Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange Safedisc 4 ?

the problem:

last year i bought lord of the rings: battle for middle earth and made an image with alcohol to play it with DT, works perfect, then i burned the images files (mds and mdf) with nero at a dvd for archive. yesterday i want to copy these files back to my harddisk to play again and directly i just got an crc error. i think, ok, one yerar old dvd, could happen, so i make a new image from original (again works perfect), burn these files on dvd and try to copy back to harddisk, same problem, crc error
    i´ve tried it on an other machine with an other dvd burner and other programm for burning, and once again crc error if i tried to copy the files back..

next i try making an image from fifa 2006 which also have safedisc 4 on dvd and again, new created image on harddisk works, copy from folder to folder no problems, copy it to dvd, copy files back... crc error on new dvd.
    evertime i burned the image files to a dvd i cannot copy them back to harddisk and it seems i´ve the problems only with safedisc 4 dvd games, with securom dvd´s or starforce or just data dvd´s there no problem at all..

someone knows what happened here?
    Last edited by Iceman®; 28.01.2006, 22:22.

Nero can burn .MDS/.MDF files?! Try creating and burning with a program other than nero, ex. Alcohol or BlindWrite
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

No, he means that he burn the *mdf and *mds as a Data DVD, nothing more.

Did you do much things like running programs and surfing at the same time when you are burning ? This cause also CRC errors on lower maschines.
      You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
      sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

no, i didn´t..for example, a copy of fear (with securom) or splinter cell 3 (starforce) works without problems if i copied the files back to harddisk...that´s what i can´t believe..

if i use winrar to archive the 2 files and burn it, it works..if i make a copy with blindwrite, burn these files on dvd, it works..but only alcohol dvd files with safedisc protection fails..

safedisc 4 images on cd works as well..

Comment

When you burn the image to DVD then copy that image back to your hardisk the attributes will have been changed to 'Read Only' try unchecking the 'Read Only' box in the file attributes.

Just a thought ? :wink:

Comment

Weak sector pWned image?

How did u burn the image? Mode1/2, UDF?
            When Hell is full,
            the dead will walk the earth

Comment

That's a good thought `gsds`. Does Safedisc use weak sectors on DVDs?
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

As i don't get any read errors while making images from SD4 DVDs i think they must use weak sectors.
                When Hell is full,

Comment

This reminds me of the sheep test, especially the 3 sheep one
                  Burning the patterns was never a problem, but it always failed to read them back.

Comment

@iceman: i store my images like you do and i never had problems. what burner / dvd+-r do you use?

Comment

i used a benq dw1640 and a sony dru-500 for testing on different machines with different dvd+r and dvd+rw , the result ist the same..

settings in nero are udf (because file size is bigger than 2 gb), physical partition, typ 1.02

@joeboy

read only does not matter, you can set the files to read only already on harddisk and you can copy it wherever you want, you can mount it, play, works...

the crc errors are always directly at the beginning from the dvd, i can see it in alcohol if i try to copy the backup dvd.

but the weak sektors generally couldnґt be affect the image file anymore cause they are only in the image, right ? or iґam doing a mistake in a logical sequence of thoughts ?

iґve found a thread in a german board, whereґs someone which had exactly the same problem with nfsmw..what should i say, either a safedisc game on dvd..

Comment

Was just trying to think what would have changed after burning to dvd ........... just clutching at straws really! sometimes it's the simplest things that cause the biggest problems

Comment

I think i had / heared about this problem long time ago. Until yet i never burned any Images (as file or as cd) of any SD Version higher than 3.2.

I suggest u try UDF2.01 with a DVD+RW. If this also fails, Macrovision did a good job.

OT: If weak sectors are burned, the 8->14 modulation fails, the sectors are broken. Would it possible to recalculate the original value? Does the value of the broken sector change if a different drive is used?(1, 2, 3 Sheep Burner) What happen to the "correct efm errors" feature of Alcohol, CloneCD, etc.?
                          When Hell is full,

Comment

But weak sectors are not actually stored as weak sectors in the image but as meta data describing those weak sectors, aren't they? I mean I cannot imagine there's any way to actually write weak sectors to your hard drive...?
                            "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

I think if this were actually a problem there would be more than one user writing about it. The Lord of the Rings, The Battle For Middle-earth has been out for at least 12 months and nobody has reported a problem like this.
                              the modern world:
                              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
                              X