X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boot manager that mount *.ISO files

HI Daemon Tools team

I need a boot manager that can mount *.ISO files and boot them up right away.

Nice if this system can make it own safe environment, and workspace on the harddisk, so that the Live CD/DVD can find this again and boot up with the right, and changes able, parameters.

Reason:
    I can have XXX Live CD on my harddisk, as images and with the right setup, virus and Trojans cant nest in to my OS system.

Hi thats is my Suggestions for you and it seems that Daemon Tools is the right Place to start.

Regards :wink:
    PAX

While it's theoretically possible, it would be extremely difficult to create and would require massive amounts of system RAM (think about it, you have to have the ISO image loaded in RAM and still have enough RAM to run the OS from the image). It's just not feasible even if it could be done. Why not just use VMWare or Virtual PC to load the live disc for browsing the internet?

Comment

free virtual machines

If price is an issue, there are some free virtual machines available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Thanks for the answer

Hi again

I see your point, first the ISO load into the memory and then the real OS load, double issue regarding memory load.

I just mend that it would not take more RAM as a normal Live boot from a CD.

I maybe dont explant it right, it dont need to be an ISO image, just an image of a CD, likes the daemon-tool is reading, a CD image. After mount of this image, the source cant be seen from the running OS, hopefully.

Benefit fast boot and some kind of security, and it would be a playground for Live CD users. A mini Linux OS as the controlling part in that matter. But maybe the real problem lays in the boot manager, to handle this mounting. :wink:

The problem with VMware or Virtual PC, is in my opinion much to slow, and is just a spare layer above the real booting OS.

Many thanks for all answers.

Regards
        PAX

Comment

naw, in reality the entire iso would not have to reside in memory, after all i dont think that happens in daemon tools, rather sector 16 or so might be cached by the os, then when a file is accessed, the sector data is read... then the os would issue sector read requests which the driver/whatever would handle, loading the entire iso into memory would be wasteful and a bit silly.. especially if its a dvd
          my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Re: boot manager that mount *.ISO files

Sorry for my late answer, you know work and all the social parts in life.
            My problem is that I am not a programmer, just a experienced IT user and Host operator.

Naturally, no ISO image load into RAM, but maybe a raw CD/DVD image, that can be loaded just as if it where a CD/DVD load, from harddisk.

I am not knowledge enough about the boot/load stuff; it was just a thought that came up in some of my (silly) philosophical moments.

The nice part would be the protection, and the fast boot, in the sense of many Live ISO images packet contain a lot more stuff than then image itself reveals, and much of this is wasted in the load/boot time (the speed of the CD/DVD drive).

It would be a middleware solution, between boot from CD/DVD and boot/load from inside another OS, and for me a nice playground in using Live ISO image.

If some programmers succeed to program this, with some tricky solutions to fool the real load (all the stuff reading the real sector on then harddisk), some people would be very happy, including me.

Nice day to all
            Regards
            PAX

Comment

Originally Posted by PAXland
              Naturally, no ISO image load into RAM, but maybe a raw CD/DVD image, that can be loaded just as if it where a CD/DVD load, from harddisk.
              The problem is, a "raw CD/DVD image" is exactly what an ISO image is. It's a nice thought, and I agree it would be nice, but it's just not technically feasible unless someone can find a way to read the disc image from the hard drive without loading it entirely into memory. But I don't think that will be possible.

Comment

Originally Posted by PAXland
                HI Daemon Tools team

I need a boot manager that can mount *.ISO files and boot them up right away.

Nice if this system can make it own safe environment, and workspace on the harddisk, so that the Live CD/DVD can find this again and boot up with the right, and changes able, parameters.

Reason:
                I can have XXX Live CD on my harddisk, as images and with the right setup, virus and Trojans cant nest in to my OS system.

Hi thats is my Suggestions for you and it seems that Daemon Tools is the right Place to start.

Regards :wink:
                PAX
                why the crap would u even want to get a xxx cd with viruses and trojans?

Comment

ISOEmu

I have been looking for such a manager for some time and finaly landed on: http://sysoft.zdwx.com/isoemu/bin/

Comment

Continue discussion here: Virtual Drive during boot?
                    the modern world:
                    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
                    X