

* Reboot into SAFE mode, DON'T press ESC when SPDT.SYS message appears!
* Start Daemontools in safe mode manually:
Start > Programs > Daemon Tools > Daemon Tools
* The daemontools tray icon appears, and daemontools are running, without the popping "Found new hardware Wizard"!!

* Reboot into normal mode. voilа!!

Sorry for the over detailed number 1.

Before that I tried everything else, but nothing helped.

At least it was NOT neccessary to rename sptdxxxx.sys (which is not a driver by DTcc) or scsiport.sys (by M$).
And it was NOT necessary to Disable/Reenable SCSI/RAID Host Controllers (eg. sil3114)!
It was not necessary to control the yellow exclamation mark in the device manager.

I think the most important parts in short are

Uninstall daemontools and spdt with the uninstall tools. Then search and replace the registry to get completely rid of wrecked dt.
Search and rename spdt.sys and dtscsi.sys in safemode without spdt.sys loaded. Reboot into safe mode.
(Re)Install spdt in safe mode.
Start in normal mode and install daemontools WITHOUT start dt after installation. UNCHECK "start dt now"!
Start daemontools in safe mode.
Reboot

I hope this adresses also the BSOD and Stop errors.

I think one should be able to figure out which tasks of the steps above we could drop.

regards

Floogy

Skeith
14.03.2006, 14:51
What I did when I had a "turn off kernel debugger" message was open My Computer Properties, click the advanced tab, click the startup and recovery setting button, and change the option for system core dump to [none]. Then I rebooted and Voila! :)

I had this problem as well, and it worked for me too :D
Good job!

I recommand stcking it, so everyone with that problem will look at it ;)

anotherme
20.03.2006, 23:33
Ok blonde moment but..
Win 64bit.
Yes. Empire at War
Yes Curerom someversion

XP Hangs on boot screen

Tried Save Mode, Previous Last known Configuration etc etc,... no use...
Gets to the Press Esc to Cancel SPTD.sys.
Press Esc and it hangs,.. dont it hangs.

Help...
How do i get in to remove it. made a system disc with wifes normal XPsp2 machine but cant get access to the harddrive
What am I doing wrong.
Please help tearing my hair out

Copytrooper
21.03.2006, 10:51
Boot with your Windows cd into recovery console, log on to the Windows installation (requires administrator password), change dir (cd) to Windows\System32\Drivers directory, and rename sptd.sys and dtscsi.sys, then reboot and check if it solves the issue.

pvdb
21.03.2006, 14:34
I also have the same problem.
Normal machine , No changes except that I wanted to install the latest DT version. Al always gives the same effect. Unbootable machine like the others in this thread.
After repairing the sptd.sys , the old DT works fine.
Tried several DT versions now. nogo. Also tries to uninstall Alcohol, but no change.

Help

Lef
24.03.2006, 15:29
:D Hello everybody

I had used DAEMON TOOLS for 2 years now. When I installed it last month the Windows freezing problem accured. The only difference from the other posts that I have read is that my laptop boots up to the desktop. My laptop freezes when the DAEMON manager icon gets visible. My CPU usage goos to 100 % and I can almost do nothing anymore.

Here some of the things I tried:
uninstall DAEMON in safe mode
delete sptd.sys and dtscsi.sys file
delete all register entries of sptd.
disabled the minidump service
reinstalled sptd
reinstalled DAEMON
start DAEMON for the first time in safe mode
start DAEMON for the first time in normal mode.
renamed scsiport.sys
disabled the SCSI/RAID driver and reanabled it.
searching the whole internet (almost) and tryed everything

I did this things in different order and tried every combination. also the fix of 0600Zulu, but it all had no result. Can someone tell me something I did fergot or email me? Please help!

Greetings
(sorry for the bad English)

aaly
25.03.2006, 23:59

I had used DAEMON TOOLS for 2 years now. When I installed it last month the Windows freezing problem accured. The only difference from the other posts that I have read is that my laptop boots up to the desktop. My laptop freezes when the DAEMON manager icon gets visible. My CPU usage goos to 100 % and I can almost do nothing anymore.

reinstalled sptd
reinstalled DAEMON
renamed scsiport.sys

I did this things in different order and tried every combination. also the fix of 0600Zulu, but it all had no result. Can someone tell me something I did fergot or email me? Please help!

Greetings

same issiu but on my fresh installed win xp sp2 without anything else, daemon is the first program I tryed to installed. windows boots to desktop and then hangs, responds very slow, services.exe uses 99% of the proc. Could it be a windows problem on my laptop with windows sp1 there are no problems

MaVeRiCks
26.03.2006, 11:57

reinstalled sptd
reinstalled DAEMON
renamed scsiport.sys

Greetings

I have also the same problem with boot, i have tried everything ob nothing works! :mad:

Razorwindmo46
26.03.2006, 15:54
Hi,

I got issues with daemontools 4.03 x64 , too.
Finally I managed it to work.
I didn't had STOP errors or BSOD's.
I simply wasn't able to reinstall/upgrade/repair a broken DT installation. An WinXP upgrade from eval to retail x64 edition was the cause of the messed install.

Please read here the related threads:
Unable to add adapter. Device problem 12.
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showpost.php?p=52214&postcount=161
SCSI/RAID Probleme mit DT 4.03 nach WinXP upgrade x64 eval -> x64 retail (Sorry German, but with a lot of related screenshots):
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t10235-scsiraid-probleme-mit-dt-403-nach-winxp-upgrade-x64-eval-gt-x64-retail.html

I managed it this way, slightly different to http://www.kkaf.net/sptdfix.htm:

Download SPDTinst(xARCH).exe from the download section (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5 )where ARCH is either 86 or 64, depends on your OS.

Completely remove Daemon Tools and sptd associations:

* Uninstall Daemon Tools
* Reboot into safe mode, press ESC when message sth. like "To interrupt load of SPDT.SYS Press ESC" appears.
* login as a user with root privilege
* Say YES to the popup message, to confirm that you want to work in safe mode.
* In Start > Run type cmd and press ok.
* with cd path_where_SPDTinst(xARCH).exe_is_stored change to that directory.
* Type SPDTinst(xARCH).exe remove and follow the instructions
* Reboot into safe mode again and type into start > run regedit. Search for all spdt.sys "Daemon Tools" and dtscsi.sys entries and delete all of them. You may not be able to delete all entries. If that happens delete as much of the affected tree as you can do. This may happen twice to spdt.
* Start (Win+E) Explorer and go to %systemroot%\system32\drivers . Find spdt.sys and rename it to spdt.s_s. Find also dtscsi.sys and rename it to dtscsi.s_s.

* Reboot into safe mode and install spdt.sys with SPDTinst(xARCH).exe add. Follow the instructions.

* Reboot into normal mode and install Daemontools (I changed the installpath from c:\Program Files (86)\Daemon Tools to c:\Program Files\Daemon Tools).
I think this is one of the most important part:
UNCHECK "Start Daemontools"!

* Reboot into SAFE mode, DON'T press ESC when SPDT.SYS message appears!
* Start Daemontools in safe mode manually:
Start > Programs > Daemon Tools > Daemon Tools
* The daemontools tray icon appears, and daemontools are running, without the popping "Found new hardware Wizard"!!

* Reboot into normal mode. voilа!!

Sorry for the over detailed number 1.

Before that I tried everything else, but nothing helped.

At least it was NOT neccessary to rename sptdxxxx.sys (which is not a driver by DTcc) or scsiport.sys (by M$).
And it was NOT necessary to Disable/Reenable SCSI/RAID Host Controllers (eg. sil3114)!
It was not necessary to control the yellow exclamation mark in the device manager.

I think the most important parts in short are

Uninstall daemontools and spdt with the uninstall tools. Then search and replace the registry to get completely rid of wrecked dt.
Search and rename spdt.sys and dtscsi.sys in safemode without spdt.sys loaded. Reboot into safe mode.
(Re)Install spdt in safe mode.
Start in normal mode and install daemontools WITHOUT start dt after installation. UNCHECK "start dt now"!
Start daemontools in safe mode.
Reboot

I hope this adresses also the BSOD and Stop errors.

I think one should be able to figure out which tasks of the steps above we could drop.

regards

Floogy

Did exactly as stated.
STILL getting install "iviVD.sys.
Daemon Tools works fine and all virtual drives work, just getting tired of cancelling the driver install. Daemon Tools 4.0 worked just fine.
4.03 is a major hiccup!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Lef
26.03.2006, 16:11
Can a windows update cause this problem?

aaly
27.03.2006, 15:18
Can a windows update cause this problem?

yes it was a windows problem

I found the answer for my case after hours of testing. After the restart i completed the installation but didn`t run daemon first I had to remove this in the registry :

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

After that I started daemon tools and works lika a charm.

Lef
28.03.2006, 12:42
This is a new fix that i've not seen before. Only it doos'nt work for me. I don't have the uppercasefilters entrie only the lowercasefilters. I deleted that one and then started DAEMON and my system freezes. :confused:
To bad

aaly
28.03.2006, 16:26
try to delete everything in that folder before starting daemon,at my frends laptop that helped

Lef
29.03.2006, 11:10
Do you mean to delete the whole class where the entries upperfilters and lowerfilters are?

aaly
29.03.2006, 16:22
Here is a picture delete all that and then it must work i gurentee http://bosrap.com/a1.jpg

Lef
31.03.2006, 13:00
Ok after doing everything and after a few posts on the forum I saw a reply to delete everything from the class 4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 from the registery. So here is the fix:

1 Install DAEMON Tools normally but don't start daemon.
2 Go to start -> run and type regedit
3 When you are in regedit you can click on search int he menu edit.
4 search for "4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318"
5 When you find this delete everything in that class but don't delete the class itself! (the class must have the axact same name as stated above!)
6 When you've done this, you can start DAEMON and your pc will not freez up

Thanx to AALY

Provider_uk
01.04.2006, 20:28
Ok after doing everything and after a few posts on the forum I saw a reply to delete everything from the class 4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 from the registery. So here is the fix:

1 Install DAEMON Tools normally but don't start daemon.
2 Go to start -> run and type regedit
3 When you are in regedit you can click on search int he menu edit.
4 search for "4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318"
5 When you find this delete everything in that class but don't delete the class itself! (the class must have the axact same name as stated above!)
6 When you've done this, you can start DAEMON and your pc will not freez up

Thanx to AALY

Im fairly sure this is a solution to a different problem to that described by the thread opener. The main problem discussed here, which i also have, is that after the SPTD driver is installed (which then requires a reboot before DT is installed) the system doesnt boot anymore. Getting as far as installing the actual app isnt even possible.
Initially, after updating from a previous dt version (347) everything worked fine, no problems with th sptd driver. Since the install a couple of weeks ago (no reboots in that time) i have installed Elder Scrolls: Oblivion game, and nvidia 84.21 forceware drivers (with the reboot pending). PC crashed playing elder scrolls today and goes into the aforementioned lock (after XP boot screen, and before logon). Fixed it by renaming stpd.sys (just that file), but no amount of re-installing, uninstalling etc of d-tools will let me boot with the SPTD driver now.

Running:
XP SP2 (32bit, single processor)
no av
no sw firewall
KT800pro onboard sata raid
Nero V6
No starforce

Any suggestions for making d-tools work for me again?

Lef
03.04.2006, 14:53
Hello there
If you uninstall daemon tools and sptd and delete all the entries from the registery that will come up when you search for sptd, you can reboot normally. When you install d tools again you must do a reboot for sptd. When I am not wrong you can normally boot after that and the installation will continue. At the end of the installation uncheck run Daemon tools and finish the installation. After that delete the entries from the reg class mentioned above and then start d tools. I think this will work. At least it did that for me and i also could not boot with sptd in place and d tools installed

Sorry again for my bad english

marcurea
04.04.2006, 20:37
I have the hang-up on boot problem as well and removing sptd.sys etc. seems to be the only real solution = no DT. :(
Since most people have been using DT regularly on a variety of different machines before, this particular problem seems to be related to "new" technology. Specifically I'd guess the problem is related to new hard drive arrays, such as RAIDs and SATAs, or incompatibility between DT and drive controllers on newer systems.
So, has anyone encountered this problem on "older" systems, with IDE drives and older mobos? I don't think this issue is related to Windows or any updates as I've used DT myself on XP with SP2 on other systems before.

flippz
09.04.2006, 17:08
What fixed it for me was to reinstall Microsofts default
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

http://gaming.gudd.no/fix.jpg

I hope this help any of you.

ps i had the nvidia drivers before

edit: seems this did not help although i could boot into windows once

Provider_uk
11.04.2006, 20:19
Tried all the suggestions so far, always get to the same point, re-install sptd, reboot, no login screen. I've gone back to d-tools 347 without the sptd for now, but a fix would be really nice.

joshx0rfz
15.04.2006, 01:14
Well, I've been working on solving this problem for a couple weeks and have had no luck. For the longest time I couldn't even access my harddrive until I got an ntfs for dos disk which allowed me to access and alter files on my harddrive. I proceeded to rename sptd.sys and all the other sys files that were suggested and tried restarting and it still hangs (in safe or normal) and it still hangs every time.

I decided to bite the bullet and reformat and reinstall but no harddrives showed up (even though I could find them in ntfs dos but not through recovery). After a few seconds a BSOD popped up as well. I tried buying a new harddrive (thinking the old one was fried) and the windows installer won't recognize that and BSOD again.

Any help would be appreciated as right now my laptop is just a very expensive paperweight.

Thanks.

-Josh

Provider_uk
16.04.2006, 14:22
Ok, think ive got a fix, this is what worked for me anyhow...

Go through normal procedure (install d-stools, allow sptd to be installed)
When rebooting to complete sptd install, boot to safe mode and rename or remove sptd.sys.
Boot normally, start an install of alcohol 120% (latest version) and allow that to install sptd drivers included.
Reboot again, and pray :P
Assuming you can now boot to windows, daemon tools will happily run with the sptd drivers supplied by alcohol.
Not sure on this, but maybe just installing latest alcohol before Daemon tools would work.
Or there might be a standalone sptd installer on alcohol's site. Whatever, i have it working fine now.

Thorz
21.04.2006, 16:30
I have the same problem as most of you, XP doesn't pass the load screen and PC frozes in a black screen right before showing the windows desktop.

I DON'T USE DAEMON TOOLS, I use Alcohol 120% (the last version 1.9.5.3823).
PC boots on safe mdoe but I can see a delay loading SPCD.SYS (I get the press ESC message but i don't need to press it). This was what made me search on Google for this prob and ended here.
I have fully updated the PC with everything on Windows Update page, not only the critical updates (Date: 20.04.2006).

My system is just installed so it is very clean:

Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
A64 X2 4200+ (dual core)
Geforce 7600GT
2 SATA HD (NO RAID): Raptor 74GB (boot) and Seagate Barracuda 500GB.
IDE devices: Pioneer DVD-ROM, Plextor Premium CD-RW and Benq 1655 DVDRW.
SB Audigy 2

Important drivers and progs installed:
-Alcohol 120% 1.9.5.3823.
-Chipset Nvidia drivers (excluding sound)
-NOD32 AV
-Logitech mouse, gamepad and USB camera

Only game installed:
Need for Speed Most Wanted.
-Office 2003

Ok, think ive got a fix, this is what worked for me anyhow...
Assuming you can now boot to windows, daemon tools will happily run with the sptd drivers supplied by alcohol.

In my case Alcohol produces the fail, no warranties that this fix helps in all situations.

Does this bug/error only affect people with dual processor technology? I sure don't hope I will get it..

Good question. My processor is a dual core too.

To recap, the problem is that the computer will hang on boot (not crash, if it ever where that simple) when the spdt driver is loaded.

When I boot into multiproc kernel, the driver will fail about 75% of the time. The computer will then enter a tight loop on one of the cores, since loading of windows apparently continues on the other core for a short while, since there is hd activity.

The 75% may just be because of the cpu speed of my dual core, and/or driver load order. Others may experience this as a complete lockup or 25% failure rate, depending on how easily this soft hang is triggered on their system.

I've also seen reports that unmounting the images from the drives helps, but I can't confirm or reject this right now.

I also see hard drive activity after the computer hangs on black screen, this confirms your sysmptoms and somehow can validate your teory about problem with multicore CPUs.

I don't have CureROM but I think that what you say about the Windows updates can make a lot of sense.

I am sure that there has to be a comflict between SPCD.SYS and something that we all have in common. The scary thing is that somebody posted here that he installed DT4 right after Windows XP was finished installing and he got the hang too. I will test with my virgin Acronis True Image taken right after the install and will post.

I hope the developers can find a solution. This issue is affecting lots of people.

vimes
24.04.2006, 22:10
Hello

FWIW I would like to share my experience with the latest version of Alcohol and SPTD.sys.

As many people have found I too have had this problem with my booting into XP just stopping. However what I have noticed is...

I had XP installed from a CD with SP 2 integrated and very little else. I never bothered about any Windows updates as I use alternative email / browser applications etc etc etc. And Alcohol worked fine.

However I was ready to format my drive, not been done for ages, and this time I compiled an installation CD for XP with all the latest updates, fixes, etc etc etc within it. I then installed Alcohol and found that I had the boot failures that other people are finding.

Restoring, from an image, my old copy of XP, with no Windows updates ever applied, SPTD.sys loaded fine and caused zero boot issues.

Going back to the new build with all the Windows updates then I again had the boot issues.

I decided to stick with the new build and remove the latest version of Alcohol and revert back to an old version that doesn't use SPTD.sys and all is fine.

Now one set of tests doesn't mean that my findings are accurate or correct. BUt it might be a clue that something with Windows updates could influence the way that SPTD.sys interacts with the system...?

Thorz
24.04.2006, 23:58
Now one set of tests doesn't mean that my findings are accurate or correct. BUt it might be a clue that something with Windows updates could influence the way that SPTD.sys interacts with the system...?

I suspect exactly the same. It has to be some update that is triggering the problem.

simcoder
30.04.2006, 12:42
1. uninstall daemon tools and the sptd.sys using sptdinst_x64.exe remove
2. reboot
3. run regedit delete ALLE! referance to sptd and dtscsi (for those keys you can't delete, just delete the content eksept the (Default) key)
4. reboot in safe mode
5. run sptdinst_x64.exe add
6. install daemon tools v4.03
7. you are done and happy :D

it might work for xp 32 as vel eksept use a defrent sptdinst

sorry for eny bad spelling i am a Dane :)

Thorz
30.04.2006, 17:50
2. reboot
3. run regedit delete ALLE! referance to sptd and dtscsi (for those keys you can't delete, just delete the content eksept the (Default) key)
4. reboot in safe mode

Takk!
I will test this.

Ythan
01.05.2006, 06:31
I just encountered this problem on my system. I may or may not be able to help since I think I know exactly what led up to it. I was playing Tomb Raider Legend 1.1 with the handy Deviance no CD patch so I don't have to dig out the CD every time I want to play. The TRL image was *not* mounted as it's not required with the patch. While I was playing, the game hung at the end of a level. On reboot, I encountered this problem. No safe mode, couldn't run CHKDSK from the recovery console (hung at 12%). Tried to repair my existing installation. Setup didn't delete or copy any files, just rebooted and hung with the XP splash. Tried chkdsk again from the recovery console, worked this time. Another repair install got further and hung on the blue desktop with cursor. At this point I was getting frustrated and finally found this thread. Renamed stpd.sys and dtscsi.sys from the recovery console. The repair install appears to be proceeding normally, although I now realize it was unnecessary. To the best of my knowledge I hadn't made any changes to my system since the last reboot. This is what leads me to believe that the game crashing had something to do with it. Anyway, awesome software but this bug sucks. If I can do anything to help track it down please let me know. Unfortunately I have no logs from when the problem occured though.

minimaus
02.05.2006, 00:55
But the difference is that I never have used DT, not even known of its existence.

So, NO version of DT is the origin of the problem.

I first got the prob. when I installed a virtual drive in Alcohol120%. During the instal the screen got black and my pc rebooted without ending. Alcohol120% was running on my system for several years but was not used very often.

My system:
Pentium 4 2,4 Ghz
win2000
promise raid controler
Nero 6 with virtual drive
alcohol120% some old version (now deleted)

2 month ago all microsoft updates were done and I did not use Alcohol120% since this time.

To get my comp running again I deleted Alcohol120 drivers in "secure mode" and now pc runs fine. But as I install alcohol120 again the prob comes up again. I used 4 different vers. of alcohol120 -> all the same prob.

Depending on the alcohol120 the sys files to be deleted were:
xmasbus.sys
a347bus.sys
vax347b.sys
sptd.sys on the latest alcohol120% 1.9.5.3823

I agree with vimes, who thinks there is a problem with microsoft updates, as the alcohol is running fine on my win2000 notebook without latest updates

I hope this may help you solve the problem

seekerX3
02.05.2006, 17:40
2. reboot
4. reboot in safe mode

doesnt work

Thorz
02.05.2006, 22:25
doesnt work

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/images/icons/icon9.gif
Thanks for posting.
I have not installed Alcohol again for testing.

jmk
12.05.2006, 19:58
Hi,

I've read this whole thread and it seems to me this is the result of a WIndows XP SP2 Update.
Everyone(98%) has WINXP SP2 dealing whith this problem!
I tried to install DT 4.03 and BSOD etc etc...

Apperently, there are more than one fix around here, but I'm not convinced this will permentantly fix the problem.
1. With some fixes, some games/images work, some don't anymore. (That's what I can readout from some posts...I could be wrong)
2. At a later point, maybe a new MS update, the OS may become increasingly unstable.
3. If the fixes posted here were all that great the D-Tools staff would have OK'd it. They didn't. So maybe I'll better wait.

This is not critisism! :) All fixes and bug reports help the staff to fix this, so all help they are getting is great, you are helping to get a stable OS using DT-4.

As much as I like to use disk emulation software right now, I don't want an unstable OS.

specs:
P4 2.66 Ghz
1 GB RAM
WIN XP2
NVIDIA 5200 FX

Greetings jmk

Tomkin
19.05.2006, 09:01
Hi guys,

I had the same problem, it came suddenly, as I haven't installed anything, computer just stopped responding. Reboot, then black screen. Tried reinstalling DT, deleting sptd.sys and dtscsi.sys, registry...and still nothing. Then I noticed SonicStage (sw for mp3 player) has some SCSI driver which boots with Windows, I deleted it and now it all works! Maybe this will be helpful to somebody.

AndreWilson1982
22.05.2006, 15:04
hi guys for some reason my pc wont boot into windows. it restarts when the xp logo appears. if i go into safe mode then the "Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys" appears. i press ESC and then it restarts again. what do i do.PLEASE HELP!!!

Thorz
23.05.2006, 18:17
The stupidest thing is that Alcohol has only answered me that they know about the problem but that there is a small number of users that are presenting it! They don't have an ETA for a fix (if this will exist one day!). They work together with Daemon Tools team for finding the solution following what the support guy wrote to me.

minimaus
23.05.2006, 23:00
I wrote to www.duplexsecure.com who seems to be the programmer of SPTD, I send them a minidump, but didn't get any answer yet. They also have a very little forum.

shdwsclan
03.06.2006, 06:40
The problem is inter-related with the following software.

MacDrive
Nero
Daemon Tools 4.x

USB Hubs
CD Roms
Satas

SPTD.sys is basically the virtualization portion.
It is a rootkit as to conceal itself from software looking for virtualization software.

Looking at gov't legislation, the possesion of rootkit-based virtualization software is illegal in some countries. Not in the US though, as of yet...

Also, since daemon tools is rootkit based, it makes it that much harder to delete and re-install where this problem comes in.

Basically, seen a descent solution which says that you must delete all the sptdXXXX.sys files, or at least rename them to sptdXXXX.old before reinstalling.

Deletion of the keys and sptd.sys is a good start but not a finish.
From speculation, sptd.sys seems to reference other sptd.sys files.....

I scoured the web looking for this....though....

I have all software mentioned, including XP SP2.

Hope this problem gets a resolution soon since i use this software to test my hybrid ISO images.

Jito463
03.06.2006, 14:28
Daemon Tools is not a rootkit, nor does it contain a rootkit. It uses some features that are "similar" to a rootkit, but not quite the same thing.

jmk
05.06.2006, 15:57
The problem is inter-related with the following software.

MacDrive
Nero
Daemon Tools 4.x

USB Hubs
CD Roms
Satas

SPTD.sys is basically the virtualization portion.
It is a rootkit as to conceal itself from software looking for virtualization software.

Looking at gov't legislation, the possesion of rootkit-based virtualization software is illegal in some countries. Not in the US though, as of yet...

Also, since daemon tools is rootkit based, it makes it that much harder to delete and re-install where this problem comes in.

Basically, seen a descent solution which says that you must delete all the sptdXXXX.sys files, or at least rename them to sptdXXXX.old before reinstalling.

Deletion of the keys and sptd.sys is a good start but not a finish.
From speculation, sptd.sys seems to reference other sptd.sys files.....

I scoured the web looking for this....though....

I have all software mentioned, including XP SP2.

Hope this problem gets a resolution soon since i use this software to test my hybrid ISO images.
Do you have any proof(or a proper source) of what you are saying about inter-related programs messing the system up?

Would this help do you think?:
1. de-install Nero 6.06
2. install DT4.03HE
3. Find another program to burn DVDs/CDs

I am courious about your reply.

Greetings jmk

hotmilk400
06.06.2006, 00:32
yeah .. i dunno.. i do have Nero 6.. so maybe it is something with nero.. but most likey it is windows update.. my summer vocation is coming up on friday, so i get the whole summer to work on this... becuase i really wanna use this stuff.. well i guess ill start by un-installing things that most people seem to have.. then if i get nowhere.. ill reboot, and reinstall.. im guessing it will work then.. slowly i will install stuff untill i find out what is causing the problem.. and let you guys know.. could anyone get there solfwere workin on a XP?? did anyone try useing a differnt OS.. maybe MAC? or Linux?? i dont see anyone havon trouble with a MAC.. but that doesnt mean much.. it seems that everyone started to have touble around the same time.. sooo im guessing it is windows? and update? maybe SP2?? hmm.. well anway.. my goal for the summer is to fix this.. even tho im not the only one!!! :D

pretaanluxis
24.06.2006, 05:53
Bump for this pain in the ass problem

Thorz
24.06.2006, 16:45
This is the last news about the issue. This is my reply posted on the Alcohol 120% forums today. For me it finally worked. Thanks for all the useful help on this thread.

These are the 2 threads there speaking about the issue:

Windows boot problem. Maybe SPTD.SYS (http://forum.alcohol-soft.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=23558)

Alcohol 120% won't even launch (http://forum.alcohol-soft.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=20854)

Hello everyone.

About the latest developments on this issue I like to make an update.

I decided to give the new Alcohol 120% version a try (Alcohol Version 1.9.5.4212) and after one week I have not detected the problem. I have not uninstalled or change anything else on my system. The Logitech software for my webcam / mouse and gamepad is still in place.

At the moment I have 2 virtual drives emulated as W and X, and I have tested leaving images mounted and rebooting and with nothing mounted also. It works ok on both situations. Booting time is normal.
I have not stop installing Windows Updates all this time, my system is 100% updated on the Microsoft WU page (all High Priority and Software (optional) updates to date are in place).

I don't know if the developer team has targeted this problem in particular on the fixes for this release but whatever they did it has affected positively the situation and the problem has disappeared on my system.

I recommend everyone with this problem to give the last version a try and if the problems continue check the Logitech issues and rename / remove the lvprcinj.dll file.

Thank you all for your participation on this thread.

supertailz
24.06.2006, 17:43
ok, i fixed the sptd.

i am running win x64 (oh the humanity) and auto updates.

not i had the problem of installing sdtp, restarting win and damon instalation and just general sptd (remove) no reconising the instalation no matter how many times u install it.

i had previously installed DT and one day it decided to stop working never worried about ti untill i needed it.

anyway i read on a forum that windows is releasing a security patch that may have some affect on DT (to be more exact the SDTP running of it all)

If u have tried everything thing else go to "add or remove programs" and click the box on the top middle of the screen that says "show updates"

scoll down to the security updates NOT the office updates (if u have them) uninstall ALL the security updates and also turn off auto updating.

reboot windows and then try reinstalling DT everything should work like normal.

somone try this and tell em how it goes.

i did this on x64 i dont know if it would work on x86. removing the security patch may cause a security issue on vunerabilities on ur system but it may be the only way until SPDT updates the driver.

i hope i helped :)

Jito463
24.06.2006, 23:22
You know, you only had to remove KB914784, not all of them....

jmk
25.06.2006, 02:09
This to me is new information! Tomorow (after a decent night sleep, It's 2 AM now) I will see if the update is installed, deinstall it if so, and try to install DT (spd included, duh ;) ). I'll post my findings...

@Thorz:
I dont use any logitech hardware/drivers, and DT worked on this machine on SP1 fully patched, about 3/4 a year ago. Sinds then I had few harware upgrades(external USB-HD, +512 MB RAM). DT wont install on this machine on a clean OS installation SP2 fully patched.
But sinds we all wonder in the dark here, any idea is welcome, keep 'em coming! :)

Goodnight!

jmk
25.06.2006, 13:53
Sorry, I didn't read properly yesterday. The KB914784 update is an x64 update, and since I have the 32-bit version of windows installed, I can't try this option.

The fact remains DT4 worked fine on my machine BEFORE a fresh install of SP2+all patches...

Whoops, back in the dark again :confused:

Any ideas anyone?

starbuck34
25.06.2006, 22:11

This is true - but thanks supertailz for pointing me in the right direction... ;)

jmk
26.06.2006, 16:16
Hello All,

Thanks for all the help. I have the same problem in the original post. Don't remember the exact version but think I have DT 3.38. It was working fine and to my knowledge didn't install anything; no games and didn't even mount any images. All of a sudden, my machine is in an endless reboot loop.

Tried ESC at sptd.sys in safe mode, and renaming sptd.sys, sptd3389.sys and dtscsi.sys, but seems to fix the problem. I have no idea what I can do. I badly wanna avoid reinstalling windows as I have to reinstall a lot of other software, and it is a pain to get back to the same setup. I don't really need DT to work either; all I am trying to do is to get my machine to boot with everything else sans DT.

Have ASUS A8N32-SLI, AMD64x2, SATA HDD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Senthil
Have you considered Winternals "ERD Commander 2005"?
It can help you to backup important data, and maybe even repair your system so it can boot.

doublej1
05.07.2006, 18:41
Hello joshery 420,

I've had trouble with the sptd.sys file aswell. You mention that you know how to fix the problem with the SPTD.sys. Just wondering what you did to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
doublej1

CoderJ
06.07.2006, 03:36
I managed to get rid of my SPTD.sys issue through some registry editing. (Note: This is on an XP Sp2 system)

My problem was Event Viewer kept showing warnings loading SPTD.sys (unable to verify internal data), and Nero seem to crash upon exit as well. Uninstalling Daemon and SPTD.sys completely made the problem go away. However, while I was getting rid of all of SPTD's registry settings, I noticed something.

RegEdit would initially not allow me to delete many of SPTD's registry keys. A quick check on permissions showed many were set to "Everyone: READ", meaning I could read the key, however, I could not edit or delete it. A quick reinstall later, I went through the registry and set all of SPTD's keys to allow the listed users Full Control (Often, this meant Everyone, but many had only Administrators and Power Users on as needing it). I also noted two keys that allowed EVERYONE: Full Control, but had my specific user account listed as having no permission. After tweaking all the permissions in the registry, the Nero crash-on-exit problem was gone and SPTD no longer showed up in my Event Viewer with an error.

Sorry I didn't record exactly what keys I had to tweak the permissions on, but basically I just went through looking from SPTD and checking every key and subkey permission. Took me all of 15 minutes, if.

jasont724
12.07.2006, 06:26
Any news with this issue? I have the latest alcohol installed and sptd still hangs during bootup with my logitech cam installed. I have an xps 1210 so I cannot remove the cam.

Underheaven
12.07.2006, 12:09
Any news with this issue? I have the latest alcohol installed and sptd still hangs during bootup with my logitech cam installed. I have an xps 1210 so I cannot remove the cam.

Are you using the most recent camera drivers (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?fileid=166926)?

jasont724
12.07.2006, 19:43
Are you using the most recent camera drivers (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?fileid=166926)?

Yep. I did a reformat and fresh install. After installing the drivers from the dell site, I installed alcohol / DT (separately during separate reformats) and both caused the bootup to hang. If I don't install the logitech drivers, sptd works fine.

Thorz
12.07.2006, 20:36
These are the links to the uodated SPTD.SYS driver from Duplex Secure development team as posted in the Alcohol Forums. You that still are having problems give them a try and post your findings. I will copy/paste the entire post on Alcohoo forums because I think it is important. Good Luck!

-----------
Thread link:
http://forum.alcohol-soft.com/index.php?showtopic=23765

Title: SPTD Driver Updated to Version 1.25, Please update your SPTD-layer immediately

Duplex Secure development team has released today a new update of SPTD driver (Ver 1.25), which fixes some previously reported critical issues including latest XP64 update and McAfee fix.
In between this release also addresses Vista Beta 2 compatibility problems.

Please update your SPTD-layer immediately

Instructions: Decompress and run the BAT.File or from command console follow the details below

x32 bits:
Description:
NEW VERSION 1.25 - CHANGELOG:

Incompatibilities with McAfee fixed
Several glitches fixed

This is the standalone-package of the SPTD-driver. To remove the SPTD-driver, simple download it and via command-console, execute it "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" and SPTD will remove itself from your windows installation. If you want to add it, execute in command console "sptdinst_x86.exe add". SPTD is also used (besides Alcohol Software) in some proprietary security, antivirus and monitoring applications which are not disclosed to wide public.

Download SPTDinst-v125-x86:
http://85.17.36.30/SPDT/SPTDinst-v125-x86.rar

x64 bits:
Description:
NEW VERSION 1.25 CHANGELOG:

Microsoft Patch KB 914784 - FIXED
McAfee incompatibilities - FIXED
Several glitches and issues some users reported - FIXED

This is the standalone-package of the SPTD-driver. To remove the SPTD-driver, simple download it and via command-console, execute it "sptdinst_x64.exe remove" and SPTD will remove itself from your windows installation. If you want to add it, execute in command console "sptdinst_x64.exe add". SPTD is also used (besides Alcohol Software) in some proprietary security, antivirus and monitoring applications which are not disclosed to wide public.

Download SPTDinst-v125-x64:
http://85.17.36.30/SPDT/SPTDinst-v125-x64.rar

ScottKin
13.07.2006, 19:15
These are the links to the uodated SPTD.SYS driver from Duplex Secure development team as posted in the Alcohol Forums. You that still are having problems give them a try and post your findings. I will copy/paste the entire post on Alcohoo forums because I think it is important. Good Luck!

-----------
Thread link:
http://forum.alcohol-soft.com/index.php?showtopic=23765

Title: SPTD Driver Updated to Version 1.25, Please update your SPTD-layer immediately

Duplex Secure development team has released today a new update of SPTD driver (Ver 1.25), which fixes some previously reported critical issues including latest XP64 update and McAfee fix.
In between this release also addresses Vista Beta 2 compatibility problems.

Please update your SPTD-layer immediately

Instructions: Decompress and run the BAT.File or from command console follow the details below

x32 bits:
Description:
NEW VERSION 1.25 - CHANGELOG:

Incompatibilities with McAfee fixed
Several glitches fixed

This is the standalone-package of the SPTD-driver. To remove the SPTD-driver, simple download it and via command-console, execute it "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" and SPTD will remove itself from your windows installation. If you want to add it, execute in command console "sptdinst_x86.exe add". SPTD is also used (besides Alcohol Software) in some proprietary security, antivirus and monitoring applications which are not disclosed to wide public.

Download SPTDinst-v125-x86:
http://85.17.36.30/SPDT/SPTDinst-v125-x86.rar

x64 bits:
Description:
NEW VERSION 1.25 CHANGELOG:

Microsoft Patch KB 914784 - FIXED
McAfee incompatibilities - FIXED
Several glitches and issues some users reported - FIXED

This is the standalone-package of the SPTD-driver. To remove the SPTD-driver, simple download it and via command-console, execute it "sptdinst_x64.exe remove" and SPTD will remove itself from your windows installation. If you want to add it, execute in command console "sptdinst_x64.exe add". SPTD is also used (besides Alcohol Software) in some proprietary security, antivirus and monitoring applications which are not disclosed to wide public.

Download SPTDinst-v125-x64:
http://85.17.36.30/SPDT/SPTDinst-v125-x64.rar

Thanks - but it's not clear how we are supposed to fix this issue with existing installs of DT or any other software (i.e A120) that uses SPTD. Do we uninstall the existing product(s) that use SPTD so that the current driver is not loaded and then run the "sptdinst_x64.exe add" routine, or do we run "sptdinst_x64.exe remove" to uninstall the existing SPTD?

All very confusing.

--ScottKin

jasont724
13.07.2006, 20:27
I have managed to find what the problem is and use a kludge workaround. Please note that this applies with a dell user who has the sigmatel audio and logitech webcams.

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4066

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_audio&message.id=27533

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=quickcam_software&message.id=518

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=quickcam_software&message.id=1333

These links all point to a problem with the AEC feature of the
logitech microphone's driver and its conflict with both the sigmatel sound card and the sptd drivers. It conflicts with the sound card because both have line-in capabilities. It conflicts with the sptd because the logitech sound driver has to do with kernels(?). The display name says Logitech Kernal Audio Processing Filter Driver. This was just a guess.

I have managed to get my system up and running now following logitech's instructions to remove a folder and file related to the webcam's mic. I can use alcohol but I can't use the mic anymore. They supposedly are working on a fix for the past few months now.

This is so frustrating.

Thorz
13.07.2006, 21:39
I think you have to just uninstall the driver and install it again, don't think that you have to touch the applications that use it. This is what I have understood.

Development
14.07.2006, 04:44
You need just update SPTD only, without removing anything.

Vandrick
15.07.2006, 01:32
Hey I was reading the post cus I was having the same problem and managed to figger out how to fix it.

When you first boot your PC you will hang so you have to restart your pc in safe mode. (after bios boot screen rapidly press F8)
! Let the Sptd.sys driver load. ! (Dont press ESC)
In order for this to work you do need Sptd.sys dirver to be in
\Windows\System32\drivers\

Once in safe mode load daemon tools.

Next Right click the icon and go to Virtual CD/DVD-ROM Then
Go to Set number of devices... and set it to Disabled.

Next restart your pc. Once back in windows u can set the number of devices back to what it was before.

I think there was some conflict with windows loading the emulated CD-ROM drive at start up. Not the Sptd.sys file. By removing the Sptd.sys file we were just disabling Daemon tools from working, thus disabling the messed up drive.

Happy emulation! -Vandrick

kdt80
17.07.2006, 05:18
I'm having this problem too. However, I can't even boot into safe mode to troubleshoot. It says to press esc to stop loading sptd.sys, but if I don't press esc my computer just restarts. If I do press esc, my computer restarts. Any ideas on how I can boot into safe mode?

chuck303
24.07.2006, 12:44
I also have a RAID-controller system and now I am crapping golden Twinkies. I have used DT 3.whatever for years on many systems with no problems. However, when I loaded the latest DT, whammo! One day and three reboots and I get the BSOD for .5 seconds. The windows boot up screen would read press esc to cancel loading SPTD.sys and then d346bus.sys. I get the same results if I press esc or not. I havent tried windows recovery consol yet. If I wasnt RAIDing, I would simply remove the HD, places it in my external unit, retrieve any files, reformat and reload OS with the old DT. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this problem it would be very grateful.

Thanks, chuck

Copytrooper
24.07.2006, 15:38
You've to remove the obsolete drivers (d346bus.sys & d346prt.sys)! V3.4x and v4.0x are NOT compatible!

Thorz
24.07.2006, 22:03
If I wasnt RAIDing, I would simply remove the HD, places it in my external unit, retrieve any files, reformat and reload OS with the old DT. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this problem it would be very grateful.

Thanks, chuck

Th RAID doesn't really matters. Load a cd or USB pen drive with Ghost or (much better) Acronis True Image. Make an image of your array, that should be seen as a single disk by both programs and dump the image on a single hard disk, you can even retrieve all your files without restoring the image as both Ghost and ATI let you mount an image. Use another machine with Windows installed for doing this.

After this you can so whatever you like with the image if you have though of reloading the OS.

But I agree with Copytrooper, just remove the offending drivers. If you like to have access to your Windows just delete SPTD.sys and the other drivers with problems, you can always use a disk like BartPE or any CD *nix distro that can read NTFS for doing this. You can retrieve all the files that you like using one of this CD methods too.

Good luck!

losninos
27.07.2006, 19:32
I was convinced I had a reply here concerning my Daemon issues.

In the meantime I have been able to do a Recovery from the Windows XP cd yet the earliest recovery point is April and as I installed Daemon in March, whatever point I take, I get back to the black - keep on rebooting - screen.

The issue is in the registry keys, as when I take the "repair" ones from Windows, I am able to access Windows.

What are the changes done by Daemon tool to the registry settings? How can I have them checked?

Any other suggestions would be nice.

Thanks!

Copytrooper
27.07.2006, 20:09
Your post was outsourced to an own thread:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?p=64219

chengtl
16.08.2006, 05:34
Hi all,

I've the same problem of not being able to boot into Win XP after installing DT. During bootup in safe mode, pressing the Esc key to ignore loading sptd.sys is useless. It simply reboots again. Does the Recovery console mode during boot from Win XP CD realli help? I'm very desperate as I did not back up my files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx very much.

Copytrooper
16.08.2006, 10:09
Why not give it a try? Couldn't get worse ...

GDW
01.09.2006, 22:22
Hi guys!

I had the exact same problem as many of you in this thread. PC hung when starting up and safe mode reveiled it was the SPTD.sys driver. Not loading this driver booted windows XP Pro (32bit) without problems (disabling DT of course).

It all started after mounting and installing a Flat Out 2 image into daemon tools v4.03HE from an external HD. The game installer also installed a new version of DirectX 9c but I don't think this had anything to do with it. After trying the game I turned of the PC without unmounting the image.

The next day it went wrong. SPTD problems. I tried some of the so-called solutions from this thread but all to no avail. Today I decided to use system restore and wanted to turn my PC back a few days. That didn't work, but hey, daemon tools was suddenly up and running! I unmounted the image, restarted the PC and it worked. So, I think one of the following things caused this behaviour:

- a very large image being mounted (flat out 2 is 4.29GB) and not unmounted after turning off the PC. Somebody here mentioned Oblivion, which is also a +4GB image.

- the image mounted was on an external HD that was not available when the PC booted.

I hope this helps for some of you... I am nog going to test anymore, because finally I got it working! :D

Morpheus187
02.09.2006, 10:24
Hi

I had exactly the same Problem with SPTD driver, after rebooting windows hangs after the loading bar, but i remebere before i rebooted i change some settings at my drive letters, i also changed the Deamon tools device to another letter, so i did a system restore and all was running fine again.

So this time i changed the drive letter with the daemon tools software itself, not with windows disk management, and see there.. its working :-).. so NEVER change the drive letter of the daemon tools device with windows disk management.

Regards
Morph

dukka
02.09.2006, 11:47
i have the problem with scsi/raid host controller. I install daemon tool 3.97, but when it get to the part"installing scsi/raid host control" my computer change to a blue crash screen, it happened all the times i tried. I use Intel dual core, ddr2,vga onboard,hdd Sata2, and winxp

Jito463
04.09.2006, 02:03
I use Intel
Well, there's your problem right there. :wink: :D

All kidding aside however, have you tried using the 4.03 version instead? 3.47 is an old version now, and no longer supported. It's only around for those with Win9x based machines (95/98/ME).

dukka
04.09.2006, 05:30
ok, i'll try this, thanks

ZiRo_UK
04.10.2006, 14:21
I recently updated my nvidia and nforce drivers and now my system takes 29 passes of the blue loading bar on XP to load the OS.

I found here by google, spdt.sys is the last driver in safemode to load, the "press cancel" message goes away, then it takes another 30 seconds to load safemode.Removing DT doesn't help, nor does removing the spdt.sys, or any other drivers mentioned. It seems I cannot stop the problem at all, DT or not.

Any help appreciated.

HessesiaN
14.10.2006, 16:39
One day after installing SP1 for windows XP proffesional, the windows just wont booted, the loading Icon was just turning around and aroun with no progress, so I restarted the PC, started in safe mode by esc skipped loading SPTD.sys and found it and deleted, then I runed the windows normaly and reinstaled d-tools, everything was ok then. I think that this problem is created by letting any virtual dvd/cd mounted, but I must say that this happened to mi only twice, when I had mounted dvd from microsoft encarta 2006 and dvd from game the godfather.

vizion
14.10.2006, 20:58
Getting a BSOD also, can't get windows xp to load in safe or any other mode, whether or not i try to esc when it loads sptd.sys i get the same result, this error message: Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82F5B3F0, 0x00000102, 0x00000000)

Not sure what other info is needed to help me, let me know i'll do my best to answer.

Jito463
14.10.2006, 21:48
@HessesiaN
You should probably not update or install any service packs with DTools loaded.

@vizion
Can you boot into Safe Mode if you skip loading SPTD?

Slipstream
19.10.2006, 16:57
I went to Filehippo downloaded the older version of DT 3.47 ... the version before the toolbar bloatware was added and so far it works fine.

y0himba
02.11.2006, 23:39
I am having the same problem with sptd.sys. I am using v4.06HE. Anytime I mount a data DVD image, then reboot with the image mounted, sptd.sys causes the system to completely freeze after loading is done.

Temp Fix:

I reboot in safe mode, when it says "Press ESC to stop loading sptd.sys" hit ESC. Then go to where the image file that you had mounted is, and move it somewhere else on the drive so the Daemon cannot auto-mount it. You can also turn off the option to automount.

Is it a specific type of protection causing this?

Monkey_Magic
14.12.2006, 21:34
I have been using DT for a long time without problems (4.00). I recently built a new machine and now I have this issue regardless of the version of DT I instal. I have tried 4.00, 4.06 and the new 4.08, all of hich cause my machine to hang on reboot betwen the Welcome screen and the desktop loading). Somebody please help as I have a stack of images that I can no longer use.. Thanks

David Klassen
17.12.2006, 08:27
This sort of program is not something everyone should install.
A Warning to the user would be a VERY BIG help (ie. choosing to install this might make your computer unusable.)

LocutusofBorg
17.12.2006, 09:25
this is normally no problem, as we help people here then to
bring the system back to the state as it was before DT was
installed. However, in that case EVERY driver-software needs
to include this warning. Given the fact, that you're "in Linux"
since 98 I assume (but could be wrong of course) that you're
a "poweruser" or at least experienced. Although you seemed to
have bad experiences with our software, especially people
like you should know that drivers are a DEEP modification, not
comparable to "normal" applications.

And frankly spoken: compared to the users that post here
about problems and that one's that rant and spew and run
amok to tell us how shitty our application is - it is only few
that have a problem. But as DT is so widely used, it is "normal"
that it SEEMS as if many people run into trouble, when in fact
it is a small number only.

Please also keep in mind, that you have alot of different hard-
ware in every system and - other as "normal" software
(example: does one game take notice of another one? Do
they have to "play together"? No! -> unlike drivers!) we have
to be carefully determine every possible configuration which
can be "unstable".

We are far away from being perfect, however, our experience
showed us (yes, we DO talk to other developers in same
"area" and also "observe" similar other apps) that others
have exact the same probs, too.

Jfyi: We have had HUNDREDS of workarounds for bugs WE
are not responsible for! regardless if it is some AntiVirus, who,
against all rules!!! try to access to processes directly and not
use "usual terms" and therefore made system unstable (yes,
this happend with one specific scanner - others used "official"
methods and no, it was not even an extremely good scanner)
or other drivers, that are - sorry for my harsh words here -
poorly developed (like f.e. some hdd-drivers for external
NAS-storage-devices) and and and, the list is endless. Hell,
we found even software on a wellknown manufacturer-system
preinstalled that manipulate DIRECTLY every driver, so this
MUST lead to probs, especially if one create a driver that
protects itself against such bad behaviour.

To make a long story short:

When user run into trouble, HERE is the best adress to iron
it out and we guarantee to help you to AT LEAST remove
DT. Only because you had "a nearly heartattack" give you not
the right to post in such a manner as if we would not know
what we do. And most users KNOW that DT is not just soft-
ware, it is a driver, goddamn. Of course it is ALWAYS risky
to install drivers. I often saw systems that got inaccessable
or BSOD's because of installed drivers.
I'm only a little bit dissapointed because YOU should know that.
At least when you are who I think you are. I could be
wrong of course. Then I apologize for my assumptions and
hope the above explanation shed some light to WHY it is
MAYBE possible that your system becomes unbootable.
However: we can bring you back to your system in NO time.
If you only let us. And yes. We will include such disclaimer
maybe really soon, so that people like you are warned in case
they didnt even know already before. Next time, boot into
safemode and press "cancel" when system asks if it should
stop to load sptd.sys - then remove sptd from system and
boot into normal windows again. 99&#37; of problems then solved.

And now do me a favor and post at all boards worldwide to
be carefull when installing drivers from other manufacturers
as well (HP-printerdriver e.g. wrecked my system, too!),
same for alot of other drivers, including ATI's graphic-
drivers or audiodrivers for soundcards, or usb-cards. Or
NAS-storage-drivers. And and and.

15 million downloads and believe me: we receive alot of feed-
back from big companys who use DT - there are probs, too.
But compared to the systems that run flawlessly....

We do our best to iron out bug after bug where WE are responsible
and even that one's where other companys are responsible.
We invested tons of time to make DT as compatible as possible.
Read through the forum here and you will see that I do not
lie to you. In case of hardware-incompatibility, we bought
TONS of hardware, especially exotic one's to make sure that
DT runs on such systems also. We are really (mostly) nice
and helpfull here, however, it is hard to be nice and help-
full sometimes. Read through the forum - you will find prove
that we often do really our best, you even do not have to pay
us - it only seems, this is not enough for you :(

sorry for your bad experiences with DaemonTools. I apologize
for your experiences and hopefully, you will find out that we
ARE nice and helpfull and do not try to "wreck" your system.
Believe it or not: That was NOT our intention when we created
DT.

just my 2cent.

LocutusofBorg
17.12.2006, 09:37
btw: because someone asks - this is the posting that Mr.
Klassen made in other board where he explained to us, why
he is so pissed off by our software - I doubt that with such
attitude he would even receive help on other vendor's websites
- really, I highly doubt it. In fact, it is questionable if my whole
reply even was worth to write or if I should have better saved
my time for other people that are really interested to be part
of the solution and not the problem :(

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/big-warning-message-t15350.html?p=75383#post75383

jsgksu
21.12.2006, 00:56
I cannot start my computer at all. If I try to boot normally, it hangs up in the windows xp screen. If I go in safe mode, it gives me the option of escaping from loading sptd.sys and vax347b.sys

Like 5 minutes ago I cancelled the loading of both of them in safe mode and am just gonna let my comp sit there for a few hours if I have to, to see if it works. If that doesnt, before I go to bed I guess Ill have to try letting them load in safe mode while I sleep and hope my comp is working in the morning.

I also tried putting in my Windows XP disc, and it just goes to a blue screen, loads a bunch of hardware and software drivers, then says its loading windows, or something to that effect, and it freezes up again.

If someone has a way to fix this so I can actually turn on my computer and then get these files and Alcohol removed from my computer I will ecstatic. I have no idea what to do at this point, 2.5 hours with Microsoft tech support couldnt help, Im normally the one my friends call with computer questions but now Im finding I cant even help myself out. PLEASE HELP!

Jito463
21.12.2006, 04:39
I responded to your other post in the Alcohol forums (assuming you're the same user, but the post looks the same). However, you didn't mention that you tried booting from the Windows CD in that post. If that's the case, and it's still locking up, then there's something physically wrong with your computer. No software, regardless of what it does, can interfere with your system when you boot directly from the Windows CD.

Battlestar
02.01.2007, 17:10
Hi guys,
I have a 'temporary' solution for the SPTD.sys problem that worked for me.
The problem keeps returning once in a while, so i hope there will be a perminant solution soon.

I had the same problem with starting XP and the SPTD.sys error. I also couldn't use the XP Recovery, this also gives an error.

The way i fixed the problem was by using an Ultimate Boot CD i luckily had. On this disk there were some tools to do a diskcheck. The full disk scan that took about an hour finaly returned an disk error. The repair took less then an second en when i rebooted everything was ok!

Like is said, once every few weeks this error returns.

I have:
SATA harddisk Maxtor 250 Gb
Deamontools 4.XX
XP PRO SP2

Good luck everyone with this problem.

Burningsheep
10.01.2007, 00:17
Second occurence happened apparently 'out of the blue' while I installed a nVidia driver. Wierd thing is that I installed a driver that I KNOW WORKED before on my system while I still had 3.47. It's the most stable driver version for my card (geforce 6600 from AOpen).

Since the install a couple of weeks ago (no reboots in that time) i have installed ... and nvidia 84.21 forceware drivers

Hi, same problem here with black screen. Now it started for me after installing nvidia drivers for my 6600 (same as switch's card and same happened to switch).From this I can assume theres a conflict between sptd.sys and the nvidia driver cause its the only thing i've installed in the last 2 weeks. i didn't even install updates to any programs including windows- auto updates being disabled- ...). Funny thing is my system only showed the symptoms like 85% of the time. oh and i installed nvidia 91.37 driver (this happened a while ago and was fixed by plugging in a new monitor; but happened to another one of my comps too after installing same driver so theres definately a conflict). 93.71 is out so i'll try that soon. Let you know how it went.

EDIT

DT 4.06HE And NVIDIA Forceware drivers v93.71 work flawlessly now. Also i'm not sure if the problem was fixed with 4.08 as I seem to have missed that update even though I visit the site often... Oops! Updating now :D

LocutusofBorg
10.01.2007, 01:19
93.71 defintley works flawlessly on 6 machines here together
with SPTD V1.39

Burningsheep
10.01.2007, 04:26
93.71 defintley works flawlessly on 6 machines here together
with SPTD V1.39

not sure if i have SPTD V1.39 but i do have DT v4.06HE and I did the NVIDIA driver update and It seems to have been fixed. I was just hesitant to try again because I didn't want my computer to go wacko again :D Anyways, It DOES work here with 93.71. So if anyone had problems with nvidia drivers, they seem to have been fixed! Hurray!

