This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No McAfee update

No update but the DAEMON Tools team has been contacted by McAfee.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I think part of the problem is this site below that states this file is part of Daemon Tools, when in fact it is not. They probably just google searched for this file, saw this page (which was the top of the list when I searched) and ASSumed it was accurate. It even lists Jelsoft as the manufacturer of the file. They're the ones who sell VBulletin (see the bottom of this page if you don't believe me).

MFEHIDK.SYS is a part of Daemon Tools software. Manufacturer: Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. www.daemon-tools.cc

*EDIT*
      I sent a message to them regarding this entry, explaining their moronic mistakes. Hopefully it will be updated with correct information, or removed completely.

*EDIT2*
      Turns out mfehidk.sys is actually part of McAfee according to a pdf on their website. I assumed (yeah, I know) that they didn't know what the file was and was blaming it's existence on the DTools team. Odd that only their AV has issues with DTools, though.
      Last edited by Jito463; 25.06.2006, 13:51.

Comment

mcafee total protection still running "strong"

Ok so it doesn't do a whole lot to denigrate McAfee. It may not be the best out there but it's not the worst. Regardless, people frequently have no choice but to ruin it deopending on their corporate culture. On to the topic.

I had the same experience regarding Daemon Tools and McAfee as everyone else. What I've done until i can find a more sufficient work around is to:

boot into safe mode.
        Open the Services Control Panel and disable McAfee Total Protection (MTP).
        Open the registry and Remove Daemontools from RunOnce (should only be one entry)
        Move C:\windows\system32\drivers\sptd.sys and sptd1005 to C:\temp
        reboot
        Open the Services control panel. re-enable and start the MTP service.

Now it's true that Daemon Tools has now been hobbled which of course is why I'll post again if for some reason I can beat someone else to a fix. I noticed some McAfee ExcludeItem entries in the registry but as of yet have not played with them.

Comment

Changes made on both sides...

Just to close the loop on this thread, I've confirmed that when using the latest build of Daemon Tools 4.0.3, this issue no longer occurs. Also, on the McAfee side, we've changed our driver files, to avoid the issue going forward.

I would say that both parties found better ways to accomplish their goals, and all should be well.

- McAfee Support

Comment

yes...well done everything is sorted. It is good to see people being friendly and working together

Comment

im running latest version of mcafee and DT and still getting problem... not fixed

Comment

Sr. Systems Engineer

This problem has nothing to do with Daemon Tools. I am having the same problem and have never used Daemon Tools on any of my servers. I have been to microsoft, got referred to McAfee and they sent me to Daemon Tools. McAfee is good at running away from problems if they are unable to resolve or research it. This is not the first time I have a bad experience with them. They must have some pretty lazy developers. If I were making the decisions, I'll go with Trend Micro instead of this McAfee crap. Do your work or take your stuff off the market.

Comment

This issue *was* resolved by both the McAfee and DAEMON Tools programmers last year.
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
                  X