No announcement yet.

Does ROSETTA Stone beat Daemon Tools ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was accidently reading through all this about true backup copies and stuff so i'd like to give my opinion about that.

when it comes to burning, i would always prefer to burn the image file itself. even if it is possible to create a running backup, who can say if you can get another copy of that copy later on?

with the working image stored away you can always make another working copy as the data doesn't have to be read out of the cd again.

EDIT:
    i understand you want to stay independent from daemon tools, but that's something i do not really understand. when setting up a new machine, dt is one of the first things to install for me. once you start using images more frequently it becomes indispensable to have it installed. the nice side-effects like emulation for non-perfect (physical) copies makes it even more attractive and it is so small you can almost always burn it together with the imgae onto a cd.

sorry for advertising that much for dt, but ... it's the dt forum here, so what.
    got my point?
    Last edited by CongoMan; 14.08.2006, 23:31.
    Mounty Bob strikes back

Comment

Originally Posted by biyahero

I can mount the resulting image in Daemon Tools (as was suggested also) and run it OK. However, I seem to be able to mount it in Alcohol 120% and run it also equally well, so my first question is why do I even need Daemon Tools? Alcohol 120% seems to run the image just fine.
      And you are customer of Alcohol120%, yes? Because if not, then
      you have the answer to your question, apart from the fact that
      the Alcohol-drives ARE the DT-drives from a technical point
      of view.

What concerns your requests, I suggest to visit CD-Freaks-Forum,
      that is best adress to discuss such kind of probs.
      Here's the home of the emulator-freaks while at CDFreaks
      you find alot enthusiastic people with big knowledge how
      to create (if possible) 1:1 backups

Comment

pointing to thread 3 sheep burners ?? #185660 at cdfreaks

Check out this thread for 2 burners that supposedly can make non-emulation required backups:

p.s. you should reply with questions about that thread on that site too
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by neptun
          You can't make 1/1 copy of safedisk protected cd because it is very hard to reproduce correctly the bad sectors used to identify the disk as original and there is a small amount of writers which can do that.Look this article for more information - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=50778
          Thanks for pointing out that very informative and detailed post. In another forum, they mention they mention that to create a working copy of a SafeDisk protected CD you need a burner that can correctly do "EFM encoding", and provide a list of such burners. My Plextor PX-716SA (Serial ATA) is on that list, while not being on the list you mention above. My second drive the Plextor PX-716A (Standard IDE model of the same drive) for some reason is not on the list... whether because nobody tested it and reported that it worked or because it really can't, I don't know.

I'll post the link to the other list of burners once I find it again.

Anyway, I did produce a working copy of Rosetta Stone Language CD... twice just to make sure it really worked... using CloneCD and this procedure somebody posted.

Why does it work? I don't know... even CloneCD tech support replied that their program can't copy this CD, but I did it ... twice... prior to receiving their message that it couldn't.

It does not work if you choose the option to create an image first and then choose the option to burn from that image, but it does work if you choose "Copy CD" and use the "Copy Protected Game" profile as described in the link above.

However, if even you choose to "Copy CD" and then choose to *not* erase the image file (which this process creates as an intermediate step in copying the CD) after the completion of the copying operation, and then you try to burn a CD from that image file using Alcohol 120% the CD won't work, but the CD you created during the "Copy CD" process will work. I can't remember if I tried using CloneCD to create a second CD using the same image file that was created as an intermediate step in it's "Copy CD" process or not, but it definately does not work to use the CloneCD options "Read to Image" and then "Write from Image".

Comment

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg
            And you are customer of Alcohol120%, yes? Because if not, then
            you have the answer to your question, apart from the fact that the Alcohol-drives ARE the DT-drives from a technical point of view.

[...] Snipped

Here's the home of the emulator-freaks while at CDFreaks you find alot enthusiastic people with big knowledge how to create (if possible) 1:1 backups
            Well thank you for your response. I understand now that mounting it in either Alcohol 120% or Daemon-Tools does the same thing, but you have to pay for Alcohol and Daemon-Tools is freeware.

If it sounded like I was diaparaging Daemon-Tools in any way by saying "why do I even need Daemon Tools? Alcohol 120% seems to run the image just fine.", I didn't mean it to sound that way at all. I am not exactly a customer of Alcohol yet... I was just using the trial version and I am just trying to figure out how this stuff works. I am coming from a background of using only Roxio EZCD Creator, and so this is a whole new world for me.

I am kind of confused by now I see the term "emulator" used here. I know that "emulation" is to imitate or simulate something. Do you mean simply that you are imitating or simulating having a CD Drive by mounting the "Virtual Drives" that CloneCD and Alcohol create, or in a larger sense exactly what are we concerned or dealing with as "emulator-freaks" in this forum and as users of Daemon-Tools?

Perhaps I should reverse the question and ask "If I have Daemon-Tools what do I need Alcohol or CloneCD for"? I guess the answer to that question that comes to mind with my current level of ignorance of this topic is that I need these programs to create the actual images and to created the Virtual Drives?

Thank you very much for your patience and information!

Comment

I will try to explain you.When you make an image of a copy protected game in most cases it is not possible to just burn the image on blank cd or dvd and play from it because there are some things ( like disk topology or bad sectors or twin sectors it depends from the protection) which you can read with your optical device but can not burn them back to the blank cd or dvd.Here comes the virtual drives like daemon tools or the virtual device of alcohol 120%.Because of the fact that they just read the image file from the harddisk and supplying the sectors from it needed by the application reading from the virtual drive they can reproduce this special things which you can not burn.The alcohol 120% and daemon tools virtual drives are the same.No matter which one you will use.But i prefer daemon tools + awxdtools because i get the same functionality for free and also daemon tools is updated more frequently.But you need alcohol 120% or blindwrite to create your images.