I don't know if the DT team is part of the fix but in case you are, thanks for the fix! (whenever it was done)...

calydon
25.02.2007, 09:54
I'm not sure if I can contribute any new info to this issue but I thought I'd sound in - build up some critical mass.

I don't use DT, but I have Alcohol 120. I also use Acronis True Image. I have a dual core processor, Windows XP x32, etc - similar to many posters here.

After a windows update, my computer hung at the logo screen (as has been described).
This problem is re-occuring with any other 'virtual drive' emulator that I use! I've tried PowerISO, UltraISO. The only one that is still working is Nero imagedrive, which I don't particularly like, since it only permits 2 virtual drives.

The first time I had this problem I logged in under 'debugging mode' and then removed sptd.sys and as many reg entries as I could. The next time (after installing UltraIso) I could only get back in through safe mode, and uninstalling UltraIso.

I can confidently state that my problem is related to disc drive emulation, and a windows update, maybe a security update, but I don't know which one (for x32). I'm not sure if it has anything to do with video drivers - I think the posters who have been able to fix the issue by changing theirs have a different, or similar problem, but not the same one.

I've tried most of the solutions proposed in this thread but none of them have worked yet. I'm going to try aaly's regedit proposal after this, but if you don't hear back - you can assume that I'm stuck with Nero for now.

calydon
25.02.2007, 12:03
It looks like what actually worked was following Karl's instructions (www.kkaf.net/sptdfix.htm) a little more closely - so Kudos to him!

Let's hope this problem stays gone...

autie
28.06.2007, 22:01
I recently installed Alcohol 120%.

I don't really see the real co-relation because my problem seems to be non-related to it as it started first two days ago, my audigy 2 zx stopped working, whereafter my integrated sound card (realtek asus k8n-e Deluxe) needed to be installed.

A few restarts later, usual use shut-down, my audigy card software is working again. So I ran the check, openend this baby up dusted and replaced and the the other card is working. I have my headphones on, decide to watch southpark so I reconnect my 2.1 speakers, awful noise they be, and chaching! no sound. Baffled as I am I figure I need to restart, I recall that the audigy software worked only after reinstalling the whole set of drivers, which meant a reboot.

Reboot and I get a blue screen also something about the registry being updated, no idea what that was....

And I log in, and i'm kicked right back out.

I have Nero, never use it, its basic on the pc, I had alcohol, used it once in the last 5 days, I don't recall it being in the startup items.

Anyway, how do you fix or change STPD.SYS, see my safe mode boot also gives me the same story, press esc blah blah.

I'd say it's windows updates, I feel my pc acting weird everytime, my pc was set up by a legit MSCE who uses legit versions of these OS no off the ent ripped items so I can't see why I have to be messed up by MCS... but I think its the latest "updates" they're unstable.

Please help with the stpd.sys, thnx.;)

LoRdAcId
20.08.2007, 20:38
So, I noticed the problem first when my computer would only boot 1/2 of the time. As time went on, it got worse and worse until I couldn't boot to windows at all unless I left the computer off overnight then tried again in the morning, where it would work once.

It would POST, show the windows loading splash, then it would go to a blank, black, screen and do nothing. Not HDD activity or anything. Safe mode would also not load, and it would stop on the vax347b.sys driver.

I cancelled the vax347b.sys loading (I think it's a feature of SP2 or some new XP patch), by pressing esc, loaded safe mode, renamed vax347b.sys to vax347b.sy_, rebooted normally (which WORKED this time), uninstalled Alcohol 120%, and the problem went away 100%!!!

Just thought I'd share this so others can remedy the problem. :D

Styler001
21.09.2007, 04:09
Well, I've read through this whole topic, and haven't seen anyone tell how to get past this problem.

I can't start windows no matter what method I choose: safe mode, last known good, NOTHING. I have tried EVERY method available. Even a restore with the Windows installation CD.

Trying to boot in safe mode and letting SPTD.sys load freezes me up. Trying to boot in safe mode and escaping the SPTD.sys load freezes me up. The most I will see is the Windows XP splash screen, then it goes to the BSOD with the error about SPTD.

If I try to use the Windows installation CD (either as a new installation or a restore), it loads all of the drivers, then goes to the next screen where it's "examining" my hard drive. There is no indication that it is doing anything, and leaving it "examine" for an hour or more doesn't help.

So, I've tried everything (that I can) from this thread, but no one has said how to get past this problem that many people have asked about.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Styler001
21.09.2007, 21:19
Sorry for the double post, but I didn't see any way to edit my previous message.

I got my issue resolved last night. All I did was logged into this site (on my laptop since I couldn't use the desktop PC):

http://www.free-av.com/

and downloaded their Avira NTFS4DOS Personal software.

I installed their boot disk utilities onto a 3.5" floppy (my laptop only has a CD/DVD reader), took it to the desktop PC and fired it up, then just ran the CHKDSK program and let it fix any errors it found. I just ran it twice to be sure it caught everything. When it was done, I just rebooted and held my breath. It worked. All was right in the world again. :)

The original message I got from my computer when I displayed the BSOD was that the SPTD driver was trying to make an image that was pageable when it could only be non-pageable (or something like that). I don't know why that would keep me from being able to log in completely, but oh, well.

This may be a simplistic approach to the fix, but it worked. I also deleted the SYS file (I only had one, not two like you guys have mentioned). Just to be sure things are OK, I've since rebooted a few times with no ill effects.

Thanks for this topic. While it may not have fixed my problem, it did point me in other directions to consider.

Sphagnum
04.11.2007, 15:13
Hi all! :)

I found the problems fix that leads to reboot and hung your system after installing a daemon and SPTD layer.
I found it at the forum.duplexsecure.com

The problem was only with sptd layer. To fix it, you need to do next simple things:

Uninstall all software using SPTD layer (e.g. Alcohol, Daemon Tools), open registry editor (execute regedit) and go to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd
change the Start value to 4 (disabled), and reboot.
After reboot delete the whole sptd key in services hive. If you get error message about permissions enable all permissions on cfg key first.
Execute 1.42 stand-alone installer then to install SPTD, reboot, then run 1.42 installer again. If it says no SPTD version detected, do NOT install Alcohol etc., we've to ensure correct SPTD layer installation first.
If r0 key exists after reboot, delete it (in sptd key).

Thx to Digger (administrator http://forum.duplexsecure.com)

After doing that I installed Daemon without rebooting my pc, and everything works fine.

Jito463
05.11.2007, 17:46
SPTD 1.42 is old. 1.50 is the current version, and there's a 1.51 public beta version available for download now.

Sphagnum
06.11.2007, 14:19
SPTD 1.42 is old. 1.50 is the current version, and there's a 1.51 public beta version available for download now.

My mistake. I forgot to edit message. I copy that from other forum. :)

To download 1.5 go here www.duplexsecure.com

eclipse4227
15.01.2008, 04:54
my desktop running windows 2000 pro will not start in safe mode or normal mode b/c it is missing sptd.sys

if i let it start up w/o going into advanced settings, it gvies me a blue screen with this message:

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Refer to your Getting Starting manual for more information on troubleshooting Stop errors."

however, i cant start the os at all and cant find my microsoft disks

all of microsofts updates are auto installed
no recent crashes
most recent downloaded software: vlc media player
recently uninstalled daemon tools
anti-virus program runs once a week or so
AVG ^ includes anti trojan i think

Development
16.01.2008, 01:51
Windows 2000 cannot fail start just because sptd.sys is missing. In that case it will simply ignore it and continue boot.
In your case you seem to have some other problem.