SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

First of all, i did read the thread about sptd and remove DT. I had that problem, removed DT 4 and computer booted ok. But is there any way to fix it, or I can't use DT anymore? Any attempt to restore the sys file leads to a non-bootable machine. DT worked just fine before, this error happened out of nowhere after I was using DT 4 for about a month or two. Moreover, i downgraded to 3.47 and now computer fails to boot because of dt347bus.sys, so i had to remove that version too. Is there any fix to this or is DT just not going to work on my machine anymore. And why was it working before?

Thank you!

If your machine doesn't boot with SPTD in place please give the full and exact error or message you see. Enable the saving of minidumps to the Windows\Minidump folder (hopefully its already enabled) and then contact us so we can receive such file.

What OS and Service Pack do you use? Antivirus software? A list of all your burning programs, etc....
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Me too...

Yeah, I was having the same problem with SPTD.sys. I also had it with vax347b.sys (It's part of Alcohol 120%) so I'm pretty much screwed out of emulation at the moment. I know how to fix the problem when my comp won't boot, but can we even use it at all now? I'm running Windows XP Home (so not x64) with SP 2. I'm using AVG Free antivirus and Nero 7 Ultimate for burning. I've tried Daemon 3.47, 4.0.0, and 4.0.3, and also Alcohol 120% 1.9.5.3105 but they all prevent my comp from booting past the Windows XP splash screen. I've looked everywhere, but daemon only tells me how to get my comp to boot again. But what now? I'm without an emulator and LAN's are fine with alcohol... as long as I don't try to reboot. Then I have to rename the file, then rename it again. Daemon won't work at all though. Underheaven, whatever help you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks lots. Oh, and I'll check the minidump folder.

Comment

There is no error message just hangs after Windows loading screen goes away. When reboot in safe mode, allows to ESC out of loading most recently added driver.

System:
        WinXP SP2 nLited
        Nero 6.6.0.18
        Symantec Corp Antivirus 10

The worst part is that nothing changed as far as i can remember, it just started for no reason after one of many reboots. No new soft installed, didnt upgrade DT, nothing, it was working, and now even the old version doesn't work.

Comment

Originally Posted by joshery420
          Yeah, I was having the same problem with SPTD.sys. I also had it with vax347b.sys (It's part of Alcohol 120%) so I'm pretty much screwed out of emulation at the moment. I know how to fix the problem when my comp won't boot, but can we even use it at all now? I'm running Windows XP Home (so not x64) with SP 2. I'm using AVG Free antivirus and Nero 7 Ultimate for burning. I've tried Daemon 3.47, 4.0.0, and 4.0.3, and also Alcohol 120% 1.9.5.3105 but they all prevent my comp from booting past the Windows XP splash screen. I've looked everywhere, but daemon only tells me how to get my comp to boot again. But what now? I'm without an emulator and LAN's are fine with alcohol... as long as I don't try to reboot. Then I have to rename the file, then rename it again. Daemon won't work at all though. Underheaven, whatever help you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks lots. Oh, and I'll check the minidump folder.
          How did this start for you? Same as me, out of nowhere? Or did you upgrade daemon-tools and than it started? Did you install something? I installed a few games before I restarted:
          Cold Fear, already uninstalled.
          AOE3
          Sniper Elite
          Warld War -- Tactical COmbat

Do you have any of those too?

Comment

100% here...

I have the exact same problems. Except that Alcohol 120% worked for about 2 weeks, then messed up. Daemon however just suddenly stopped working one day and it hasn't worked since. I've tried upgrading/downgrading the versions, but the same thing. If someone knows how to disable the windows Kernel Debugger, that would help. That is what it says when you install Daemon. Something like "Warning! SPTD is a scsi bus driver that is not compatible with kernel debuggers." or something to that extent. First off, why the hell do we even NEED a scsi bus driver? If someone knows how to disable the Kernel Debugger, that would certainly be a lot of help.

