Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DAEMON Tools 4 won't work with HoMM, needs 3.47 (analog audio)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAEMON Tools 4 won't work with HoMM, needs 3.47 (analog audio)

I wanted to post this in "Commong Problems and Solutions", but I apparently don't have the priviliges, and it probably makes more sense to post here.

Anyway, to the point. For the last two or so days I've been trying all kinds of ways to get good old Heroes of Might and Magic (yes, the very first one) for Windows working with CD stereo option, using a CD image (the game uses CD audio tracks from mixed-mode CD).
    And here's what I found - the only way to do that is to put on DAEMON Tools 3.47, turn on "Analog Audio" under options, AND disable digital audio for the virtual drive used. Any other combination (digital audio on drive on/off with D-Tools analog audio off/D-Tools 4.x) will either have no sound or the game will crash when trying to switch between sounds.

So I guess the "bug report" is partially a request to bring back the "Analog Audio" option to DAEMON Tools, since there are still games that won't work without it.

digital audio checkbox

Did you check (enable) the digital audio checkbox for the DAEMON Tools 4.xx drive? The option is in the device manager under the virtual cd/dvd drive.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Um... isn't that what I said?
      Originally Posted by Shadowbird
      the only way to do that is to put on DAEMON Tools 3.47, turn on "Analog Audio" under options, AND disable digital audio for the virtual drive used. Any other combination (digital audio on drive on/off with D-Tools analog audio off/D-Tools 4.x) will either have no sound or the game will crash when trying to switch between sounds.

Comment

Yes...same problem here with Earthworm Jim1 / Imperialism

While CD audio seems to play fine in WMP, the game does not recognize the digital audio tracks in the image.

So the only ways are either burn the image and hope it to run w/o probs or use DT 3.47 as I think I've read somewhere in this forum that Analog audio option has been disabled in DT4+ for technical issues...

Comment

Yeah, that's one of the points I forgot to mention:
          • the CD audio plays fine in CD players (WMP, foobar2000, etc.)
          • running from an actual physical CD also works fine
          • I tried two different versions (CDs) of the game, so it's not just a bad copy or something like that.

IMO, there is no question about that it's a faulty programming on the game's part, but the fact remains that the game NEEDS "Analog audio" on the DAEMON Tools "end" in addition to disabling digital audio on the drive. Isn't it possible to bring it back, in some optional component form or smth if necessary?

Comment

Does original work from real physical drive even if it is in Digital Audio mode?

Comment

Reading audio from the physical drive with digital audio on crashes the game just like the virtual drive. Analog (i.e. digital=off) works fine.

Comment

Then it just means bug is in game not in DT.
                So if you need to play with sound maybe better to use old DT on old OS: i understand you want analog audio back just to workaround bug in this game but it is hard to make workarounds with every game. This is exactly the case when publisher needs to update the game to make it compatible with new OS or hardware.
                You see we even removed analog audio from new DT menus, because new DT works on 2000+ only where all drivers are WDM and all "2000-compatible" software must work flawless
                with digital-audio feature from Microsoft and analog audio support is just waste of resources and development time.
                Mentioned game seems just not compatible with Windows 2000 and above: analog audio in our opinion has died toghether with Windows 95/98/ME. So if game needs it badly
                then best idea is simply to play under Win98.
                Maybe we will revise this point of view but no promises at the moment: we need to work on many other more important features.

Comment

Originally Posted by VeNoM386
                  Then it just means bug is in game not in DT.
                  That's what I said.
                  analog audio in our opinion has died toghether with Windows 95/98/ME. So if game needs it badly then best idea is simply to play under Win98.
                  Two sentences who IMO quite contradict each other. If Win9x is considered dead, then I can't really play anything on it, now can I?
                  Maybe we will revise this point of view but no promises at the moment: we need to work on many other more important features.
                  Thanks for explaining. I do hope you bring the analog audio back, if not in the main program then as an optional component/download/add-on or something, as mentioned previously. If not, then not.

Comment

I have the same problem with the image of wipeout 3 for playstation (the game uses CD audio tracks from mixed-mode CD).
                    I tried a lot of things to make tracks play in the game (I'm using epsxe emulator).
                    I spent a lot of time. I made several times the image, I even downloaded one, I tried differents virtual image utilities, unchecked digital audio in drive properties, The ONLY WAY it works is with Daemon tool 3.47, analog audio checked.
                    Although, this is not a bug in the game like it may not be for Homm. Musics with the original CD work without digital audio unchecked.
                    I plugged the cable between my soundcard and the cd/dvd drive.
                    I still have a ps2 to play but this game is much enhanced and enjoyable at high res on PC.

Analog audio is a great option. I'm using it also with pc engine cd images. Please, put it back, it will be greatly appreciated.

If you have any answer or question...

Comment

The only games you need it for are ones run through emulators like you're doing, and they're a legal grey area anyway. I don't see them changing this anytime in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Jito463: No. Heroes of Might and Magic was made for Windows, and as such it is not emulated in any way. And also I don't see what you mean by emulation being a "grey area" - anyone with the original console & game is free to legally play it on his computer, if the original game or console is out of order. Also, what does *possible* [il]legality have to do with program features?

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
                          The only games you need it for are ones run through emulators like you're doing, and they're a legal grey area anyway. I don't see them changing this anytime in the foreseeable future.
                          Try to answer more broad-mindedly

Comment

Working...
                          X