Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New WinXPx64 update breaks Daemon 4.03x64!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just happened after new XP update

I just installed the latest (10) XP64 updates and had this error pop up. Sorry I don't have any answers other than the probable cause.

Gonna try to uninstall and reinstall...

3donovan3
    3bean3.com (IE Only... for now)

---
    amd x2 4400
    abit an8sli
    bfg7800gtoc
    2gb ocz 2.3.2.5

Comment

Remove Windows KB914784

To remove the HotFix and enable daemon tools svc again, the hotfix may be removed by browsing to the folder:
      C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB914784$\spuninst

If you used windows update to install the HotFix, or you installed multiple HotFixes at once, you MUST remove them in the order in which they were installed.

When running the spuninst.exe file, it will pop-up and tell you:
      Setup detected the following programs on your computer:
      Security Update for Windows XP (KBXXXXXX)

everything that it lists in the dialogue was installed at the same time the HotFix was installed. The hotfixes MUST be removed in the order they were installed.

For instance, I used windows update to install the HotFix and had to remove the following HotFixes in order:
      1. KB917953
      2. KB916281
      3. KB918439
      4. KB911280
      5. KB917344

... before I could remove the KB914784 HotFix that caused the problem.

Good luck, hope this helps

Comment

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg
        Frankly spoken, seems more to me that this was issued only
        to produce more work for us I do not see any good reason
        for all this crap
        That's what I was afraid of.

I tried uninstalling KB914784 and it worked like a charm.

Comment

I checked my eventlog, i have the same error in it about sptd.sys

Event Type: Error
          Event Source: sptd
          Event Category: None
          Event ID: 4
          Date: 13-6-2006
          Time: 22:41:02
          User: N/A
          Computer: DAAN3
          Description:
          Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
          Data:
          0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 52 00 ......R.
          0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 04 c0 .......А
          0010: 07 00 00 00 1d 00 00 00 ........
          0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
          0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Comment

Or if you did like me and just created a simple "restore point" prior to doing the updates, you can just "roll back" the installs and reinstall the ones you needed... Glad I wasn't the only one which noticed the foul-up from Microsoft, I figured they break something with all the patches they released today...As usual! Unfortunately it was Daemon that I seem to have a problem with, I'm using x64 edition if that matters, don't have access to my x32 edition to see if it occured on it as well or not.

Comment

How do I know in which order I installed the updates?
              Is the Auto Update feature of windows classed as Windows Update too?

Comment

I found this error only recently, and it hasn't just affected daemon tools. I'm finding it has caused problems with a range of applications. My NOD32 x64 program refused to open at startup, and a few other icons are missing from my taskbar.

Couple of hours later, most problems are solved.

But no D-tools. My error is slightly different to the ones found by others. I have completely lost the contents of my daemon tools directory. Everything is gone, the binaries, all gone, and the only thing left is the directory structure.

So, I try to reinstall D-tools, and because the installation requires the SCSI pass-through before installing, the installation fails, and constantly loads at startup. Because it cannot proceed, it won't install.

My suggestion is as follows, is it possible to make future versions capable of running without the SCSI pass-through? Similar to V3.47. Basically, make it so that if the SCSI pass-through fails on startup, it defaults to using a method from V3.47?

Also a final question, will V3.47 install on x64?

Comment

This affects anyone who wants...

...to install DT too. I've just posted a thread explaining the problem I was having just thrying to install a fresh copy. It hasn't appeared yet so I can't give you the link.

I uninstalled the "Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB914784)" and now it installed fine, first time!

Great post, thanks.

J.

Comment

I have the same problem but I'd rather uninstall Deamon Tools as I don't need it at the moment.

But I when I try to uninstall Deamon Tools - the uninstaller says "Setup is unable to validate installation".

Comment

XP x64 here, as well, uninstalled the windows "patch", and DT works fine now. I'm pretty sick of XP patches that make other stuff break, the last one I uninstalled made QuickTime break

Thanks!

Comment

I can verify that it is one of the eight patches released by Microsoft on 6/13/06. I'm using windows 64-bit also.

Comment

You are absolutely right!!? I also have this problem after updating my x64 windows xp. If you un-install the: WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914784-x64-ENU, daemon tools will work again. Or atleast it did for me, this update has something to do with kernel debugger security issue, so i assume they have made it impossible to have dt installed at the same time as KB914784??? Hopefully DT-team are working on how to fix this. Coz i love my DT4, but i would like to have a secure windows as well...

By the way, this is my first post on this forum. Hello everybody!!!

Comment

I can confirm that un-installing the KB914784 update will fix the problem. This works on x64 too, so no difference in bits...

Comment

No need to unistall daemon tools

Just go to add/remove programs, ccheck the box at the top that says show updates, find the offending update, click remove, windows will show a dialog box saying some updates won't work, click "who gives a shit" and unistall it

then restart go to windows update page, will see the only thing in their is the update you just removed, just unclick it and click the box that says hide this update.

And never use auto update again, lol

And a big Fuck you to Billy and his vole's up there at M$ for bringing us this piece of shit

Comment

Yeah, me too. Also using x64 edition, and when updated these days, daemon tools couldn't be run. Also can't uninstall or install SPTD (keeps me asking to install it).

Which exact patch is the one is causing trouble?

Comment

Working...
                                X