Help with Bios Flashing/Upgrading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Bios Flashing/Upgrading

Hello, I am trying to Update/Flash my bios, but don't know how to do it, I don't even know where to look to obtain the bios flashing utility for my mainboard/chip. I was hoping hopefully someone could help me, and let me know how to flash my bios, and where to find the flashing utility for my mainboard.

I am posting the specifications for my motherboard and bios below, that I obtained using a system information tool.
    Code:
    My MotherBoard Specs: 

Property    Value
    Manufacturer    First International Computer, Inc.
    Model    VC37 Series
    Version    PCB 3.x
    Serial Number    Serial number xxxxxx

Chipset Vendor    Intel Corporation
    Chipset Model    845G/GL/GE Brookdale Host-Hub Interface Bridge (B1-step)
    South Bridge    82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge

CPU    Intel Celeron D
    Cpu Socket    Socket 478
    Processor Upgrade    ZIF Socket
    Max CPU Speed    3066 MHz

System Slots    3 PCI

Memory Summary    
    Capacity    1024 MBytes
    Location    System board or motherboard
    Maximum Capacity    2048 MBytes
    Memory Slots    2
    Error Correction    8-bit Parity
    Error Correction Capabilities    None
    Name    Physical Memory Array
    Use    System memory
    Maximum Memory Module Size    1024 MBytes

Warning!    Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Code:
    My Bios Specs/info:

BIOS Version    FIC    - 42302e31
        Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
        Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    BIOS Date    06/18/04
    BIOS Web Page    www.award.com
    BIOS Vendor    Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    Version    IHD19EM
    Release    06/18/2004
    BIOS Size    512 KB
    Characteristics    
        - supports booting from ATAPI ZIP drive
        - supports booting from LS-120
        - supports AGP
        - supports legacy USB
        - supports ACPI
        - Multi Proccesor supported by BIOS
        - supports INT 10 CGA/Mono video services
        - supports INT 17 printer services
        - supports INT 14 serial services
        - supports INT 09 and 8042 keyboard services
        - supports INT 05 print-screen
        - supports INT 13 3.5-inch/2.88M floppy services
        - supports INT 13 3.5-inch/720K floppy services
        - supports INT 13 5.25-inch/1.2M floppy services
        - supports INT 13 5.25-inch/360K floppy services
        - supports Enhanced Disk Drive specification
        - BIOS ROM is socketed
        - supports selectable boot
        - supports booting from CD-ROM
        - allows BIOS shadowing
        - upgradeable (Flash) BIOS
        - supports APM
        - supports Plug-and-Play
        - supports PCI
        - supports ISA

DMI Version    2.3 @000F0BE0
    If anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it, Thanks a bunch
    Xtemulation - Emulation News and Downloads
    Xtemulation Forums - Emulation Support

I put this in a search engine: VC37 bios
    and this was the first result:

Diese Website steht zum Verkauf! fica.com ist die beste Quelle für alle Informationen die Sie suchen. Von allgemeinen Themen bis hin zu speziellen Sachverhalten, finden Sie auf fica.com alles. Wir hoffen, dass Sie hier das Gesuchte finden!
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Thanks, However it requires a bootable floppy drive/disk, that my computer does not have right now, and don't have the money to buy right now.

Also the direction's were a little difficult to understand, and to mention how do you ente DOS to do this, I've tried booting into DOS, and I haven't been able to, because I don't know how to.

I really don't want to mess my computer up, is there any other tutorials/directions on how to flash my bios, without a floppy drive, and are easier to understand?

I've already downloaded the flashing utility, and bios file for my motherboard, but don't know what to do now, and am stuck

If anyone could help me again, I'd really appreciate it

Also, I don't mean to be a bother, I just want to upgrade my bios, to see if I'll be able to finally boot from my usb port, and thumb drive, so I could finish some things, I've been wanting to do.

Comment

You can use a cdrom, but a floppy drive (in my country) itґs about 5 euros.
        You can create a file to do all the process auto...
        Mejor morir de pie, que no vivir de rodillas.

Comment

Thanks, I can boot from cd-rom Just fine, and I have A cd/dvd-rw drive, so that should not be a problem.

Can you tell me how to make the file to do all of the things automatically, I'd really hate do do something wrong, and feck my computer up. Also How do I enter MS-DOS, or DOS?

I believe I got the right bios, and flashing utility for my motherboard. Like I said above it's an FIC VC37GV Motherboard, and the Bios is a Phoenix Award Bios. BTW what is my PCB Number of my motherboard, and how do I Find it? I believe my PCB Number is VC37GV

Look at the specs above, and see if the Link below is the bios and Flasher I need.

ftp://ftp.fica.com/BIOS/motherboards/socket478/VC37GV

And Then it shows my motherboard number, the file is VC37gv.zip, Do I have the correct one?

I Just don't want to mess my computer up, because I don't have any money to replace it right now, and at the same time I am brave enough to attempt this.

The Specs above are accurate, taken with a free system info Utility, not the embedded windows XP one, and is much better than the windows System Information tool.

Also I believe my Bios is Locked, to Prevent Overclocking. Will this prevent me from Flashing my Bios? Although the system info tool say's that it's flashable and upgradeable.

Thanks if you could help me again.
          Last edited by Xtreme2damax; 25.04.2006, 23:10.

Comment

look it could help

well if u got usb than it is pretty easy bcz i have just upgraded my bios with my usb b4 3 days.but i had a prob that how to make it bootable but i found soln.if u have a system that supports the usb boot as my system do then it is very very easy as u have the intel board.
            1 active ur usb boot conf from bios which is very simple,just enter bios and search 4 usb conf activate some thing u need
            2 use following info 4 making ur usb bootable
            simple is to download the HP soft for formating and converting ur usb to FAT system.windows can do the job but it does not support DOS start up disk files.so download this software form here
            From: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp2...00/SP27213.exe
            Size: 2.0 MB (2,071,896 bytes)
            then download these files of floppy boot config from here

extract them to a folder then give path to ur hp usb software and then the job is done
            format it into FAT system NOR of any NTFS r FAT32
            as it may cause problems futher
            format ur usb with the dos disk start up option marked give it path of the folder u have just extracted
            then download ur new updated bios files from intell webs.
            keep in mind that i have DGGC1101 board which is the new one and have an award bios
            then follow the instructions written in the updated bios read me file.
            i think it was to copy updating files to ur floopy or usb something like that.
            next is to reboot ur system and use ur usb to boot ur system.then next will be done by ur system.it flashes ur bios and updates needed things and resets everything.
            well u have to watch that which changes r being made to ur bios rearrange the settings and u got it what u want.remem 2 deattache ur usb b4 proceding 4 windows.

Comment

Working...
            X