PDA

View Full Version : Assign Drive Letter from Commandline

crubb
21.11.2002, 16:44
Hey!
Damon Tools selects F: as it's virtual drive by default on install (first free drive letter);
INSERT INTO `portal_posts_text` VALUES
but the problem is that F: is later mapped as a network volume (can't change that, too many programs depending on it).

Thereforce it would be nice if I could assign a new drive letter for the virtual cdrom via commandline before it maps the network drives, or optionally have a registry entry and/or .ini file. (so that non-admins can have their drive letters change as well, haven't tried that yet...)

mfg,
crubb

crubb
21.11.2002, 17:07
From your download pages..

"DAEMON Tools drive letter changer is a small tool to change the drive letters of the D-Tools virtual STEALTH DVDROM devices. Please mail the author if you have problems or suggestions regarding this program.
Visit NARS' homepage."

I don't have a windows machine here, but the README states that this works in Windows 9x/ME only (we're running Windows NT 4 Workstation). So I suppose it's a GUI, which wouldn't help much. Can anyone verify that ?

mfg,
crubb

Captain Caveman
21.11.2002, 22:59
I'd like to see an option during the Install on selecting the Drive Letter.

I always use the the last letters of the alphabet as my CDRom/Virtual Drives.. but whenever installing a new version of Daemon-Tools it always goes back to the first drive letter available which is annoying.

Either keep the current config.. or allow the user to select the letter during install.

SwENSkE
21.11.2002, 23:00
The latest version takes the next FREE letter! You'd know if you read the news on our main page!

crubb
21.11.2002, 23:08
Well yes, I did read that, the only problem ist at the point of the (proposed automated) installation, Drive F: is not mapped just yet.

(I'll be installing it using a Windows NT Service, i.e. it'll be installed before a user logs on, i.e. drive F: appears free. And for automated Installation an option where you can choose the drive letter is no good, at least c:\daemon.msi /q REBOOT=Supress won't work anymore (i suppose) :))

isn't there a way of easily implenting daemon.exe -letter 0,G: ? I mean you already have it in your GUI, I suppose you might just need to call some specific function ? :)

mfg,
crubb

Development
21.11.2002, 23:13
Installation cannot be performed before user logon - it executes under admin account only.

SwENSkE
21.11.2002, 23:18
Same for changing drive letter! Anyway - where's the problem to manually assign a drive letter after installation. After next reboot all problems are solved. Not a big deal IMO!

Captain Caveman
21.11.2002, 23:24
Sure, changing the drive letter is easy.

However.. using the previous configuration is even easier!

Simplicity is always a nice feature in software.. IMO.

SwENSkE
21.11.2002, 23:38
If possible.....and also simple to implement :roll:

crubb
21.11.2002, 23:42
Well trust me, I have worked out a way to do that installation, I can post a (german) document about that if you'd like me to. It involves KIX (a script interpreter well suited for login scripts);
AppToService (to run the installation with service privileges);
a couple of scripts and kixcrypt.exe :)

I need to do everything automatic, as there are way more clients around than I want to walk up to. Leaving the user to that task is no option, our users are way dumber than average. So i could change the drive letter via that service installer thingy as well - easily, if there's a command line switch)

What I hope to later do is provide the user with a batch on his desktop which first mounts an image on a server (I'm sure you noticed the Linux cd server article in a recent c't);
and then runs the appropriate program (klicktel or whatever, which might just need a modified autorun.inf).

mfg,
crubb

Jaime
22.11.2002, 17:18
You can set drive letters programmatically with BTEWin, the script interpreter that is provided with the Virtual Desktop / Vdesk package that can be found on the Daemon Tools web page.

The appropiate command is daemonletter device, letter .

Example: daemonletter 0, X:

Development
22.11.2002, 17:40
Yeah, just forgot to mention that. Thanks, Jaime. Nice work.

Adandu
18.03.2009, 08:38
From your download pages..

"DAEMON Tools drive letter changer is a small tool to change the drive letters of the D-Tools virtual STEALTH DVDROM devices. Please mail the author if you have problems or suggestions regarding this program.
Visit NARS' homepage."

I don't have a windows machine here, but the README states that this works in Windows 9x/ME only (we're running Windows NT 4 Workstation). So I suppose it's a GUI, which wouldn't help much. Can anyone verify that ?

mfg,
crubb

Can u please link the download for the dive letter changer? I couldnt find it on the deamon tools website.

Ty!

VIRII
17.04.2014, 10:18
http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/how-change-drive-letter-daemon-tools-without-gui-36162/

fun
10.12.2014, 01:33
alright,then you can have a try.:cool: