Daemon-Tools : Hogs Resources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon-Tools : Hogs Resources?

I've always steered clear of both Daemon-Tools and Alcohol 120% because of going through the hassle of seeing how it affects my performance. Now, I love to benchmark my games, and always try to get them to run the best I can. I overclock, tweak my drivers, and tweak my games. Recently I started playing Battlefield 2. Well, when it starts up it has a conflict with my CD/DVD-RW drive and takes a *really* long time to start up. Around two minutes. As you might have imagined, I got sick of this. I decided going for a mini-image and Daemon-Tools (I heard Alcohol uses up more system resources). The game starts up instantly, and without a CD too. That's a fair tradeoff, considering I can simply shut down Daemon Tools when running other games. But would this affect my performance in any way - with it directly connecting to my OS convincing it I have another drive and with it in the background with a mounted image? I always try to keep my background processes to a bare minimal (Normally I keep it around ~19 processes, but with Daemon Tools it's at 20). Would this affect anything? Or am I just being too worried?

XFX Geforce 7800GT (Overclocked)
    AMD Athlon 3700+ 64 Bit (Overclocked)
    2048 PC3200 RAM @ DDR333

you are definetly being too worried. ive never seen dt use more then 7 mb of ram, and considering youve got 2048mb, you got nothing to worry about.

Comment

Re: DAEMON Tools memory usage

Copytrooper is the expert on this. I think he's said before each drive uses about 256K.
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Yup, both Daemon Tools and Alcohol (which use the same mounting engine) are extremely resource friendly. Don't worry, you won't notice any bad impact on your system's performance because DT or Alc are installed.
        "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

512kb per vdrive it is
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

OMG... 512kb per vDrive (are you mad) i had better get sum more memory...

lol, never ever had a problem with D-Tool hogging my or any one elses system resources...EVER!!!

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Dual Core
            2048 MB DDR 400 System Memory (Dual Channel)
            600 GB HDD (2x300 SATA Striping)
            Radeon X800XL 512MB
            Mail:
            curerom @ daemon-tools.cc

Comment

Working...
            X