Comment

quoting: Perhaps I should reverse the question and ask "If I have Daemon-Tools what do I need Alcohol or CloneCD for"?

Daemon-Tools will allow you to use almost any already made cd/dvd image. What it doesn't allow you to do compared to Alcohol is to actually make the image from your original protected cd/dvd. I personally use daemon as my virtual cd drive and use alcohol only when I want to image or burn something.

Hope this help.

Regards

Comment

SD4Hide v1.1 necessary?

*bump*

Is sd4hide.exe ( sd4hide version 1.1 ) necessary to get Rosetta Stone working with DT4.06? I tried but can only get it to work with it. If it's possible to get it to work without it, I'd like to know what you people have tried/done to get it to work. Thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by GWolfman
                    If it's possible to get it to work without it, I'd like to know what you people have tried/done to get it to work.
                    Disable your drives in device manager or in bios (in bios does always work)
                    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                    Peace Through Power

Comment

anyone in a good mood?

ok ive read through all of these instructions but am still in a bit of a pickle. i'm on a mac, so i can't use safedisc. i just bought the farsi rosetta stone for the second time, because the first copy got a scratch big enough to ruin it. the software is so expensive, so i want to make a physical copy of the disc just in case. i don't have one of the burners that will allow exact copies of safedisc cds. i was wondering if anyone is in the holiday spirit and is willing to do me a huge favor... maybe this is a bit of a strange request.. but would anyone be willing to let me mail them this cd so they can make me a copy, and mail them back? i'd be happy to pay for the shipping and a little extra . i'd be forever greatful, i really need it. just message me if you're willing.. thanks a lot!

Comment

I wouldn't advise that, kevindosi. If you send it to the wrong person, you may never get your disc back.

Comment

Might have a work-around.

Originally Posted by kevindosi View Post
                          .. but would anyone be willing to let me mail them this cd so they can make me a copy, and mail them back? i'd be happy to pay for the shipping and a little extra . i'd be forever greatful, i really need it. just message me if you're willing.. thanks a lot!
                          Kevindosi, if you are still checking this forum, either post or reply to me.

Comment

Pulling my hair out...any help appreciated

One thing is for certain, one is up in the air.

#1: I am utterly naive when it comes to this stuff.
                            #2: I may be a moron.

I have an ISO program for Rosetta Stone (yes, I have read this thread and it didn't fix my issues.) and it repeatedly says to "Please insert the correct CD".

I have used alcohol 120, Daemon tools and sd4hide, to no avail. I have burned CDs, mounted images, tried in every combination for the last 10 hours with no results.

One problem I do encounter, in Alcohol, when I try to burn a copy of the ISO it says "No RMPS data on the source, you are not able to make a copy using this datatype!".

Am I screwed, or is there a way out of this? Any help whatsoever will be very appreciated. Not that beggars should be choosers, but if you do offer help, please do so in small discrete steps and I am not well versed in this stuff.

Thank you all very much to helping an ignorant n00b.

Comment

Success!

Originally Posted by affer2 View Post
                              One thing is for certain, one is up in the air.
                              #1: I am utterly naive when it comes to this stuff.
                              #2: I may be a moron.
                              I have an ISO program for Rosetta Stone (yes, I have read this thread and it didn't fix my issues.) and it repeatedly says to "Please insert the correct CD".
                              I have used alcohol 120, Daemon tools and sd4hide, to no avail. I have burned CDs, mounted images, tried in every combination for the last 10 hours with no results.
                              One problem I do encounter, in Alcohol, when I try to burn a copy of the ISO it says "No RMPS data on the source, you are not able to make a copy using this datatype!".
                              Am I screwed, or is there a way out of this? Any help whatsoever will be very appreciated. Not that beggars should be choosers, but if you do offer help, please do so in small discrete steps and I am not well versed in this stuff.
                              Thank you all very much to helping an ignorant n00b.
                              Hello all, I've been fighting with this myself for the last couple of days trying to get a working copy (thought I lost the CD a couple weeks ago and was *freaked* out by the thought of $200 down the drain.)

I have to double check this process to be 100% certain but here is what I believe worked:
                              1. Create an image of both Application and Language disks(.mds format is what I used) from Alcohol 120% with Safedisc 2/3 settings enabled at 1X. (this is only significant for the Language CD)
                              2. Mount application image and run install
                              3. Mount Language image (in D-Tools turn OFF all emulation settings)
                              4. Run SD4Hide
                              -
                              At this point I was getting the Application to start without any "Insert the correct disk...." errors but I was getting a pop-up saying
                              [Director Player Error]
                              Object expected.
                              Script Error.
                              Continue?

From here: http://director-online.com/forums/re...?1,20676,20715

I saw to try this to enable "debugging"
                              1) Create a text file named Lingo.ini alongside the Director application
                              2) Type the following into the Lingo.ini file:

on startUp
                              the traceLogFile = "Trace.txt"
                              the trace = TRUE
                              end

Which then amazingly led to the app running properly.

Again, I will test this again to verify on another machine but that seemed to be the thing that worked for me.

I was using a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW drive to do the image extraction.
                              That would be one issue to consider, what drive are you using since this can affect the ability to get a good image. You may want to pick up another drive, they are so cheap these days it is a small investment to make.

I'll try to post a follow-up to confirm this is what finally made it successful.

Comment

Problems with 2.14.1a

I've been able to open all the files and install the program. But when I use sd4, I can mount the language I want to learn. I keep getting the error message "please install the correct cd and run the program again". I tried using this with several languages with no success. Anyone else have the same problem. By the way, can someone tell me what languages go with the other versions. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X