Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop unplugging your drives for StarForce!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop unplugging your drives for StarForce!

Well, I'm gonna let you guys in on a little trick that is working for me. What I did was go out and buy a USB to IDE converter from a parts distributor (Parts Paradise Incorporated, (313) 794-0172).

The USB to IDE converter has a USB plug on one end, and an IDE plug on the other, and is basically the same logic controller that is inside of USB external hard drives.

This distributor also happens to carry an internal USB to external USB conversion cable. I plug the cable directly onto the USB header pins on my motherboard, and then I plug the USB to IDE converter into the cable and plug the IDE end onto the back of my DVD-RW. I use the regular power connector from my power supply to power my DVDRW. I then loop the cables (it's long, there are two of them in place of one IDE now) and replace the side of my PC.

This essentially becomes an internal external USB DVDRW. Nero can still read and write from the drive, and Windows picks it up as a standard DVDRW, I can even boot and install Windows from the drive. The beautiful part though is StarForce completely misses the drives presence.

Total cost: $20.

Newer versions of StarForce detect this and block it.

Comment

Working...
    X