Running a Windows 95, 98, 2000, or ME game on XP Professional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a Windows 95, 98, 2000, or ME game on XP Professional

Hi! I am entirely new to using Daemon Tools and .iso files, so I apologize in advance if I overlooked the answer I need somewhere else.
    So. Like I said, I am completely new to all of this. I had never even heard of an iso file until I downloaded Lucas Art's Escape from Monkey Island. The file, which I got off a BitTorrent site, came in a .rar that I extracted, and gave me two iso filed. So I Googled, and I that's how I got to Daemon Tools.
    I've installed Daemon Tools, and I can mount the two images I have. I get a game screen menu with the options of install, help, options, or exit. So, I clicked install, and I get this error in a pop up window:
    16 bit Windows Subsystem
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
    I'm given the option to close or ignore, and both seem to shut the game down, and I have to unmount and re-mount the images to get back to the installation screen.
    I also looked through their help file, and this was about all that I could understand:
    "You must have Windows 95, 98, 2000 or Millennium Edition (ME) installed and configured correctly to be able to run Escape from Monkey Island. MS-DOS, Windows 3.1x, Windows NT 3.x, Windows NT 4.0, Linux and OS/2 are not supported."
    Since I'm running Windows XP pro, well, obviously my operating system isn't in that list.
    If anyone could help me out, that would be amazing. If you need some more details or clairification, I'd be glad to give it. I'm ready to do about anything to get this game to run; being 20 and having nostalgia for when I played MI1 on my old computer running Windows 3.1 and NOT being able to get this to work isn't much fun.
Working...
X