No announcement yet.

Does ROSETTA Stone beat Daemon Tools ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safedisk emulation is needed only to run a non perfect backup from your optical drive.
    That leads to the question, : how did you make your image?
    Carpe diem

Comment

First of all-thanks to the moderator for putting my post into a running thread. I only found this after I did my initial post-duh.

I used Slysoft clone cd to do the 1:1 copy. Verified with ViceVersa Pro which seemed to show that original and copy of disk were identical.

It struck me as strange that an apparent identical copy wouldn't run.
      Tom

Comment

Tom, a quick glance at the ViceVersa homepage suggests that VV Pro compares data on a file basis, i.e. whether the files in two different locations are the same.

Copy protections don't work on file basis anymore but on a hardware basis, with bad sectors on empty parts of the disc or a specified media topology. The actual data is the same, but the way it's read varies.

That's why you need special programs like CloneCD or the much better Alcohol 120% in the first place, because those programs don't just copy the data but duplicate the copy protection-relevant data as well. Normal burning software would skip any bad sectors, for example.

So a comparison with ViceVersa Pro is worthless for copy protections. Your safest bet is to download Alcohol 120% and use it to create a new image from your original disc, using Alcohol's SafeDisc 2/3 profile.
        "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

OK Thanks.
          So program showing identical files doesn't necessarily mean identical copy.
          Followed everyone's advice and downloaded alcohol 120% this morning. Didn't see any setting for *mds/*mdf image (as mentioned somewhere above) so I just set alcohol on SafeDisk 2/3 to create image and left for work.
          When I get home tonight.....
          Do I burn the image to a blank cd with alcohol 120 or clonecd?
          Should that new disk then work the same as the original? Or, do I do something else with the image?
          Thanks to everone for taking the time to walk me through this.

If anyone has any questions about motorcycles or technical scuba diving or rebreathers, I'll be glad to help out:^)
          Tom

Comment

Created my image with alcohol 120. Burned to disk but keep getting "put in disk error".
            Tried mounting with Alcohol. I can get it to run about once in every ten tries. The other times, clicking on the file does absolutely nothing or sometimes disk error.
            Any suggestions?

Comment

Use Alcohol to create your image, choose the safedisc 2/3 profile in the image making wizard and click next. Choose the mds file format and start creating the image. There should be displayed many read errors and it will take long time.
              Mount the image using DT and disable all emulations.
              Then try starting the program.
              Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Thanks to all. I seem to have gotten there.
                Mounting language disk and running with no emulations.
                Sometimes it starts right up. Other times I get a message saying incorrect disk in place but if I click OK it ignores its' own message and starts up.

Comment

Hey I managed to copy the language CD. I used Alc 120% to make an image (used SD 2/3). Mounted the image with DT. But DO NOT USE emulation. Use sdhide. It runs!

Comment

I'm really new to this, but I've done absolutely everything the forum suggested, which other people said worked for them...

1. make a mds/mdf format copy with alcohol 120% using the safedisk 2/3 option
                    2. mounted the image using daemon tools, making sure emulation options were off
                    3. tried using sd4hide before attempting to run the application

Is there a specific folder I should have the sd4hide in so that it can hide the correct drive or does it just automatically find the mounted disk? After doing all of these, it still says that I don't have the correct disk in the drive and the application closes.

Comment

Wow.. so much has changed.. ..a ? about Rosetta.

Hard to believe how much this site has changed over the years.. last time I was digging around here was DT2.x or so and the website was www.daemon-tools.com..

Suffice to say I haven't had a terrible need to do battle with the reproduction of CD /w copy protections.. SafeDisc3 now.. ;0

I also just encountered a Rosetta Stone Language CD set. I have read this forum thread and understand I should..

1.) Use Alcohol 120% enabling the safedisc2/3 profile and make an mds/mdf image.

The question I have is I would like to make a complete backup of the CD and not have to always have DT on hand for one reason or another.

What program would yall suggest for me to use so that I can make a True 1:1 Copy of the disc with copy protections and all so that the burned backup CD I have would work as well as the original one? I understand there maybe some hardware requirements that not all burners would have.

Thank you for any info.

- Knight

ADMINISTRATION: Please do NOT double-post. All posts are reviewed to
                      prevent this site from being overwhelmed by spam and illegal requests.
                      Just be patient, all posts are reviewed, it just needs some time

Comment

My apologies!

I am so sorry. I thought there was just some horrible no-response going on. That kind of thing would be my luck. I will wait for my replies and posts to show up in the future. AGain my sincere apologies.

- Knight

Comment

No problem, it was just to "lead you in the right direction".
                          We currently think about a popup or something else that
                          will notify the user of the above restrictions. Seems most
                          users didn't see/find our announcement, which is indeed
                          hard to find, it is just too small and no eye-catcher

However, we work on a better solution, meanwhile we simple
                          inform our users "manually"

Comment

Me stupid.

Well probably anyway.. Its been many years since I have messed with Alcohol 120% etc. and back then the ability to burn with it was.. well I want to say you couldn't do the normal kind of burn operations but you probably could burn images.. anyhow.. thats the mindset I was operating under when I asked my question above.

For now right me off as stupid while I get Alcohol 120% and do the safedisc2/3 image dump and then I am going to burn it with Alcohol 120% and see how that backup of the original works.

Thank you please drive through.

- Knight

Comment

Insert Correct Disk Message

Originally Posted by compton384
                              [...] snip
                              1. make a mds/mdf format copy with alcohol 120% using the safedisk 2/3 option
                              2. mounted the image using daemon tools, making sure emulation options were off
                              3. tried using sd4hide before attempting to run the application

[...] Snip [...] it still says that I don't have the correct disk in the drive and the application closes.
                              Well I created the image using Alcohol 120% "Image Making Wizard" choosing the mds/mdf-format using the "SafeDisk 2/3" profile as suggested.

I can mount the resulting image in Daemon Tools (as was suggested also) and run it OK. However, I seem to be able to mount it in Alcohol 120% and run it also equally well, so my first question is why do I even need Daemon Tools? Alcohol 120% seems to run the image just fine.

Secondly, while it is great and faster to run the program using the image mounted from within Alcohol 120% (or Daemon-Tools) as a Virtual CD, my original purpose remains to make a physical backup copy of this CD which will function.

Yet when I use the Alcohol 120% "Image Burning Wizard" to burn a CD from the same image that runs OK as a virtual CD, when I try to run the program using the physical CD I have created, either the program hangs at the opening screen, or sometimes it gives me an error message saying that I should insert the correct CD and restart the program.

Now when I first bought the Rosetta Stone program, I also got this error message with the original CD that the program could not find the Language CD and to insert the correct CD and restart the program.

Rosetta Stone technical support had told me that this error message was caused by some incompatibility with Windows XP, and to solve the problem I should go to the Properties of the installed program, the Compatibility Tab, and check the box for "Run in Compatibility Mode for" and choose "Windows NT (Service Pack 5)", and it would cure the problem.... in fact it did cure the problem.

Now however when running the program and using the physical CD I created with the Alcohol 120% "Image Burning Wizard" from the image I made using the Alcohol 120% "Image Making Wizard", I once again am getting this message about inserting the correct CD, or the computer hanging.

Is there another write option other than the default one I used "RAW DAO" within the Alcohol 120% "Image Burning Wizard" which I could choose to create this physical CD which would allow it to function properly once created? Or something else I could do that I am not doing?

Comment

You can't make 1/1 copy of safedisk protected cd because it is very hard to reproduce correctly the bad sectors used to identify the disk as original and there is a small amount of writers which can do that.Look this article for more information - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=50778

Comment

Working...
                                X