SPTD and Deep Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPTD and Deep Freeze

When I installed Daemon tools it was saying something about Kernal Debugging etc etc, i realize that windows has all that in administrative tools.

what exactly does Deamon tools change, because im using a program called Deep Freeze and it does use those same things. And when I install Iomega 250 zip drive and Daemon Tools + Deep Freeze my drive gets disable for some reason.

Can anyone give me an obivous answer why they could be all conflicting with eachother?

im not certain but maybe they are accessing the same things within administrative tools to get that drive working.

If anyone has some insight as to what is going on, i would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance

Re: my drive gets disable

What does "my drive gets disable" mean? Please clarify.

"administrative tools" is just a windows folder. It is not something that programs access. Are you using a desktop or a laptop? What other burning programs do you currently or have ever installed on your system? What OS and Service Pack are you using (32 or 64-bit)? What kind of processor do you have (hyperthreading, dual-core, clock speed, etc)?

Are both of the following scenarios correct?
    Scenario 1: Iomega Zip 250MB drive works fine, you install Deep Freeze, result is the zip drive doesn't work or "gets disable"

Scenario 2: Iomega Zip 250MB drive works fine, you install DAEMON Tools version 4.03 result is the zip drive doesn't work or "gets disable"
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

My Iomegaware zip drive just drops when i have both programs installed. it means that it does not show up in windows when i try and access the drive. for example when i go into my computer and look for the drive its not there anymore.

I have tried uninstalling daemon tools reinstalling iomegaware drives 4.0.2 with deep freeze disabled, but it still doesnt work

i have to uninstall deamon tools and deep freeze in order for my zip drive to start working again

im trying to figure out what could be the cause of this issue, im thinking both of the programs are using something that iomegaware uses also, then kicks out there driver and replaces it with either daemon tools or deep freezes software

Deep Freeze basically works as software that freezes the computer and you cant make any changes to the system while deep freeze is installed. it does some very low level kernal stuff that other programs cant touch.

thanks for the reply by the way i appreciate it

Comment

does anyone else have any idea what could be happening.

Comment

Daemon Tools: Iomega Zip Drive: Deep Freeze

Hi,
          When Daemon Tools is installed, it installs a .sys file.

C:\windows\system32\drivers\sptd.sys

If you then install the Deep Freeze seed, you are still OK. If you install the DF Workstation, your ZIP drive letter will be deleted and the ZIP drive will disappear from the MyComputer window.

Attempting to assign a drive letter through Disk Manager does not work properly.

If you completely remove Workstation and seed from the computer, the Zip drive will reappear.

If you attempt to Uninstall Daemon Tools, something curious happens. The program does not stop and uninstall the 'SPTD' service it installed AND it doesn't tell you this!

If you are not using this service for anything else in your computer (which I am not), you can simply delete the file and reboot the computer and your ZIP drive will reappear.

You can now Freeze your computer, however Daemon Tools has been removed and won't work.

I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you, only what I have found so far. You could contact faronics to see of they have found a solution. When I checked, they had not.

I'm here on the forum trying to find answers myself.

If anyone on the forum knows why this file is interfering with the Zip drive or Deep Freeze (which is a disk management utility). I'd appreciate it as well.

Thanks,

Jim_D,

Comment

I don't have an answer for your problem, but I wanted to clarify something you mentioned above. The reason DT does not remove SPTD is because it's simply an ASPI layer and DT has no way of knowing if it was installed before DT was or not or if there's another program that may be using it. Given that the DT team didn't want to uninstall something that may be needed by another program, they choose to leave the ASPI layer installed.

Comment

zyx I'd like to help you, could you please answer all the questions posed from my second paragraph above?
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

My Setup

I have embedded my answers below.

What does "my drive gets disable" mean? Please clarify.
                When the computer reboots, it appears as though the drive letter associated with that device has been removed. With no drive letter associated with that device, windows does not list it in the MyComputer window. If you right-click on MyComputer and select manage, then select DiskManagement. In the display, the Zip drive is listed correctly as a device. DeviceManager shows the driver is there. If you right-click on the Zip drive and assign it a drive letter, windows seems to accept it and on some machines, it will allow you to double click on it at that time to see the contents of the drive.

However, when you exit DiskManagement and attempt to access that drive letter, it is still missing and you still have no access to it.

"administrative tools" is just a windows folder. It is not something that programs access. Are you using a desktop or a laptop?
                This is a desktop computer with a internal Zip drive connected to the parallel IDE controller, with a SATA HDD.

