Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New WinXPx64 update breaks Daemon 4.03x64!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Visno
    I can verify that it is one of the eight patches released by Microsoft on 6/13/06. I'm using windows 64-bit also.
    Yeah, confirmed it's KB914784 update. Remove it and Daemon Tools will work again.

Comment

I can also confirm...I installed, had problems...uninstalled, and all problems were removed.

WIth that patch I couldn't uninstall, install, or make changes to daemon tools

Comment

Originally Posted by HaZe303
        Coz i love my DT4, but i would like to have a secure windows as well...

By the way, this is my first post on this forum. Hello everybody!!!
        Hello to you, too!

What concerns the quoted post from you:

This update does NOT FIX any holes!! Your windows is
        secure even without that update. They patched the kernel
        and this is deadly behaviour on a productive OS that is
        sold as retail. Its unbelievable, really.

Seems they also broke some Virus-Scanners for X64 and
        other drivers. Only god knows who had that crap idea.

Comment

Initialization Error

I am a 64 bit Windows user. Last night Windows had some updates and installed them. when I woke up my pc had restarted and I had this Daemon tools error on my screen
          Initialization Error
          This program requires at least Windows 2000 with SPTD 1.24 or higher. Kernel debugger must be deactivated.

What caused this and what can be done to fix it?

ADMINISTRATION: MOVED TO PROPER THREAD - NEXT TIME PLEASE USE THE SEARCH-FUNCTION
          TO CHECK IF PROPER THREAD ALREADY EXISTS. You save alot of time and us alot of unneccassary
          work! Thank you!

Comment

:/

LoL this error same as in windows vista. but in vista i cant uninstall that patch Well... i think m1cro$oft is trying to kill all illegal cd/dvd copies with these actions :\

Comment

Uninstall it!

You're really need to uninstall this "fix" and all would be ok.
              Thanks to all - My DT working now!!!

Comment

Hope the DT team will release a patch for this, because i think many will not uninstall the fixes that microsoft releases a few days ago.
                A patch is the best solution. Maybe standalone or in the next ver. of DT.

Comment

Solution

It's clearly have something to do with the updates for windows. Just uninstall Update for Windows XP (KB914784) (check in Ad/Remove programs "Show Updates") and restart. It works people, I tell you! Do not try anything else because:

1. This program will install SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD) layer on your computer. WARNING - SPTD is not compatible with kernel mode debuggers (SoftICE, WinDBG etc.)! Please cancel setup if you plan to use kernel debugger on this machine... at the installation of Daemon Tools

and

2. Microsoft Security Advisory (914784) Update to Improve Kernel Patch Protection activates kernel debugging

so... it's kind of contradicting...

[Administration]: This forum is moderated, so please do NOT
                  double- and triple-post. All posts are reviewed and that takes some time. Thank you!

Comment

They don't have to uninstall all the updates, just the one that breaks things. It's not even necessary, so there's not really a problem with removing it imo.

Comment

Originally Posted by Yce
                      LoL this error same as in windows vista. but in vista i cant uninstall that patch Well... i think m1cro$oft is trying to kill all illegal cd/dvd copies with these actions :\
                      I doubt it. Apart from the fact that they also "killed" LEGAL
                      DVD-emulation, they also break other apps that are not
                      involved in emulation at all, f.e. Anti-Virus, Monitor-drivers
                      /Printer-Drivers etc. etc.

And especially I do not see where they "killed" the cracks/
                      hacks. They simple added unwanted content to their systems
                      and what is even more a problem: this caused a huge distrust
                      not only at our side against Microsoft. Changing a productive
                      system THAT way is... (insert your favorite swearword here)

Comment

I just got the problem after installing the latest batch of critical updates for Windows XP x64, and the kernel security patch was among them... DT and alcohol drivers disappeared from the SCSI and RAID controllers group under Device manager, and both would not work. Thanks to you all though, I can get my DT to work again!

Thanks again, and I hope a "more proper" solution becomes available soon (though I don't expect MS to withdraw or post a corrected version of their frivolous kernel security patch ).

Comment

This was posted by ZombieKil in the Alcohol forums. Probably nothing new to the devs as I'm sure they're already aware of this, but it's interesting info for the rest of us.

Originally Posted by ZombieKil @ Alcohol
                          Some info on the kernel patch update that caused the problem!!

The x64-based versions of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 , Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and later versions of Windows for x64-based systems do not allow the kernel to be patched except through authorized Microsoft-originated hot patches. (In this article, "x64" refers to the 64-bit architecture that is used in AMD64 and Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology systems.) Kernel-mode drivers that extend or replace kernel services through undocumented means (such as hooking the system service tables) can interfere with other software and affect the stability of the operating system. For x86-based systems, Microsoft discourages such practices but does not prevent them programmatically because doing so would break compatibility for a significant amount of released software. A similar base of released software does not yet exist for x64-based systems, so it is possible to add this level of protection to the kernel with less impact on compatibility.

Many system structures are protected on x64-based systems, including the system service dispatch tables, the interrupt descriptor table (IDT), and the global descriptor table (GDT). The operating system also does not allow third-party software to allocate memory "on the side" and use it as a kernel stack. If the operating system detects one of these modifications or any other unauthorized patch, it will generate a bug check and shut down the system.

For compatibility with Windows for x64-based systems, drivers must avoid the following practices:

• Modifying system service tables, for example, by hooking KeServiceDescriptorTable

• Modifying the interrupt descriptor table (IDT)

• Modifying the global descriptor table (GDT)

• Using kernel stacks that are not allocated by the kernel

• Patching any part of the kernel (detected only on AMD64-based systems)

Drivers for other platforms should avoid these practices, to help ensure stability and reliability of the operating system and a better experience for customers.

If your driver must perform a task that you think cannot be accomplished without patching the kernel, contact Microsoft Product Support Services or your Microsoft representative to help determine if a documented alternative exists. If no documented alternative exists for the functionality you want to implement, then the functionality will not be supported on any Windows operating system that includes patch protection support.

Comment

I too can confirm that the update caused this. I hope we can get an updated DT version that will work. I'm not saying that to blame DT, but I just imagine it will be much, much harder to convince Microsoft to fix this...

Comment

General info like Jito463 posted:

ZombieKil's text was taken from

Last edited by JoelEllison; 16.06.2006, 03:52.

Comment

Nones fault!

Originally Posted by madman332
                                I too can confirm that the update caused this. I hope we can get an updated DT version that will work. I'm not saying that to blame DT, but I just imagine it will be much, much harder to convince Microsoft to fix this...
                                I don't think we should blame someone (though I'm not a Micro$oft fan). Those are just some requirements/dependencies like many others in IT - a common situation in another words... Just ignore the update or uninstall it (XP x64 I think it's very secure; sometimes I even "forget" to install an AV...) and as Locutus said: no holes are patched!

Comment

Working...
                                X