Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about the IMG

Hi there,

I've just send a sugestion with the web form, but I've tought it could be a nice idea to place it here as well.

How about to add the img extention to the dropdown box on the Open Image dialog window? This is a very popular image extention! So this way when we open some file.img we don't have to type * or *.img at the File Name box to make the file appear on the file list.

Well, this is just an idea. Let me know what do you guys think about it.

Cheers,
    Unl

The problem is, img is not a true disc image format. It's primarily a floppy image format. While it's true it can be used for disc images, that's not what it was intended for.

Comment

I've read somewhere that img files are in fact standard iso files, so simply renaming them to .iso should work.
      I'm not 100% sure about this, but I guess it can't hurt to try

Comment

DT is able to mount .img files, but they aren't listed in the supported images, so you have to choose 'All files (*.*)' to mount an .img image.
        Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Originally Posted by Reef
          I've read somewhere that img files are in fact standard iso files, so simply renaming them to .iso should work.
          I'm not 100% sure about this, but I guess it can't hurt to try
          I should have clarified my statement. The .img extension is primarily designed for floppy images. If you rename an img file to iso, it will work just the same. But the extension is to designate floppies instead of CDs or DVDs. Not everyone follows that guideline, however.

@unl0cker
          The only times you usually see disc images with a .img extension is from warez. Where are you finding these files in such abundance if it isn't warez?

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463
            The only times you usually see disc images with a .img extension is from warez. Where are you finding these files in such abundance if it isn't warez?
            For some reason Microsoft sometimes releases their ISO images with an .img extension.

Comment

I've never seen a MS download with the img extension. Maybe your browser is renaming them for some unknown reason. I've downloaded .rar files from the Alcohol forum before (such as beta versions) that sometimes get renamed to .tar extension in the download. I have to manually rename it back to .rar.

Comment

Go here to see that MS does indeed supply IMG files. IMG files obviously are not all WAREZ.

Comment

I stand corrected.

Comment

We will not add img files to list of known extensions to avoid confusion with well known and popular CCD file format from CloneCD where IMG extension is used as main channel file with many tracks and sessions. CCD must be mounted instead here. So with respect to CloneCD we do not recognize IMG as a legal extension that can be used by burning programs or for mounting. If someone/somewhere uses this extension for normal ISO files (1 track in 1 session) it is his own matter and done at his own risk only - this is NOT iso in our point of view.
                    So if you trust the source (Microsoft in this case) you are free either to rename it back to iso or simply use "All files" option
                    and mount it as iso.

Comment

Thanks for the information VeNoM386.
                      Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Working...
                      X