Installation on Vista build 5308 fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation on Vista build 5308 fails

I've used Daemon on the previous release of Vista (Dec CTP, can't remember the build number) but on the latest build (Feb CTP, build 5308) the install fails. It reboots the PC but then seems to fail to detect that the PC has rebooted.

I know this is early in the life of Vista but I use Daemon so much that I would miss it if it wasn't available

Same problem for me!

Hello to everyone!

I'm actually having the same problem! I WAS able to use daemon tools 4.03 in Vista December ctp (5270) without any problem.

Now i'm playing around with the feb ctp 5308 and
    The pc reboots and... wants to reboot again...impossible to make it work!
    I have tryed to install in save mode and rebbot in save mode to finish install but same result... nothing!

Its a pity because i broke my optical device a couple of weeks ago and i used to just mount an image of my original game on my harddrive. Now i can't play in vista anymore!!

I have tryed with alcohol and virtual drive pro 10 but neither of them can finish to install a virtual drive!

Maybe with luck.... a little tweak would be great!?

If anybody can help or tried something else? it would be great to know.

PS: please no bullshit like... " its still a beta and all that..." i don't need this kind of answer!

Thanks in advance for all cooperations!
    http://bsfkillaplace.runboard.com/

Comment

Some news!!!

Ok me again!

I tried several daemon tools version and guess what?

Daemon.msi version 3.02 works without any problem in vista 5308! Its a shame that version is too old to emulate starforce 3 games

Daemon tools 3.47 installs without any problem BUT crashes the pc and makes it rebbot when you want to add at least 1 virtual drive!

Daemon tools 4.00 is exactly the same than the 4.03 one!
      Not possible to install!

So at least there is the 3.02 msi version thats works without problems.... so its possible to have a virtual drive inside vista 5308!!!!!!

I guess all the virtual drive software on the market have to be super updated for the latest game protections and i think this is on of the reasons why its not loading on vista!

A normal virtual drive such as the daemon tools 3.02 msi version is not as complex as the latest build (4.03)!

I also think that people who build daemon tool software can find a way to work around this problem!

Many more things to say but no time anymore.... i'll leave you all thinking (i hope)

Thanks for any reply!

Comment

Still need for update on X64

I'm running Vista feb ctp on X64. In that case the old version is no option. I hope the team is still planning on a tweak or minor update for the latest version and x64 in specific to run on Vista 5308.

Comment

This will be checked, but there will be for sure NO update to support a particular beta build only.
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Clearly there has been some code changes in Vista causing this behaviour. Going to official beta in stead of CTP builds in a couple of months I don't think this will be changed back.

All daily builds later then 5270 suffered from this until 5308 now. Also tested it until 5320 allready with no change in behaviour.

I hope you find the time to get this working on 5308.

Comment

Virtual Drive OR Protection ?

I personnaly think that this might all be on purpose!
              I got the 3.47 installed on vista 5308.... but it f....s up when i chose any of the protections listed in it ( safedisk, securom, sf... etc)

So the virtual drive is accepted like i had with version 3.02 msi!
              Its the PROTECTION EMULATION that gives a problem!

Has any body tried the new Alcohol 120 ( 1.9.5.3823 )?

Its really shitty because the 5308 build is really stable.... even did a 3Dmark03 benchmark and results were ok! Just around 200 points less than win XP!

Games install very fast on this 5308 vista build! Incredible speed....

I Guess time will be needed to fix all this...

Thanks to all for replying!

Comment

Virtual Drives On Vista 5308! Tried many !

This is a list of all the virtual drives i tried with the 5308 build of vista:

- Daemon Tools 3.02 msi
                ( Install without problem, Emulates but no protection emulation )

- Daemon Tools 3.47
                ( Install without problem, Impossible to load at least 1 virtual drive : Error! )

- Daemon Tools 4.00
                ( Impossible to install, reboots the pc over and over )

- Daemon Tools 4.03
                ( Impossible to install, reboots the pc over and over )

- Alcohol 120%
                ( Impossible to install, Error while install ) didn't try the 1.9.5.3823 build yet!

( Install without problem, Emulates but no protection emulation ) ******** includes a version of Daemon's virtual drive but doesn't seem to work!

- Virtual Drive Pro 10
                ( Installs with errors and doesn't emulate too good )

- Starport
                ( Install without problems and emulates but no protection bypass ) Interesting prog !!!!

- Nero 7
                ( Install with errors and virtual drive is not worth it )

There you go!
                By trying all those virtual drives, i realise that the problem is the protections! I'm actually using the Starport progy because i like it a lot ( no offence for the daemon team )

I guess i'm unlucky because it looks like i have the biggest protected games in my possession!
                If only my DVD Burner didn't die a couple of weeks ago, i would not even need to emulate my games!

PS: A big Thank you to the Daemon team!

I'm playing with TOCA Race Driver 3 ( SF 3.7 )
                Gt Legends ( SF 3.6 )
                Colin Mc Rae 05 ( SF 3.4 )
                Tiger Woods 06 ( Safedisk )
                The Sims 2 ( Safedisk )
                Prince of persia POP2T ( SF ? )

All those games work without any problem with Daemon Tools 4.03 ( + IDE UNPLUGGED )
                I made a good DPM image with Alcohol120!

I just Wish the Daemon 4.03 worked inside this 5308 Build of Vista ! Like it worked in the 5270 Build!

IMPORTANT!!!
                Would it be possible to load a perfect DPM image (made with alco) with older builds of Daemon?
                Because the 3.02 and the 3.47 don't recognise the MDS in my case! So i usually convert the image with
                Ultraiso ( But no luck )

That's it for now ! I'm hoping and hoping and hoping.....

Thanks for taking interest in this case!

Comment

I have the same problem, allways says i have to reboot.

Also tried to install using the administrator account itself (cause members added to the administrator group seems the have limited permission on some stuff) also asked to reboot and guess what ... i cant even run the setup no more.

As soon as i run the setup it says i need to reboot after a previous operation ... rebooted few times, keeps saying the same thing
                  Maybe i could work when using the administrator account itself, but i cant try no more
                  u guys might also have notices the button to log in as other user is disapeared from the logon, so little tweak is needed to login using the admin account
                  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserLis t]
                  "Administrator"=dword:00000001

If u check the problems and solutions u will see there is a problem with daemon tools, called PCA, altho i run daemon403-x86.exe the problem signature says 4.3.0.0

Problem signature
                  Problem Signature 01: DAEMON Tools Setup
                  Problem Signature 02: 4.3.0.0
                  Problem Signature 03: 1
                  Problem Signature 04: 201
                  OS Version: 6.0.5308.2.0.0.256.1
                  Locale ID: 2067

Comment

daemon like ?!

Hello Nightmare!
                    Nice check ther e.... So vista shows 4.3.0.0 !
                    But... Should it be 4.0.3.0 ?!
                    How does it check in Win Xp ?
                    If its also 4.3.0.0 in xp....than it can't be daemons problem in this case! On the otherside if its 4.0.3.0 in Xp than it could be vista that changes the order ( Maybe on purpose ! )
                    I think vista don't like virtual drives a lot because they emulate protections ( this is my personal opinion )

Would it be impossible to play backups ( of the original you bought ) on vista ???
                    Would vista become an anti-copy workstation? Who knows!?

Thanks again for the info

PS: As for the admin trick, Tweakvista does the trick without problems!

Comment

Dint check what version deamon tools is showing on xp ... but the same install files works fine on xp, also on previous build of vista.

This is just the info i got out of the vista solution stuff.

For the emulations ... i dont really care if it can emulate or not ... daemon tools aint used for playing games only
                      Just need to be able to mount the SDK image (to lazy to burn it to dvd). Still using xp for gaming.

Anyway ... im about to reinstall vista, so gone try to install the latest version of daemon tools again ... i guess there must be a way to make it running.

Comment

Is this something that is being worked on? Is it important to the authors of Daemon Tools to support Vista? I do hope so.

M.

Comment

Don't expect much as long as Vista is still in beta stage.
                          When Microsoft officially releases Vista to the public, then I'm sure there will be a compatible version of DT soon.

Comment

Originally Posted by mshirey
                            Is this something that is being worked on? Is it important to the authors of Daemon Tools to support Vista? I do hope so.
                            M.
                            Originally Posted by Copytrooper
                            This will be checked, but there will be for sure NO update to support a particular beta build only.
                            Is this actually so difficult to understand?
                            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Re: login as as another user under Vista

Yes off topic.. but regarding the log on as another user button. If you hit ctrl-alt-del multiple times you can get the screen to change to a normal (enterprise looking) screen on Windows XP. You can then type whatever username you want (such as Administrator). I assume this XP method still works under Vista.
                              the modern world:
                              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
                              X