Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New WinXPx64 update breaks Daemon 4.03x64!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WinXPx64 update breaks Daemon 4.03x64!

I have had Daemon up and running ever since i had WinXP x64 installed. However, upon installing the newly released
    - "Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB914784)"
    which boasts
    -"improved Kernel patch protection" Daemon seems to be unable to successfully initialize upon starting the OS.
    This update was released today, June 13, 2006.

I forgot the exact text of the initialization error, but upon booting it says that Daemon tools failed to initialize and that daemon requires Win2k+ and not to use a kernel debugger.

The obvious solution now, which i have already done, is not install this update. However, it would be greatly appreciated if you could update Daemon to work around this new security.

Thanks, AllUltima

Solution??

I had the same problem after the recent update of microsoft patches i did (windowsupdate.microsoft.com).

It seems the problem on my system is caused by a patch by Microsoft which causes problems with SPTD. It seems this part of the software has problems with the kernel update.

For my system (windows xp x64) the problem is caused by patch :

Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB914784)
    Date last published: 6/13/2006
    Install this update to improve Kernel Patch Protection. Kernel patch protection in versions of Windows for x64-based systems protects code and critical structures in the Windows kernel from modification by unknown code or data. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

You can uninstall this patch in c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB914784$\spuninst and run spuninst.exe

I must warn you that it might a security risk to downgrade but hey i want to have my daemon tools running

After rebooting my problem went away.

If someone can find the windows xp version, please reply and try to uninstall that patch and tell us if it does the trick. O it might be handy to look in the uninstalldir of the patch, it should have a ntoskrnl.exe file in it.

To really solve this issue, people need to fix the SPTD to work with the new ntoskrnl.exe.

Comment

I agree AllUtlima, i just post the same info on this forum too.
      After a bunch of updates i figured out which patch caused it.

I have more info on how to install this patch on the x64 platform :

Comment

Yep, This just happened to me too. Hopefully it's a easy fix for daemon tool devs.

Comment

Hey I also got XP x64 and have the same Error message.
          Before I patched x64 everything worked fine. So it's definitly the new micro$oft patch.

Comment

we are aware of this bullshit already. As soon as we can say
            more about it, I will reply here. Until then, please keep this
            thread clean as good as it gets. Do only post here when
            you have new vital information!

Comment

all affected users:

what exactly is written in your syslog? (SPTD-related)

Comment

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg
                all affected users:

what exactly is written in your syslog? (SPTD-related)
                event viewer --> system:

0000: 00000000 00520001 00000000 c0040004
                0010: 00000007 0000001d 00000000 00000000
                0020: 00000000 00000000
                Dunno if that is what you are looking for.. I'll try and deinstall that update, cauz i already installed (Then deinstalled DT4, and when trying to reinstall, no go )

edit: ok, i deinstalled the update, reinstalled DT4 and awxDTools, everything runs smoothly now... so it really is that update
                Last edited by MoiZie; 13.06.2006, 23:58.

Comment

what does your syslog report - at least SPTD-driver should
                  mention something

Comment

thx, we already found issue. It requires alot of work, therefore
                    we can't safely determine when fix is available. For sure SPTD
                    needs update -> work is already in progress. I hope we can
                    provide a hotfix soon.
                    Duplex-Development

Comment

seems Microsoft do alot of shit and I bet not only DT is
                      affected. For now, all we can suggest is to not install that
                      patch if you need DaemonTools functionality. This is nothing
                      that can be fixed in 1-2 days.

Also I can not say how to NOT install that patch affects
                      system-security.

Comment

Kernel Debugger error after installing updates on x64 Edition

I installed a battery of updates for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and after it came back up from restart, Daemon Tools threw the kernal debugger error. I tried reinstalling but everytime I restart, the SPTD messages comes up telling me to restart again. Daemon-Tools worked fine up until I installed those updates so I'm not sure what's going on.

I do have Visual Studio 6, 7.1, and 8 installed but they did not cause any problems prior to the updates.

http://rac.freepgs.com/updates.png

Comment

I have x64 Edition and installed the these patches and now Daemon-Tools 4.03 fails to run and reinstall because of the SPTD.

Here's what the Event Viewer had to say about it:
                          Code:
                          Event Type:	Error
                          Event Source:	sptd
                          Event Category:	None
                          Event ID:	4
                          Date:		6/13/2006
                          Time:		6:31:29 PM
                          User:		N/A
                          Computer:	BY-2005
                          Description:
                          Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
                          Data:
                          0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 52 00   ......R.
                          0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 04 c0   .......А
                          0010: 07 00 00 00 1d 00 00 00   ........
                          0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
                          0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

Comment

as stated above: you need to deinstall either Daemon Tools
                            OR the patch which is mentioned above.

Atm, DT can't run together with that patch installed.

This patch adds some "benefit" to kernel-protection, however,
                            it does NOT fix ANY security-holes. It is some kind of
                            "precaution" - if someone would name it. Fact is: it is not
                            needed and this is what really is strange. A fix for something
                            that isn't broken.... Maybe this was no coincidence - go
                            figure

Comment

good, all vital info is already forwarded to responsible kernel-
                              developers.

For the moment, it seems you can safely uninstall the patch
                              which is responsible as it does NOT serve as a security-fix.
                              Even Microsoft state that this patch doesn't solve anything
                              at all. One day we have some Windows that control YOU
                              instead that you control your Windows. And that day is only
                              around the corner. Well just my 2cent.

Frankly spoken, seems more to me that this was issued only
                              to produce more work for us I do not see any good reason
                              for all this crap

Comment

Working...
                              X