Comment

Well, u need a SCSI driver to create drives without restarting, and you probably don't have any kernel debugger installed, so I don't think that's the problem. Cmon guys, i'm sure there is more than two people having this problem if it's a sticky in common section.

I can't play any of my games without DT, please somebody, help!
              I'll love you forever!!!

Comment

More details about the problem

I noticed two more things. First of all, there's no error message, like I said before, it seems the driver goes into an infinite loop. It does this right after the windows loading screen dissapears (the one with the bar running from left to right.) Another thing is, it tries to access my real dvd-drive right before. I don't know if this helps, but I would be forever grateful to a person who could suggest the solution, fix the driver, or at least tell me why it started happening out of nowhere!

Thank You!!!

Comment

sorry...

I hadn't done ANYTHING... wait, yes I did. I installed a new skin for Firefox and King Kong. Both are gone, but the problem persists. I'm pretty much screwed out of Emulation b/c of this damn problem. And because XP can't get past the splash screen when it boots with sptd.sys installed, it won't make a minidump like they want. So I've got nothing to go on. Anything change with you daq?

Comment

Which Daemon Tools version do you use? King Kong is protected by Starforce, probably the prosync1.sys driver is causing the problem, Daemon Tools v4.03 contains a workaround for problems with Starforce drivers.
                    So remove prosync1.sys (if still present) - you can also try the Starforce removal tool mentioned in thread about BSOD in SCSIPORT.SYS in common problems and solutions forum.
                    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Still nothing

I've tried the starforce removal utility, it found nothing as I expected, i watch my system very carefully for malware like that. Other than that, still no change, I'm also screwed out of emulation! I just had to find no-cd cracks for the games I really want to play, others are waiting for a fix.

It's really strange though that there are no workarounds, I'm sure there's more people that are having this problem, DT is probably on every other computer on this planet.

Comment

I have the EXACT same problem. The system 'hangs' on startup. Can only be booted in safe mode by pressing ESC to avoid loading the SPTD driver. There is absolutely NO ERROR whatsoever. Same happens with the 3.47 driver or the alcohol 120 driver. This only happened AFTER installing 4.03 and using it for a while.

First occurence was when I tried to reinstall my copy of Indigo Prophecy from my 100% accurate backup images. The install would just hang after the second cd was mounted and at the next reboot the sptd problem would arise.

Second occurence happened apparently 'out of the blue' while I installed a nVidia driver. Wierd thing is that I installed a driver that I KNOW WORKED before on my system while I still had 3.47. It's the most stable driver version for my card (geforce 6600 from AOpen).

I've had a thread about this a few days ago, nobody seem to care. Seems like more and more people are having the same problems. Might be a problem with DT 4.x after all...

Comment

Thnx for the help copytrooper, but prosync1.sys isn't there. King Kong and everything with it is gone now. If people haven't understood this already, this problem appears to be happening with daemon 3.47, 4.00, and 4.03. ALL of them. Not just 4.xx versions. That is why it's so confusing. I can't find anything that would cause this problem out of the blue. I'll try to remove starforce drivers like you said, then I'll get back to u guys.

Comment

I for one DO NOT have and never DID have StarForce on my system, yet I still encountered these problems just like everyone else posting here...

Comment

Originally Posted by joshery420
                              I have the exact same problems. Except that Alcohol 120% worked for about 2 weeks, then messed up. Daemon however just suddenly stopped working one day and it hasn't worked since. I've tried upgrading/downgrading the versions, but the same thing. If someone knows how to disable the windows Kernel Debugger, that would help. That is what it says when you install Daemon. Something like "Warning! SPTD is a scsi bus driver that is not compatible with kernel debuggers." or something to that extent. First off, why the hell do we even NEED a scsi bus driver? If someone knows how to disable the Kernel Debugger, that would certainly be a lot of help.

What I did when I had a "turn off kernel debugger" message was open My Computer Properties, click the advanced tab, click the startup and recovery setting button, and change the option for system core dump to [none]. Then I rebooted and Voila!

Comment

Working...
                              X