New user needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user needs help

Hi, I just installed DT 4.03 on XP Pro with SP2. It looks like a good program but I don't understand some things. I wouldn't bother you with such basic stuff except that when I click on "manual" (under options) it tries to take me to a web page that doesn't exist (maybe it's meant to take me to http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/daemonhelp.php instead?) and so it just gives me an error.

Anyway, the above link doesn't answer my questions either, so here goes.

1. Under Options: what do "Secure Mode", "Automount", and "InUse Check" do?

2. When mounting: for images which are more than one file (such as Bin/Cue), which one do I mount? Does it matter? What if I only have one of the two files (such as only Bin)?

Much thanks,

Tim

1. Secure Mode protects Daemon Tools against any unauthorized access,
    Automount mounts the images after reboot automatically. i.e. if Automount is disabled, all drives will be "empty" after reboot,
    InUse Check is a global check of open handles, so you get an info message if e.g. some program/process has open handles on the related drive (e.g. during unmount). If you disable this option (default) the behavior is like in v3.4x and previous versions.

2. CDRWin bin/cue images are mounted via related cue-sheet only. You can try to mount the bin directly (as iso then), but this is NOT recommended, and will fail if the image contains 2 or more tracks, thus the cue-sheet is required.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Thank you, that clears up some things. A few more questions though and I should be all set...

1. When I totally exit DT, the virtual drive still exists in Explorer. Even if I then reboot without autostarting DT, the virtual drive is still there. Is all this normal?

2. About that "open handles" thing -- I'm glad that's in there, but when I'm doing a multi-CD install (well really a multi-ISO install with DT), are these installation programs usually smart enough to close all handles on disk 1 before they have you go to disk 2?

3. What kind of unauthorized access protection do you mean with secured mode protection? Is that some kind of hacker protection, like maybe ensuring that DT functions respond only to the DT control panel? Or maybe you mean something else.

4. Finally, the option to see the manual -- is that supposed to take me to the link I mentioned above? If that's the case, I don't really care that the link is broken because I can get to that site directly. I'm just wondering if there's some other manual somewhere that I can't see.

Comment

1. Yes, Daemon tray icon is just front end (GUI), the virtual devices are managed by driver, so if you don't want the virtual devices, disable them via menu, then exit DT.
        2. Usually you don't have to care about that, if you'd eject a real cd the installation won't encounter any problems, neither from image. So if you get the info message with InUse check enabled, just press ignore.
        3. E.g. unauthorized access like images getting unmounted and/or emulations being disabled by some protections.
        4. Yes, for the future a complete new manual is planned.
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Great explanations, thank you very much. DT rocks!

Comment

Working...
          X