Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie-Doo
    replied
    Sorry for pushing but did something changed over the last ... seven (wow!) years related to "please give us dtools for Linux)?

I've tried CDEmu and AcetoneISO to mount images for older games running fine under wine without success.

Thx alot!
    rkd

Leave a comment:

• NSLW
    replied
    And here is another good program to mount: iso, nrg, mdf, img, bin images. The name is AcetoneISO.

Leave a comment:

• Ripper-sms
    replied
    thanks for the link, cobra!
    Guess youre the first who DID something useful on the topic.

Leave a comment:

• Ripper-sms
    replied
    Regarding MS: It is and stays commercial monopoly. They are good at one thing: selling. You may argue that they will not be able to sell, thats not needed but they have marketing department and connections to define whats considered to be "needed".
    Linux and GNU on the contrary are not sold, they are pushed. Any person or group which wishes for the code to do something, implements it. If its not perfect, other can push it to higher level or fork it in another direction.
    That is the reason for MS based OSes to turn into feodal unefficient systems, where completeness equals to chaos(death).

On the deamon tools. I think many know the saying "Those who will, seeks for ways; those who will not seeks for reasons."

I have read a lot of arguments here contra Linux, but all of them are not problems as such, but results of the current state.

Will more ppl understand the superiority of FOSS, more devs will attract attention. I am not talking about publishers, they are not needed here. APT-GET does it here, and for free.

Leave a comment:

• mastermind
    replied
    Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
    I don't understand why people insist on trying to make Linux a gaming platform. It has never been a gaming platform and may very well never BE a gaming platform. If you want to play games, just dual-boot Windows and Linux.

Trust me, Windows won't hurt your computer, and you'll even be able to use Daemon Tools.

Shocking, I know.
    There are many unbalanced and irrelevant things being said about Windows nowadays, and it is apparently "popular" in some circles to disrespect everything that has relevance to Microsoft. Being an IT professional, developer and enthusiast myself, I believe that I have a more nuanced view of this, I appreciate many of MS' accomplishments, and I personally favor Windows on the desktop (for now).

However, I do not agree with your post. Linux OS'es are essentially community efforts and most of them are available to the user free of charge. Also, technically, Linux is not at all inferior to Windows when it comes to the ability to play games with high performance. The problem is primarily, as LocutusOfBorg pointed out, that game developers currently do not have much interest in that market.

For many users, Windows (as an operating system) honestly doesn't have any mentionable benefits over Linux, especially not when considering the price difference (if "difference" is a fitting word when "competing" with zero). Many users are more or less "forced" to use Windows simply because of its strong status as the "de facto" standard. It is not at all difficult to understand that such users do not appreciate this. Nor is it hard to understand why many users would rather spend their money on new software, movies, games etc. What may be hard to understand is why some developers are willing to donate their precious time without stable pay (or any pay at all), but that is another discussion (more and more open source projects are by the way being sponsored nowadays)

Leave a comment:

• AnalCobra
    replied
    Hey,

there's a useful tool for Linux-Users who want to mount an MDS, CCD, CUE or B6T image without converting them to ISO for example.
    Its called cdemu and works fins since the final release.

Check the Website.

Leave a comment:

• jidea
    replied
    i knew that jito463 is not a DT employee, but some time i think he is "Docteur honoris causa" of the DT university.(sorry don't know the english term)
    I seldom had the opportunity to post, so I'm taking advantage of it to say : "thanks to you i can preserve my cdrom collecting"

For gaming on linux, sadly, you are not wrong, but ...
    I HOPE !!! (I know that WE WILL REIGN on the GALAXY !!!)

Leave a comment:

• LocutusofBorg
    replied
    @jidea: We ARE proud of this fact, indeed

However, I guess you pointed this to jito463, one of our long
    time supporters and valuable forum-member and customer
    of DT. But: He is not a DT employee, therefore your answer
    is headed to the wrong person

btw, I too think that Linux is ATM not a gaming platform - and
    for the very same reasons you already pointed out: its not an
    protected area. However, this is not the only "drawback", most
    games nowadays depend on a lot of win-only APIs, therefore
    first we must convince game-producers to port the games to
    linux natively. But of course its not Linux' fault that producers
    do not take the extra-work to code alternative code or e.g.
    use multi-platform API's (OpenGL e.g.) but rely on other architectures.
    I guess its also a matter of efficiency and support. See that nvidia
    and ATI nowadays even send engineers of their team to support
    game-producers shed some light to the reasons WHY so few games
    are ported to Linux. But of course: Those are my 2 cent to the
    story only, I could be wrong of course.

ID Software on the other hand showed that high-class games
    can run natively under Linux

Leave a comment:

• jidea
    replied
    I think, it's a little rude to say : linux is not a gaming platform. Perhaps you could say : linux is not a f.ck.d protected gaming platform.
    But seriously, i think you must be proud that some people wants DT ported to linux.

Leave a comment:

• Jito463
    replied
    I don't understand why people insist on trying to make Linux a gaming platform. It has never been a gaming platform and may very well never BE a gaming platform. If you want to play games, just dual-boot Windows and Linux.

Trust me, Windows won't hurt your computer, and you'll even be able to use Daemon Tools.

Shocking, I know.

Leave a comment:

• Karakarga
    replied
    Originally Posted by Fedarkyn View Post
    does exists an alternative for linux users to mount ISOs with their corresponding copy protection?

my games are the only reason I keep a windows in my machine
    me too. I need smoething like daemontools desperately.

Leave a comment:

• Fedarkyn
    replied
    does exists an alternative for linux users to mount ISOs with their corresponding copy protection?

my games are the only reason I keep a windows in my machine

Leave a comment:

• christian1000
    replied
    Ned for a Linux version of daemon tools

Originally Posted by Underheaven
    Try to name 5 linux-based copy protected CDs

But you're right, there isn't a solution right now.
    Hi all,

I understand that Daemon tools is just available for WINDOWS and that there is a shell command available for Linux to mount iso images.

But please understand: The shell command is by far not satisfying. I am very reluctant to work with the shell ( actually I hate it) and I would love to have a DAEMON version available that would allow his me to mount an image more conveniently. (e.g. displaying an icon on the desktop )

So, DAEMON tool folks, do the LINUX users a favour and generate a Linux version of your terrific software. You would really bridge a big, big gap.

You would really hit the market and help many people who consider to switch from WINDOWS to Linux but hesitate to do so because Linux still lacks many beloved tools like yours.

Christian1000
    Last edited by christian1000; 27.10.2006, 08:24.

Leave a comment:

• Juzz
    replied
    cedega is NOT like a wine + a "daemon tools" !

cedega is an accelerated wine with more support for directx - it does NOT mount any ISO files with their respective copy protection.

However I would definitely like to have Daemon Tools available for Linux - so I didn't have to swap my CDs so often.

Leave a comment:

• Fedarkyn
    replied
    Hб, so you understand my point...

I want it to finally play my windows protected games under wine (cedega is in fact like a wine + a "daemon tools" like feature).

:P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X