What other burning programs do you currently or have ever installed on your system?
                This particular machine has Roxio EZ CD Creator on it as well as Several Adobe Product, including Encore DVD and Pinnacle Studios AV/DV. Now, before everyone dog-piles on me about removing all these programs, let me share with you that I have Roxio installed on many computers and it is coexisting with the Zip Drive and Deep Freese just fine. As a matter of fact, I started with a computer that had the program loaded and a computer that didn't have it loaded with the same results. It just doesn't seem to be the problem in this case.

What OS and Service Pack are you using (32 or 64-bit)?
                Windows XP Professional w/SP2 32-bit, with all the latest hotfixes and updates from both microsoft and the latest drivers from the hardware vendors.

What kind of processor do you have (hyperthreading, dual-core, clock speed, etc)?
                The computer has a Intel P4 2.8 Ghz processor, single core. with 2 GB of RAM, not dual channel.

Are both of the following scenarios correct?
                Scenario 1: Iomega Zip 250MB drive works fine, you install Deep Freeze, result is the zip drive doesn't work or "gets disable"
                See above and my previous post.

Scenario 2: Iomega Zip 250MB drive works fine, you install DAEMON Tools version 4.03 result is the zip drive doesn't work or "gets disable"
                Scenario 2 is not accurate, in that the ZIP drive and Daemon Tools coexist just fine. The problem seems to be with a conflict between the device driver being used and the ZIP drive and Deep Freeze.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Jim_D,

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463
                  I don't have an answer for your problem, but I wanted to clarify something you mentioned above. The reason DT does not remove SPTD is because it's simply an ASPI layer and DT has no way of knowing if it was installed before DT was or not or if there's another program that may be using it. Given that the DT team didn't want to uninstall something that may be needed by another program, they choose to leave the ASPI layer installed.
                  I appreciate your clarification. If that is the purpose, that is the purpose. I won't argue the point.

I will say however, the fact that when I run the uninstall program for an application; the fact that it leaves something behind, without telling me or giving me the option to remove it also, cost me hours of investigatory work. HOURS!

Perhaps this might be a future enhancement to the uninstall program.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jim_D
                    I appreciate your clarification. If that is the purpose, that is the purpose. I won't argue the point.

I will say however, the fact that when I run the uninstall program for an application; the fact that it leaves something behind, without telling me or giving me the option to remove it also, cost me hours of investigatory work. HOURS!

Perhaps this might be a future enhancement to the uninstall program.
                    Do you think it's hopefull that you are grumbling if there isn't an answer for a post after 5 MINUTES? I understand that the problem is annoying, but give the admins a fair chance to answer your question.
                    My system
                    Boycott Starforce!
                    Wiederstand ist zwecklos! Ihr Assis werdet miliert!

Comment

Originally Posted by vatras90
                      Do you think it's hopefull that you are grumbling if there isn't an answer for a post after 5 MINUTES? I understand that the problem is annoying, but give the admins a fair chance to answer your question.
                      I think you may have misinterpreted my reply. I was not grumbling at anyone posting or not posting or helping or not helping.

I was referring to the uninstall program not pointing out that it was purposefully leaving services installed and up and running when I specifically told the program to uninstall.

No, I certainly appreciate everyone's help and perspective.

Comment

mind testing DAEMON Tools 4.00?

Jim_D, if you get a chance I wonder if you could test this with DAEMON Tools version 4.00? You would uninstall DAEMON Tools 4.03 then run "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" after downloading SPTDinst X86 from the downloads section of this website, reboot, then install DAEMON Tools 4.00 and see if that version also conflicts with Deep Freeze (once your done you can obviously upgrade back up to 4.03 and a newer version of SPTD). If you have any version information or patch numbers or service packs for Deep Freeze that would be great too.

I'm going to rename this thread too, Deep Freeze isn't even mentioned in the title.
                        the modern world:
                        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I can confirm conflict exist in both 4.00 and 4.03 versions of Dtools

Comment

Just spoke with Faronics

I just got off the phone with Faronics, maker of Deep Freeze, and they know about the problem and "have a test lab set up to find a solution." She seemed to think it will be in the next release of Deep Freeze. For now, I'm going to down grade to DT 3.47 till there's a solution.

And I can understand where Jim_D is coming from. It took me a full day to figure out what the problem was because I emilinated DT as a cause because the problem remained after I uninstalled it. But I should have noticed the service running. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

hey everyone sorry about the late response.

I I figured out that the newest version of DT isn't working with our product Deep Freeze.

I have sent the machine to the developers to look at it and to come up with a resolution to this.

Also Alcohol 120 does not working with Deep Freeze either.

DT and Alcohol 120 is using a low level driver which is conflicting with other software such as Deep Freeze.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the ASPI drivers that are running on the machine. I'm not certain though.

The solution if you're using DT with Deep Freeze is to roll back to DT version 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X