Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP x64 runs Daemon.exe in 32b?

Hi,

I use Windows XP x64 but Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx shows daemon.exe as a 32b executable. As far as I can see the dt-installer (I run the lite-version) is a combined 32/64b so one would assume the program automatically detects which variant to install.

This is confusing. Could somebody please explain?

TIA.

/AvG
    /AvG

daemon.exe is indeed a 32bit executable, but the DRIVER you installed with it is 64bit. process explorer shows running processes, not drivers, this is why.
    Mounty Bob strikes back

Comment

Originally Posted by CongoMan View Post
      daemon.exe is indeed a 32bit executable, but the DRIVER you installed with it is 64bit. process explorer shows running processes, not drivers, this is why.
      Ah, ok. The driver is the important thing of course. But the title for Daemon Tools is rather misleading, when the only thing 64b is actually the driver.
      Would I have anything to benefit from running a 64b daemon.exe (assuming it was available)?
      /AvG

Comment

Considering how little memory the tray icon uses, not much if any at all. The advantages of 64-bit is better memory management. If a program uses very little memory, then it will not benefit much from running natively 64-bit.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
          Considering how little memory the tray icon uses, not much if any at all. The advantages of 64-bit is better memory management. If a program uses very little memory, then it will not benefit much from running natively 64-bit.
          Ok, thanks. I'm satisfied with the answer.
          My initial question was because I wanted to run x64 all natively, but if I don't get the benefit with daemon.exe, one might as well skip it.
          Thx again. And thanks for a great program! It's great the sptd is available for x64. Don't know how I'd make the transition to x64 if Daemon Tools wasn't available in the 64b flavour.
          /AvG

Comment

Working...
          X