PDA

View Full Version : Consistent reboots after updating D-Tools

Asmodean56
26.06.2003, 09:05
Hi,

I noticed several other threads with similar problems to mine, but none of them offered a solution that worked, so I figured I'd post this separately.

I'm running WinXP SP1. I had Daemon-Tools 3.29 previously installed, and noticed that 3.33 was out. I installed it, but shortly after it finished my computer restarted automatically. I didn't realize what caused it at first, so I started up Daemon-Tools again, although it said something about lacking language support, so I tried to reinstall it. This caused my computer to reboot yet again. This time, however, it rebooted almost instantly upon reentering Windows.

I tried safe mode and all of the variants offered, and my computer still keeps rebooting immediately after starting up Windows. This makes it impossible for me to remove Daemon-Tools. I even tried switching my hard drives around, but it had no effect.

I saw some suggestions about turning off auto-reboot on a blue screen. I haven't seen these blue screens, although it could be because of the auto-reboot. However, I saw no option in my BIOS to disable it (I have an IT7-MAX motherboard). I also saw some stuff about complications with gameports...I have a SB Audigy, I suppose I could try removing the card and starting up. There is no option in the bios to disable a gameport, though, since no gameport is built into the board.

Anyways, if you can help me at all, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Copytrooper
26.06.2003, 09:34
Did you use any registry cleaners?
Btw the automatic reboot "feature" is an option of OS, not BIOS - unfortunately I canÒ‘t tell where to find it in the eXPerimental OS.

NetSoerfer
26.06.2003, 14:13
Windows XP lets you specify how the OS handles critical errors. To change this setting, select Start > Control Panel > Settings > System (in the Classic-style Start menu, Control Panel is under Settings). Click Advanced > System And Recovery > Settings. In the System Failure section, clear the Automatically Restart check box, then click OK.taken from CNet

Asmodean56
26.06.2003, 17:17
Windows XP lets you specify how the OS handles critical errors. To change this setting, select Start > Control Panel > Settings > System (in the Classic-style Start menu, Control Panel is under Settings). Click Advanced > System And Recovery > Settings. In the System Failure section, clear the Automatically Restart check box, then click OK.taken from CNet

Hmm...that would be good, but I can't stay in Windows long enough to do that. Also, I haven't used any registry cleaners.

I was thinking of booting off of another hard drive and then deleting the various files associated with Daemon Tools. If I do this, what files would I want to get rid of?

mrmaster
02.07.2003, 00:40
I joined here for this exact same reason. I don't see any connections either for why this version has a problem. I even reinstalled fresh last week and didn't have this problem before.

After a thousand(at least a hundred) reboots I was able to uninstall Dtools. Safe mode and doing a System Restore saved my ass twice.

Yes, I didn't learn my lesson the first time. So while I have no insights into this, or where to even begin, I just wanted to let everyone know all is not lost for uninstalling d-tools.

Now, where can I get an older version to try? I really really like d-tools.

LocutusofBorg
02.07.2003, 00:59
I load up an older Version of Daemon Tools tomorrow, you'll find it in our downloadsection. Moreover, the new Version which is still in development shouldn't behave like actual Versions anymore.