This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by PlatoSG View Post
    I just got it working using the drivers in WIndows\System32\drivers for Vista but you have to find a cdrom.inf and put it in their and make sure cdrom.sys is in there as well. Then go to Device manager if there's no drivers installed for the SCSI Virt drive which was my problem, it's under Other Devices in the list. Click it and update the drivers - browse to Windows\system32\drivers and install them from there. And then wait a few mins and the drive letter shows up auto.

Mike.
    thanks. i found the driver but couldn't install it. i googled around and it looks i need a reinstall of the whole system.

Comment

FINALY AN AWNSER ^^ (wel it worked for me :P)

I had same problem as described by several people above and was (as you can imagine) pretty annoyed. And after some struggelin i might have found an awnser everybody can use

(You don't need to uninstall deamon tools)
      First go to the normal download site of daemon tools
      Disk-Tools.com - Published Software Download
      now comes the important part.
      download the SPTD at the bottom of the site. (make sure you get the right version for your 32 or 63 bit system)
      click on the SPTD file to open it...
      Seeing that you all had daemon tools installed there will be 3 options you can click on.
      I believe they are. Update, Uninstall and Cancel.
      Click on Uninstall
      Restart system.
      Then click on the SPTD file again where you now have the options Install or Cancel
      Install and then restart again.
      Start daemon tools and now you probably have disk letters again
      (looking at that the SPTD install is included in the daemon tools install file you can also uninstall the SPTD and after that deamon tools reboot and then just install deamon tools normally, this should work as well )
      hope this helps some people (A) it did for me

Comment

You need to copy and paste the *.inf and *.PNF files from this folder:
        Code:
        C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\cdrom.inf_b2045cb8
        AND THIS FOLDER:
        Code:
        C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\mshdc.inf_1d87dda2
        to C:\Windows\inf

the *.sys files in those folders may be required to be copied and pasted into \System32\Drivers if not already there.

Now you need to go to device manager and right-click on the not working virtual driver which is probably now under other devices. Select to update the driver and now point to C:\windows\inf
        should work fine now!

Comment

Hi, I've tried everything I have seen in this thread and I cannot get it to work. Whenever I try to update the drivers I get an error message saying it failed to install the driver (CD-ROM), the message under that is "Access is denied."

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

You are working with administrator permissions?
            Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
            Peace Through Power

Comment

Actually, I solved my problem. It wasn't related to a daemon-tools issue. But, in case anyone else has this problem at some point, here is the solution (I have no idea what caused it).

The problem was that I was no authorized access to the files the system needed to install the driver. So, to fix the problem I went into my registry (regedit) and gave myself Full access to everything in the Local Machine folder. This did not solve the problem. It might not even be necessary to do this.

Earlier I had come across a reg file that adds a little option in your right-click menu to take ownership of folders and files, found here Take Ownership of file - Vista Forums. Using this I took ownership of the following folders:
              windows/inf
              windows/system32/drivers

and then the next time I tried to install the driver for the virtual drive it was successful. I don't know what caused this to happen, but if anyone else experiences something similar, hopefully this post saves you the 4 hours it took me. =)

-Koney

Comment

SOLVED: Vista x86 Business, SP1

I had the "no driveletter - can't change drive letter" issue.

However my cd/dvd-player was visible in Device Manager but they had a yellow "!". The Device driver could not be loaded.

I used this guide -> PC Hell: How to Fix Error Code 39 with DVD or CD-ROM drive in Windows XP/Vista

Very easy and after the reboot, I had access to change the drive letters and everything is working again!

Great Sticky this one!

Regards
                //David

Comment

Hello together
                  I have a problem that could be related to this:
                  under vista 32 i can change the drive letter without problems and while the sessions lasts, everything is fine. But after a restart the letter is again the first free letter (e.g. D.
                  This is also happens when i close Daemon Tools Lite Tray Icon, starts it as Administrator and change the letter in this way. After a reboot, the letter changed again.
                  Could anyone help?
                  Thank you
                  steven

the problem is the same as in this thread, i think:

but i use official vista sp1
                  Last edited by Blazkowicz; 03.09.2008, 18:23.

Comment

Originally Posted by KiwiWifi View Post

However my cd/dvd-player was visible in Device Manager but they had a yellow "!". The Device driver could not be loaded.

I used this guide -> PC Hell: How to Fix Error Code 39 with DVD or CD-ROM drive in Windows XP/Vista

Very easy and after the reboot, I had access to change the drive letters and everything is working again!

Great Sticky this one!

Regards
                    //David
                    Thanks a lot for that link, worked like a charm.

Comment

i have the same problem. i have windows vista and after i installed it abd restarted my computer. it says "the application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect.please see the application event log fot more detail"

please help.

Comment

Originally Posted by KiwiWifi View Post

Great Sticky this one!

Regards
                        //David
                        After trying for at least one month, I am about to take a decision to give my laptop for HP service to replace my burner.
                        But meanwhile, when I want to read an ISO file, this daemon tool problem - 'unable to set drive letter' started pestering me. So I tried all the previous solutions given above, but in vain. Finally yours did the magic not only with 'Daemon Tools', but also with my burner.

Million thanks to you!

Comment

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

The fix....

It works on all versions of windows having this problem.

They say any software that can burn a cd/dvd or manage drm or video/music can trigger this problem upon install.

Common triggers are installing winamp or nero or even d-tools.

This fix worked on all my systems, and it is also what you need to use for the HP-Optical problem as well as the sony vaio one.

Aparently for some reason their OEM software triggers it every time you do a update.

Have fun.

Comment

@fosszombie
                            Well meant, but already mentioned in this thread
                            Also a sticky in the Common Problems and Solutions subforum.
                            I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

quote of copytrooper:
                              "Check in device manager if any drivers are installed for the virtual devices. There should be cdrom.sys, storprop.dll and redbook.sys.
                              If no drivers are installed, click on install drivers and point to cdrom.inf - or mshdc.inf (for vIDE) - supplied by OS (in hidden Windows\Inf folder).
                              If all mentioned drivers are installed, but also some additional filter drivers check this thread, too:
                              My real cdrom/dvdrom drives are missing - THE DAEMON TOOLS FORUM
                              Also check if you've a file infcache.1 in Windows\Inf folder, (re-)move it, then try again."

in my Vista x64 the VIDE drive only driver is cdrom.sys and nothing else. If i manually update it with mshdc.inf it doesnt change anything.

My Virtual Drives get unusable after almost every suspend to ram or suspend to disk sleep mode and i cannot assign drive letters to them any longer until reboot.

This problem is persistant for over a year over VARIOUS OS installations, so its NOT my system.

I have not installed or used any program that changes access rights to hives or any hide programs previous to the problem occured. I also have not installed any Burning Software that uses own drivers such as NERO. I also dont even have a hardware Optical drive. I only have a USB DVD that i have not connected.
                              Guys vote for the threads you read to give
                              the rating system a place to live ^^

Comment

well i dont blame DT for all this...after all the 680I nforce is a retarded chipset with retarded drivers, some many weird shit happens with it...

kicked out all nforce drivers and using the ones windows vista (sp2), installs by itself now... majority of problems gone...(just wait for them to resurface again for no obvious reason ^^)
                                Guys vote for the threads you read to give
                                the rating system a place to live ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X