Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Error : "Virtual SCSI Driver not found"

New User

Default Error : "Virtual SCSI Driver not found"

After (clean)installing Windows 2000 (SP4) today, I installed Daemon-Tools v3.33 using the Administrator account.

Then I made a normal(restricted) user account for my brother, and he logged into that account, the message box from DT appeared like this.

"Virtual SCSI Driver not found"

Is this a bug? If not, how can I trouble-shoot this problem?
    Isn't there any way to use DT under normal user previledges?

New User

Default In addition,

There is no problem with the 'Administrator' account.

Make sure you don't have compatibility set for daemon tools.

I have the very same problem. Clean install of SP4, Daemon Tools gives that error when run from an account lacking Administrator rights. Even Power User rights doesn't cut it.

I'm not sure what you mean by having "compatibility" set for DT. I'm simply running with the default settings, 4 drives, no analog audio, and safedisc on.

Thanks for any help,
    Thucydides

If you right-click on daemon tools shortcut, then click compatibility, is anything checked off? If it is, uncheck it.

I'm not sure I understand. The Daemon Tools shortcut is just a regular Windows shortcut. If you mean the Daemon Tools tray icon, then right clicking on it brings up several menus, though not one is named Compatibility. There is one called Emulation. I turned off all of the options there, but that didn't solve the problem.

This is all very strange. Installing DT on SP3 worked fine, even after I upgraded to SP4. Perhaps MS changed some permissions for SP4, which would only take effect on a clean SP4 install?

Thucydides

Yes, i mean desktop shortcut. But i think this shuoldn't be a problem if it works for some user.

From normal user, try running devmgmt.msc and seeing if virtual cdrom's are there.

Yes, as a Power User I can see 4 Generic STEALTH DVD SCSI CdRom Devices, and under "SCSI and RAID controllers" there is also ST3WOLF SCSI Controller.

The problem goes away if I make the user a member of the Administrator group, so it seems to be a permissions problem . But of course that's not a proper and secure solution.

Thucydides

More than likely the problem is some registry permission is set so that normal user cannot access it. I don't know exactly which key is the problem, though. Someone else might know though.

I've had the same problem. Whenever I tried to start Daemon Tools it would give me the error message in this topic title and quit. But, fortunately the solution is simple: Check your device manager. Most probably, the virtual Daeamon SCSI adapter isn't there anymore or is incorrectly installed. If it is still there, uninstall it. Then uninstall Daemon Tools. Reinstall Daemon tools and then run the add new hardware wizard and it'll show up, including one or more virtual DVD drives. There you go, start Deamon Tools again and everything's fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast